forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index forums.silverfrost.com
Welcome to the Silverfrost forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HELP File (.CHM) - Printing the Document Tree

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John-Silver

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:24 am    Post subject: HELP File (.CHM) - Printing the Document Tree Reply with quote

I'd like to print the fully expanded document chapter tree for the FTN95 Help file. (I'm memory deficient and like to see the overall tree on paper !)

When expanded it'll run to something like 50 pages, so screen grab after screen grab is out of the question.

I've tried to find a program to print the tree automatically from a .CHM file but without success.

Can anybody suggest a good, easy way of doing this ?

Alternatively, Paul, is the .CHM Help file available in WORD format by any chance ? (as the document map's printable in that format).

CHM to WORD programs exist but I have had limited succcess with them and not yet found a free one without limitations !

Thanks.
IanLambley

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try selecting the "Contents" tab and pressing the print icon.
Check the "Print the selected heading and all sub-topics" option
Select a pdf printer and OK that.
Repeat for the other 16 main headings.
Regards
Ian
John-Silver

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ian, but I already tried that and it prints the WHOLE document, all 500+ pages !!!
All I'm looking to print is the 'tree' of the document sections in the left hand pane.
Need some clever .chm progrom or Word document to do it.
LitusSaxonicum

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Screen grab and print? Might help to have a tall monitor - mine rotate into portrait format ...
John-Silver

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep that was my first thinking Eddie, thanks, but at 50 images for the fully expanded contents it's a last resort !!!!

Paul must have a Word format (or even html). I can then easily print off within Word (I think !)
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The files are available here http://silverfrost.com/ftn95-help/ftn95_contents.aspx as .aspx.
LitusSaxonicum

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,

This time I tried it before sounding off. If you run multiple copies of the help file, and shrink their windows do that they fit only the tree-view index, you can get several on screen at a time. That reduces the number of pages to print.

Eddie
John-Silver

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul, there are files there on the page you linked to of course, but they're not Word, not for that matter even direct Html files, they're .aspx files , i.e. dynamic html script files, which are in practice not much use for what I'm trying to achieve.
Even if I convert them (about as easy as converting .chm), all hyperlinks are lost !
Fine for updating documentation I'm sure, but not for user manipulation.

Eddie, thanks for the supplementary suggestion.

One other point for Paul's future note is that the sections in the HELP aren't numbered ! This would make referencing them a million times easier !

Apart from listing the 'contents' of the .chm file for 'quick reference' when not at the computer (my primary aim), I'm also interested to know how the .chm help differs from the on-line help (all the individual docs on the page Paul referenced.
It's all about getting an overall view of the whole documentation (not forgetting the .enh files too of course !!!! and the forum posts !!!
LitusSaxonicum

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John, I'm sure that you would be deliriously happy if you had one of the booklets that used to be printed when things were in the hands of Salford Software, pre Silverfrost: "The Clearwin+ - Fortran Edition".

Worth printing is CWPLUS.ENH (in the Silverfrost/FTN95/DOC folder).

If you are determined to have paper, then here is the documentation section on the Silverfrost website:

http://www.silverfrost.com/23/ftn95/support/documentation.aspx

There you will find the online version of the little booklet and much else of printable interest. Just make sure you have lots of paper and toner!

Eddie
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: