forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index forums.silverfrost.com
Welcome to the Silverfrost forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Error: ALLOCATE was unable to obtain sufficient storage

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aebolzan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:41 pm    Post subject: Error: ALLOCATE was unable to obtain sufficient storage Reply with quote

I would like to know what really means this error, because I get it from a program that was running fine....till now.....I do not see where the problem is, because the allocation I am trying to do is just for 200 data points!...I am driving nuts!. I have an old release version of the program that runs fine: if I recompile the same code but now with debbuger, the program crashes with that message.

Agustin
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agustin

Could you provide more information please.

1. 32 bit or 64 bit?
2. /check, /undef used?
3. "stat=" used or exception raised?
4. Provide the line of code and context that causes the failure
JohnCampbell

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old versions of FTN95 /32 with /check did not appear to release memory to the available pool when DEALLOCATE was selected, or the memory pool was less, or not using the heap. ( I can't remember if this was a problem with /debug also or with SDBG)

I think that this problem has been fixed with more recent versions (not sure which ver no) or will be with /64 /check.

My work around was to test release code or minimise the use /check in routines that repeatedly used ALLOCATE. I used more primitive approaches of writing debug code to test the allocated arrays and report their size, while using release code ( no option or /opt ) All these problems disappeared with /64, although I have not gone back to test /check problems.

John
aebolzan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the belated answer, but I was out during the last weekend. Apparently the problem is when using /CHECK and under Windows 8. With Windows 10 the program runs fine. Release+/CHECK fails (WIn8 only), Release without /CHECK runs fine (both Win8 and 10). The code is very simple

Code:
external count_lines
    ndata = count_lines (filename)
!    write (*,*) ndata,' lines identified'
!
    if (allocated(data_point)) deallocate(data_point)
    allocate(data_point(ndata))

seems that the problem is win8.......WIN32 application by the way...

Agustin
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agustin

I don't know why this is failing but perhaps the simplest fix is to switch off /check for this part of the code. You could, for example, move this to a separate routine in a separate file and switch off /check for that file.

Win32 with /check does reduce the amount of memory available to ALLOCATE but there is no obvious reason (to me) why there should be a difference between Windows 8 and Windows 10.

As a general rule, /check is designed for testing and development only, so /check would normally be switched off when releasing software to customers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> Support All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: