forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index forums.silverfrost.com
Welcome to the Silverfrost forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Data Copy for IPC

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Clay

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:25 pm    Post subject: Data Copy for IPC Reply with quote

Is it possible to make use of Data Copy (WM_COPYDATA) as an interprocess communication tool? I'd like to use a 3rd party graphics application to create an on-the-fly dashboard so that I can see real-time information about calculations happening in my main program. If this is possible, then I'd appreciate any hints about how to set up and use this feature.
Thanks in advance.
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may be able use ClearWin+, the function winio@ and the format code %mg. Details can be found online and in the help file ftn95.chm.
Clay

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:59 pm    Post subject: Data Copy for IPC Reply with quote

Thanks Paul. How would I send an array of real values to a different process? Looks like winio@ with %mg is only able to communicate a couple of integer values.
LitusSaxonicum

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can put them in a file, send the name across, and read the file in the other program. If the write and read-back are close, then the file may still be in the disk cache to run at RAM speeds - you could be more certain of that if you used a RAM disk. There's also shared memory, but I've never used it.
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a description of how to extend ALLOCATE for shared memory under 32 bit Win32, see the help file ftn95.chm (or the online help) under FTN95 Fortran language extensions->Extended ALLOCATE statement.
DanRRight

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul,

Would be great to add this example to the Examples folder. And extend it. It was not extened for 20 years. Things are that the FTN95 Help is now HUGE, and not all people RTFM. Me for example. I never read any instructions or manuals. Including my professional ones. I studied physics solving the tasks and exercises and also only after i failed to solve the problem myself i looked at these textbooks.

The only manual/instructions/helpfile i had ever read was now defunct and combined with HelpFile Clearwin+ manual. This happened only after i have ran all the Clearwin+ examples supplied with the compiler i tried to extend my GUI beyond the examples. Same was with OpenGL and FTN95 itself.
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. Thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: