forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index forums.silverfrost.com
Welcome to the Silverfrost forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Illegal Pointer problem
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alangr

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:16 am    Post subject: Illegal Pointer problem Reply with quote

I have raised this issue in the General forum and perhaps I should really have raised it here. Below is a summary of the discussion so far which I am nopw raising here in the hope that someone can give me an idea on how to go forward to find a solution.

Thanks for reading.
------------------------
Hi
I have been using FORTRAN for some time (Salford 77 and now Silverfrost Ftn95) and I am now getting an 'illegal pointer' error and thus an access violation during execution.
The program has been growing slowly with no problems until now. As far as I am aware, I am not using pointers (certainly not defined, anyway) so I am wondering if anyone can shed some insight on what is/may be going on. I am running under DOS.

The code at which the problem occurs has been executed at least once before failing. The program is very basic and unsophisticated but I do need to overcome this problem to proceed.

Any comments. views, suggestions welcome!

Thanks
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Can you reduce the size of the malfunctioning program and post the source code here? If the program needs to read data files or uses include files, those will also be needed.

When a program crashes, you usually receive a traceback. Please record and provide the traceback information, since we can determine from it whether the illegal access occurred in your code, the runtime library or in the OS.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi
I was afraid that this would be necessary! The program has about 50 subroutines and reads data from 30 or so tables in different directories (it is a game I am working on). In addition there are saved games that need selection and loading so it would be a substantial undertaking (for me and for anyone looking at it also.

When you refer to traceback, do you refer to the list of called routines? That is certainly available.

If there is no other reasonable way to investigate the matter I will get a zipped file together; please let me know.

Thank you for your interest and help.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes. The traceback will let you know whether the crash occurred in one of your Fortran subroutines, the Fortran RTL or the OS. Having that information would let you look at the offending routine more closely than otherwise.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am developing thr program using the Salford debugger, SDBG so I know just where the fault occurs. I give below the point at which it fails.

The ORGPLY routine is executed (at least) once and all seems to be OK. Then before the last HEADER call the variable P is 5 (P is not in a common block). When the problem is to happen, the HEADER call executes OK as far as the results are concerned (a screen commentary on progress) but when control comes back to the ORGPLY routine, P is already declared as an illegal pointer.

So the HEADER routine seems to do something to upset things. I have stepped through HEADER and checked the screen and I cannot see anything amiss - but clearly something odd is happening.

I tried putting P into a common block and this did allow the MENU call to work OK; but then the illegal pointer error happened in an input routine in the MENU routine.

Do you have any ideas for a way forwards from here?

Thanks!

SUBROUTINE ORGPLY
(Text plus common blocks in INCLUDE statements.
INTEGER K, I, L, P
10 CALL HEADER
P=5
CALL MENU(P, K)
IF(K.EQ.1) THEN

-------------------------------------------------------
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
JohnCampbell

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks as if you may have an interface problem with MENU.
You could try compiling all code with /check, then run in SDBG.
Another option would be to put all code in a single file and compile with /check.
alangr

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your suggestion. I am already compiling with /check though!

I will try the 'single file' approach but I am wondering how this might help - although it would add a substantial re-compilation overhead to program development if it works.

You are pointing to possible problems with MENU but before the HEADER call all seems OK and on return P becomes an illegal pointer before the MENU call. Could it not be some problem in HEADER? Not that I have any idea what!
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it run OK if you don't use /check?
alangr

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, it does not. It fails as before with P being an illegal pointer on return from HEADER.
wahorger

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried (or is it OK with how your code is designed) to use the /SAVE option, making all local variables statically allocated?
alangr

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your suggestion. I added /save to the compiler options and the program ran OK well past the previous point at which it failed previously.

I am now a little outside my comfort zone in understanding just what is happening. OK, I can see from the manual that the program is now using dynamic storage rather than the stack so does it imply that the stack was getting corrupted in some way before? If so, is it a case of waiting to see what the next problem is since something unusual is going on?

I also notice that 'its use should usually be avoided' according to the manual; so while I am pleased to be able to continue working I wonder what may be in store.

Or am I simply worrying too much?

Whatever, many thanks for your help.
LitusSaxonicum

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan,

Like you I have used FTN77 and later FTN95 for many years. I came across a problem like this (that is solved by /SAVE) once in all that time.

Essentially, in traditional Fortran, anything in a COMMON block has storage allocated to it for the whole program run (I declare it in the PROGRAM unit to be sure, as I'm not a trusting soul), but all other variables have space allocated when they are used, and this storage is released when the subprogram exits.

It happened to me in association with the return value for a WINIO@ call, so when you write:

IR = WINIO@( ...

and you have a subroutine that sets up window that continues in existence after the subroutine exits, the return path is lost because the storage associated with IR is freed.

Decades ago, many mainframe compilers allocated everything statically anyway, but FTN is smart.

If you program with MODULEs, then the rules of what is statically allocated and what is not are more complex (no doubt Mecej4 would say 'marginally').

If anything is helped by /SAVE, or indeed by SAVE in a subprogram, it is because you are relying on a variable continuing to be in existence when its storage has been released. I used to think I was ace at not assuming this, but WINIO@ caught me out. I never before used FUNCTIONs that returned an error/success code, as I regard this as a sort of abomination, having been brought up on a more restricted view of programming styles).

I have a feeling that if you spread WINIO@ calls across several routines the same problem arises. I certainly do this for very complicated windows.

(I made the assumption that you were using Clearwin+ from your mention of games, but there must be analogous situations even if you are not).

Eddie
mecej4

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

LitusSaxonicum wrote:

Essentially, in traditional Fortran, anything in a COMMON block has storage allocated to it for the whole program run (I declare it in the PROGRAM unit to be sure, as I'm not a trusting soul.

Variables in a named COMMON block are not given an implicit SAVE attribute if that block does not occur in the main program unit. In such a case, every block that the user wants to save must be explicitly given the SAVE attribute in each subprogram where that block is used. (paraphrasing 5.2.4 of Fortran 95 standard).
LitusSaxonicum

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well there you go. So even COMMON isn't the friend I thought it was. But then all my named COMMON blocks are always in my main program unit, because I started that way. Does BLOCK DATA give them a SAVE? It would be logical if it did, not that I use BLOCK DATA either! (I do my initialisation is SUBROUTINE BLOCK_DATA, and then I can re-initialise things if I feel the need).

What happens with blank COMMON - seems that has an implicit SAVE.

So what are the rules for MODULEs? Not that I need to know, but no doubt someone does.

Eddie
mecej4

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your common sense and experience serve you well, but standards writers have to cater to us pedestrians, too.

Then, there are historical reasons for the distinction between blank common and labelled common: on mainframes, blank common could not be initialized because the memory area in which blank common was placed was used by the linker/loader itself, and became available only when the loader was done and handed control to the just-loaded program.

I never liked BLOCK DATA. It is so easy to forget to include the corresponding OBJ file at link time. If you do forget, you won't see any linker errors, but your program will do unexpected things because the intended initialisations did not take place.

Section 5.5.2.4 of Fortran 95 says this about blank common:

Quote:
Differences between named common and blank common

A blank common block has the same properties as a named common block, except for the following:

(1) Execution of a RETURN or END statement may cause data objects in a named common block to become undefined unless the common block name has been declared in a SAVE statement, but never causes data objects in blank common to become undefined (14.7.6).

(2) Named common blocks of the same name shall be of the same size in all scoping units of a program in which they appear, but blank common blocks may be of different sizes.

(3) A data object in a named common block may be initially defined by means of a DATA statement or type declaration statement in a block data program unit (11.4), but objects in blank common shall not be initially defined.
alangr

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all who have commented. I hope that the /SAVE will keep things running, at least for a while. In passing, I did try the idea of putting all the code into a single file but that did not help at all.

So, thanks again, your help is really appreciated.
LitusSaxonicum

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neat! But I hardly call you a pedestrian.

Ultimately, the point of the original request was to track down why the pointer error occurred, and subsequently why /SAVE fixed the problem. The answer lay with something becoming undefined. Now most of us who program by experience as distinct from a reading of the Fortran standard know about variables being undefined on exit from a program unit, but it creeps up on you with WINIO@, and I suppose too in named COMMON blocks that aren't defined in a main program unit.

The problem you describe (of a BLOCK DATA subprogram being missed at link time) is one I never encountered, but Les Hatton who used to write on such matters once wrote that if you used named BLOCK DATA routines, and used those names in an EXTERNAL statement, you at least got an error if they were missed. I thought that was dodgy, partly because I used machines/compilers that didn't even have BLOCK DATA, let alone named BLOCK DATA, and I regarded EXTERNAL as being intended for something else so his usage was abusing it. (I only ever use EXTERNAL in connection with Clearwin+).

I suppose that I reconcile my frequent reading of the user manuals with extremely rare recourse to the Fortran standard as the result of decades-long experience that compilers don't always follow the standard, but then compilers don't always follow their own manual ...

So, why don't you spill the beans on what you are likely to find happening to variables defined in MODULEs? If such a module is USEd in a main program unit, then is the data in it effectively SAVEd, but if not, then is it effectively lost when one exits the last subprogram that USEd it?

That could be the problem described in another thread.

Eddie
mecej4

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

LitusSaxonicum wrote:
...What are you likely to find happening to variables defined in MODULEs? If such a module is USEd in a main program unit, then is the data in it effectively SAVEd, but if not, then is it effectively lost when one exits the last subprogram that USEd it?

Yes. In regard to this question, module variables and labelled common block variables are very similar. Here is the relevant extract of the standard, section 14.7.6:
Quote:
(3) The execution of a RETURN statement or an END statement within a subprogram causes all variables local to its scoping unit or local to the current instance of its scoping unit for a recursive invocation to become undefined except for the following:
(c) Variables in a named common block that appears in the subprogram and appears in at least one other scoping unit that is making either a direct or indirect reference to the subprogram.
(e) Variables accessed from a module that also is referenced directly or indirectly by at least one other scoping unit that is making either a direct or indirect reference to the subprogram.

You may observe that even the wording is similar. The main difference is that module variables are accessed by name (as modified by rename clauses, if any) whereas named COMMON block variables are accessed by their positions relative to the base of the block.

To protect against module variables becoming undefined, one can specify SAVE for a subset or all the variables in a module, as an alternative to USEing the module in the main program.
LitusSaxonicum

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent. I'm sure your summaries will prove to be cross referenced when there is another user with a similar problem. Eddie
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> Support All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: