forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index forums.silverfrost.com
Welcome to the Silverfrost forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Native %pl
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> ClearWin+
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DanRRight

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be patient, making good universal utility is time consuming, lot and lot of adjustments will still be done I am sure.

Great that INDEPENDENT was introduced but this will complicate the development.

I already see improvements even in current %pl, it became more stable, before it crashed at values > 1e22, now it goes much higher and is still OK.
Though if you add into settings parameter list by mistake something not supported (like X_min=1. for example, probably needs to be added too if it was not) it might still crash
aebolzan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that this new tool needs more symbols for scatter plots and more control on the axes, first...then maybe the possibility of drawing axis on top and right....it should also be noted that the scheme is rather rigid, i.e. one cannot change line style or colour on the fly, it should be set at the very beginning......but I think I can live with this.......at least for now.....

Agustin
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback.

1) Y_MIN and Y_MAX appear in the original documentation.

2) [x_array] sets a TRUE/FALSE flag for all the graphs.

3) CHANGE_GRAPH_STYLE@ can be called to change the line style, the pen style and the colour.

What would the extra plot symbols look like?
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agustin

The main problem with your code is that you should not call ROTATE_FONT@ from the callback Legend. This is one of the routines "like SCALE_FONT@" referred to in the instructions.

The tick mark positions are not pleasing but maybe you can adjust the settings or use [dx=fval] and [dy=fval] to get a better result.
aebolzan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

PaulLaidler wrote:
Thanks for the feedback.

3) CHANGE_GRAPH_STYLE@ can be called to change the line style, the pen style and the colour.

yes, that's right.....I forgot this during my comments....

Quote:

What would the extra plot symbols look like?

I think about open and filled squares, open and filled circles and maybe some types of triangles, but the first ones are the most commonly used and traditional. I do not know how dificult could be to implent the symbols for %pl

Agustin
aebolzan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

PaulLaidler wrote:
Agustin

The main problem with your code is that you should not call ROTATE_FONT@ from the callback Legend. This is one of the routines "like SCALE_FONT@" referred to in the instructions.

The tick mark positions are not pleasing but maybe you can adjust the settings or use [dx=fval] and [dy=fval] to get a better result.

this means that %pl would need a new facility for changing the axis labels on the fly......unfortunately the way I found is not allowed....

Agustin
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agustin

Some of these plot symbols are already available with [native], see the extra styles added to the existing 0,1 and 2.

I have thought of a way to overcome the problem with calls to ROTATE_FONT@ and SCALE_FONT@ but I am not sure when I will be able to get this ready for you.
aebolzan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

PaulLaidler wrote:
Agustin

Some of these plot symbols are already available with [native], see the extra styles added to the existing 0,1 and 2.

I have thought of a way to overcome the problem with calls to ROTATE_FONT@ and SCALE_FONT@ but I am not sure when I will be able to get this ready for you.

don't worry....I am still learning the use of the new %pl.......I am slowly moving my code from Simpleplot to %pl. The axis labels is for the moment a question of a detail, not urgent at all....in the meantime I will check the extra styles you mention...
DanRRight

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

PaulLaidler wrote:
Thanks for the feedback.

Sorry for mistake, indeed both Y_min and Y_max are included.
The X_min and X_max what are absent!

/* devilry tricked me again. When I tried Y_max in my code it crashed so i wrote the stuff above about missing Y_max. Further investigation showed that i hit the character variable length 320 bytes which sets %pl parameters.... No matter how reasonably long i set it i eventually hit the end Sad
aebolzan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 12:18 am    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

DanRRight wrote:
PaulLaidler wrote:
Thanks for the feedback.

Sorry for mistake, indeed both Y_min and Y_max are included.
The X_min and X_max what are absent!

/* devilry tricked me again. When I tried Y_max in my code it crashed so i wrote the stuff above about missing Y_max. Further investigation showed that i hit the character variable length 320 bytes which sets %pl parameters.... No matter how reasonably long i set it i eventually hit the end Sad

but you can always select a subset of your data and assign it to a new x_array, which can then be used in the new function CHANGE_GRAPH_DATA@.....this is actually what I do....however....I am still testing some things, because I observed sometimes that the tick labels on the far right side of the x-axis use to disappear...but I have to confirm this...
DanRRight

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course if X_min and X_max are absent in %pl you have to cut the data yourself for all the plots but here I am talking about suggestion to add for future %pl. If there exist Y_min and Y_Max then there literally must be X_Min and X_Max. This is the key feature, all graphics programs in the world have it.

Another my suggestion is to make %pl not hang the code in any circumstances. Instead the warning window must pop out and tell something.
aebolzan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:58 am    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

PaulLaidler wrote:
Agustin

I have tested the new options for symbols by changing the style to 3, 4, 5 and 6, but observed that it strongly depends on the value of the "width", and you can only have one "width" for all plots.....this means, that if I want to have some symbols, the line plots will always have a line thickness that will depend on the type of symbol you want for the additional scatter plot........now we are back to a previous discussion about why to have only one width for all plots......now we know why each plot needs its own "width"......or am I wrong?

Agustin
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan

I will see if I can add x_min and x_max within the current design. This would be for use with the [x_array] option, otherwise the minimum and maximum x values can be provided as it is.

The suggestion about continuing after a ClearWin+ error is an interesting one but having thought about it, there are real obstacles to this.

1. Most ClearWin+ errors are not of a recoverable kind. The programmer's intention is paramount.

2. In most cases the ClearWin+ code is written so that there is no program path after a failure.

3. ClearWin+ would have to guess what was intended or use a default input value and this does not seem very helpful.

4. As things are that the moment, the exception handler would need to be developed otherwise there would be no trace-back and hence no information about where the failure occurred in user's code.
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agustin

As a minimum, it looks like we need a separate parameter for the symbol size.
I will see what can be done.
LitusSaxonicum

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul,

As regards your 08:23 post, from the perspective of FTN95 an error message and program termination may be a tidy endpoint, but from the perspective of the user and the Fortran programmer it's a messy crash.

It looks like even Microsoft have given up on the idea that software can be crash-free, and so several of the latest generation MS Office products save work periodically and make recovery of those saved states possible. As programmers are probably many times more likely to be the source of these problems than FTN95, maybe it is encumbent on programmers to do the same, and that would catch even the odd case where FTN95/ClearWin+ was the problem!

Eddie
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> ClearWin+ All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9

Jump to: