forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index forums.silverfrost.com
Welcome to the Silverfrost forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Request for HLP files in W8/10 compatible format

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mecej4

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:33 pm    Post subject: Request for HLP files in W8/10 compatible format Reply with quote

Paul, if it is not too much trouble, I should appreciate being able to obtain the SCC help files in the W8/10 compatible format. Microsoft have phased out the old .HLP file reader and the W7 version does not work on W8 or W10.

Thanks.
LitusSaxonicum

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks from https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/917607 that you can get the help system right up to Win 8.1, but definitely not for Win 10.

HTML help has been the default for a lot longer than I care to remember.

There are various help utilities out there. At this address there in a HLP to CHM converter (https://www.helpscribble.com/vista.html) - easy to convert if you used the tool to create .HLP. but more complicated if you need to decomple the HLP file if it was generated in something else.

The remaining problem is the 80 Euro price tag ... (although the HLP decompiler is free)

Eddie
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. Thank you for reminding me that we need to do this. There is something on Youtube that shows you how to over-ride the Windows 10 prohibition but it does involve downloading someone's free utility.
silicondale

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So is there any other source of documentation for SCC? I still have the old paperback Salford manuals (Fortran user, Fortran library, linker, Clearwin+) but I don't think I ever had one for SCC.

Irritating thing is that I only need to compile one C file, but have no idea what switches to use. It's throwing up a lot of error messages.
mecej4

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The current version, 8.10, includes CHM help files for the Fortran and C compilers. I have the personal edition, and the CHM files work fine.

You can also obtain a copy of WINHLP32.EXE from a PC running XP and use that to replace the stub WINHLP32.EXE in \windows\SysWOW64 on Windows-10-64 bit.
silicondale

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks mecej4 ! - I bought v8.0 last year - which doesn't have the CHM file. Will download the 8.1 personal edition now, but need to do this into a different computer to avoid problems!
Tried the WINHLP32.EXE yesterday but for some reason it fell in a heap. I think the new CHM is a better answer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: