forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index forums.silverfrost.com
Welcome to the Silverfrost forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dependency relationships

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stan39

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:37 pm    Post subject: Dependency relationships Reply with quote

I am plagued in FTN95 Express compilations under Visual Studio by error messages that show that dependency relationships between the modules have not been properly determined. One can see this as the compilation unfolds because module compilations occur in alphabetical order, whereas they must occur in dependency order.

Plato has an option for finding and using these dependencies but I have not found its counterpart in the Visual Studio IDE. Is there one?
JohnCampbell

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stan,

I have always considered resolving the dependency relationships to be my responsibility and not that of the IDE. I mostly use a .bat file for building and have the order sorted. It should not be that hard.

John
stan39

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:28 pm    Post subject: Dependency relationships Reply with quote

Dependency determination just seems like a mundane task that ought to be part of any good IDE, and Plato agrees. Why can't every sophisticated IDE do it? Just as we let the computer tell us how many entries are in a list rather than counting them by hand, so should we expect the computer to perform most mundane tasks.
John-Silver

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The FTN95 Express uses a very old and cut-down 'Shell' version of Visual Studio and won't contain all features of the full IDE.
Recently there was a post where use of the recent (and free) 'Community Edition' was briefly discussed and it was confirmed to work alongside FTN95, although -i don't recall the details.
Even that version might not include what's wanted but the full blown Enterprise version should no doubt.
stan39

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks John. I was not aware of the abridged features in Express. I'll be looking into the forum report regarding the Community Edition of Visual Studio.

I've implemented a work-around regarding my current dependency issue. Since I know the dependencies (e.g. from pure reasoning or from reading the .ini file from a Plato compile) I can rename the modules so their new alphabetical order corresponds 1:1 to their dependency order.

Problem solved. Now both Plato and Visual Studio work fine on this particular code.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> Plato All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: