forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index forums.silverfrost.com
Welcome to the Silverfrost forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Upgrade to Windows 10!" Should I?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eric_carwardine

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:39 am    Post subject: "Upgrade to Windows 10!" Should I? Reply with quote

G'day, folks Very Happy

I'm receiving almost-hourly - certainly daily - exhortations form Microsoft to "Upgrade to Windows 10!" Like ... NOW, man! The not-so-subtle implication being that if I don't do it NOW I'm likely to miss out on the free upgrade.

(Microsoft should have commissioned the Pet Shop Boys (if they still exist) to parody "Go West!")

Hmm ... after reading on this forum "src compiler failing win Win 10" I'm having misgivings. Will my Personal Version of FTN95 (Win32, Ver. 5.50.0 still function?

I was forced, when Microsoft stopped supporting their excellent Windows XP, to upgrade to Windows 7 - without any apparent benefit to me as user.

Rather than upgrade, and growing wearisome of what seems like 'planned obsolescence', perhaps I'll 'jump ship' into a Linux-based operating system - although I have no delusions as to the difficulties that would accompany being a 'rat' Sad

Eric, in Thornlie, Western Australia
DanRRight

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eddie wrote here that he had no difficulties with Win10.
eric_carwardine

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

DanRRight wrote:
Eddie wrote here that he had no difficulties with Win10.

Thanks, DanRRight.

Eddie's experience is encouraging.

I recently read that there have been problems. See, for example:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/Compaq-CQ1000-Desktop-PC-series/5146180/model/5155106/document/c04773236/

Eric
John-Silver

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Dan's 'precis' that Eddie had no problems isn't 100% correct Eric, I think it would be fairer to say that he has overcome one or two small anomalies with the updating process which meant one or 2 oddities arose with FTN95, not FTN95 problms as such, although I'm sure eddie will confirm his exact experiences for you.

My personal view - don't touch it with a bargepole unless you like grappling with the idiocyncricites of Micro$oft !!!

After the 'update' icon mysteriously (and maliciously and illegally in my view) downloaded the whole 5-6Gb of update serupticiously without me knowing it (I joke not) I managed, not without some difficulty to disactivate and delete the downloaded files !!!
It can wait for another day, or millenium, as far as I'm concerned.
Imo no one will benefit a jot who has Win 7, except if you have maybe one of these swizzy, swipey, tabletty hurdy-gurdys !

You don't have to update immediately, It's supposed to be available for 1 year after initial launch (not sure if that's lobal launch or local to you) so no rush. It'll probably still be available for free afterwards too, unless M$ have got a shotgum pointed and cocked at their foot ! Smile

Before you make a deision, read a lot and understand all the problems which have arisen for others.
As I said, doesn't appear to affect FTN95 as such, but eh, who knows.
DanRRight

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, i know Microsoft from the DOS 2.1. I'd also wait to update to Win10 till June next year as there are typically a lot of bugs in early versions unless people say that this version is some kind of an exclusion from the rule by being very clean. Tablets and some laptops probably need it though as Win8.1 and earlier are too dumb with touchscreens
eric_carwardine

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

John-Silver wrote:

- don't touch it with a bargepole ...

No compliance problems with that advice; I don't even have a barge Sad

John-Silver wrote:

... I managed, not without some difficulty to disactivate and delete the downloaded files !!!

I'm all ears - or rather eyes! Please tell me how I might do likewise - in a personal message if you think that Microsoft might be lurking, with a Voo Doo doll in one hand and a big pin in the other!

John-Silver wrote:

It can wait for another day, or millenium, as far as I'm concerned.

My update, if it occurs, will not happen before the year 100PA. That's Post Armageddon. I can't risk anything interfering with some work I'm contracted to do for a Western Australian university. Students pay BIG fees nowadays for their tuition and have no hesitation in protesting very aggressively if anything even hints at delaying their graduation.

John-Silver wrote:

Imo no one will benefit a jot who has Win 7, except if you have maybe one of these swizzy, swipey, tabletty hurdy-gurdys !

Tablets are what I get from the pharmacist and I can't find 'swizzy', 'swipey' or 'hurdy-gurdy' on any of the container labels. I know - I've looked Sad

John-Silver wrote:

You don't have to update immediately, ... unless M$ have got a shotgum pointed and cocked at their foot ! Smile

By which time the weapon could well have been discharged at a target much higher on the body. Americans, it seems, have a very uncomplicated way of dealing with sources of frustration. cf Indiana Jones in the Temple of Doom.

John-Silver wrote:

Before you make a deision, read a lot and understand all the problems which have arisen for others.

The world's most desired invention, according to one supposedly-authentic survey was a device that would allow one to read in one's sleep.

John-Silver wrote:

As I said, doesn't appear to affect FTN95 as such, but eh, who knows.

I'll follow the unpublished motto of Australia's Special Air Services, the SAS, which is 'procrastinate', based on the First Law of Jungle Warfare which states that "He who moves first loses."

Profuse thanks, John. Your reply was much appreciated!

Eric, in Thornlie, Western Australia
LitusSaxonicum

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I described my experience in other posts. But here is a recap:

1. Small laptop supplied with W8.1. I considered that it had little to lose, so updated to W10 via WiFi. I found that the experience improved update by update. After the first stage in the upgrade I experienced fleeting problems running FTN95.
2. Similar small laptop running W7 (badly) after a system crash and new hard drive. W10 cured the previous problems, which were therefore software and not hardware, the installation was quicker and less troublesome. Had I done this first, I wouldn't have bought the other laptop!
3. On the experience of 2. I upgraded to W10 on my desktop. This had major problems with W7 and I rebuilt it with new hard drives and a clean install of W7 (all are 64 bit). So W10 was installed over a nearly-new install of W7. Process ran faultlessly, and on a fast PC connected via high speed broadband, was quick and easy. Everything works fine.
One of the advantages I have found wih W10 is that it picks up networked printers automatically. It also picked up my NAS likewise. Office 2013/16 deal with something called One Drive, and W8/8.1/10 all allow you to access it outside the Office apps - these things were the decider for me. The main downside is appearance. A further upside is that it boots faster than W7.
A relative of mine who had 8.1 on her tablet didn't like 10, but her understanding of anything to do with computers and mobile phones could best be described as minimal.
Eddie
wahorger

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done the upgrade on two systems, one desktop system Windows 7 Pro, the other Windows 8.1 Home.

I had a few learning problems getting used to 8.1 when I got the laptop. Windows 10 is more like Windows 7 in how you can interact with it.

I had no problems with compiler or Plato, and the code already compiled ran just like it did before.

All in all, very trouble free. YMMV.
John-Silver

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric, sorry for the delay getting back to you on this.

If you want to get rid of the update nagging and downloading (it it's been/being done) of the Win10 update , You can start first by trying the operations outlined here:-

http://www.howtogeek.com/218856/how-do-you-disable-the-get-windows-10-icon-shown-in-the-notification-tray/

There are several other websites I found with variants on the same theme.

If you have any problems then PM me about it and I'll try to remember (I can't even remember exactly myself, it was just relief at being able to do it and that the auto-update after the sneaky download hadn't activated.

Note the point it makes that Windows may try to re-install the related KB !!! and switch off auto-updates as instructed (and if/when you want to check for other updates on a periodic basis then make sure that one isn't re-installed !)

Good Luck !

John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> Support All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: