forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index forums.silverfrost.com
Welcome to the Silverfrost forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

error 112 while I did initialize integer with -2139062144

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RagD

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:20 pm    Post subject: error 112 while I did initialize integer with -2139062144 Reply with quote

Hi all,

'm not terribly experienced at fortran-coding (3~4 weeks under my belt for fortran; i've done more matlab-scripting before this) but I have the feeling I encountered an error that shouldn't be there (i.e. rather a source-code error or similair)

at a specific integer number, i get an 112 error (which said I did not initialize the variable), while I did initialize that specific number. The following code contains this problem (very simplified). I tried updating silverfrost but that didn't help ("PLATO version 4.7.0"). I'm on a windows 8.1 machine (64-bits) if anyone wants to know

Code:
program why_doesnt_it_work

implicit none

integer::i

i=-2139062143

print*,i

i=-2139062145

print*,i

i=-2139062144 

print*,i   

!the previous two integers got printed, but at this point, I initialize the variable "i" with the new number, but when called upon in line 10 it says: !"error112,reference to undefined variable, array element of function result (/UNDEF)" - " main -  in file mfd.f95 at line 10 [+0151]"

end program why_doesnt_it_work

I encountered the problem while I did a loop over all integers [do i=-huge(i),huge(i)] to check if a function worked properly for all integers. In this do-loop, I entered the integers one-by-one into a function, and the error occured only in the function (and not in the main program that contained the do-loop). Only for a specific integer, value -2139062144 did the problem occur (as shown in code above; the other two integers work just fine)*

However, the problem does seem a bit hit-and-miss, as in different codes that error did not always appear (although the code shown above consistently hits that error on my computer)

I hope you could give me some guidance/assistance/insight with respect to that weird error

RagD

*note, since the do-loop couldn't get past -2139062144, I did not check if this problem also occurred at higher values
JohnCampbell

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you are using Plato, try using different compile options:
Release Win32
Debug Win32
CheckMate Win32

You will find only the last fails, as -2139062144 is used to indicate an undefined value. The last opting includes /undef

That's the way it works !

John
RagD

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh, wow, thanks, that works.

just wondering; how do those other compiling options reference to an undefined number? With an external bit that defines the variable to be set?
And/or are there any other unexpected traps I can expect when doing a loop over all the integers or reals?

RagD
wahorger

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In general, the 80 (hex) pattern is used for ANYTHING to indicate it is "undefined". Including real/doubles/etc. When encountered, if /CHECKMATE is being used, you'll get the trap. But, if you compile and run as /RELEASE, no problem.

I have code that creates these patterns nearly every time it runs, so I cannot run in /CHECKMATE if I'm doing anything other than a quick run to check out a change.

C*1, I*1, L*1 = 80
I*2, L*2 = 8080
I*4,R*4,L*4 = 80808080
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> Support All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: