forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index forums.silverfrost.com
Welcome to the Silverfrost forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Just connecting to LPT1

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LitusSaxonicum

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 9:50 am    Post subject: Just connecting to LPT1 Reply with quote

Programming in Fortran isn't my "day job". I've just written an application using the FTN95pe (it's fixed format FTN77, so I also compile it with FTN77 etc) to replace something that used to run fine in DOS, but won't run nicely in a DOS box (no ANSI, and output to a plotter on LPT1 is buffered, so the plotter goes in fits and starts). All I want to do now is to squirt some HPGL commands directly from my application to a plotter connected to LPT1. (HPGL commands are a two-letter mnemonic, followed by a variety of numeric parameters). Everything else works.

If I open a file, using say:

OPEN (99, FILE='Lineprinter.plt', STATUS='UNKNOWN')

Then the plotter commands work fine.

If instead, I open as follows:

OPEN(99,FILE='LPT1:')

then the program gets to this step, and exits immediately, closing all CLEARWIN windows. The FTN95 documentation states explicitly that this should work (although the example uses Unit Cool, and makes absolutely no qualifications about it.

Using my own routines for generating HPGL saves me from having to think, although they never get to execute is the program crashes on the OPEN.

Any advice would be helpful.

Eddie Bromhead
Kingston University

LitusSaxonicum

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 3:35 pm    Post subject: Just connecting to LPT1 Reply with quote

... well, I moved it to a different PC, which doesn't have a NOVELL NETWARE binding, and it works. Not a Salford problem, not an Eddie B. problem, just another example things working at home but not at my Uni.

E.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> Support All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: