forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index forums.silverfrost.com
Welcome to the Silverfrost forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SRC compiler failing win WIN 10
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
steveDoyle

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:29 am    Post subject: SRC compiler failing win WIN 10 Reply with quote

The src complier (v3.7Cool is crashing with the following in win 10. the same resource works without issue in xp/7/8/8.1. can email resource file if required.

Runtime error from program:c:\program files (x86)\silverfrost\ftn95\src.exe
Access Violation
The instruction at address 0042f224 attempted to read from location 6c61661c

0042f1cd RESOURCES::newStringRsc(int,<ptr>char) [+0057]
0042bb40 addStringTableItem(int,int,<ptr>char) [+002d]
0042856b parse_embeded_resource(enumÄresource_type) [+032a]
0042a0ee compile_resource(void) [+0473]
0040172f top_level_parser(enumÄtl_context) [+001e]
00401000 main [+03ae]

eax=00530045 ebx=0ae0513c ecx=002fb9a8
edx=00000001 esi=6c616600 edi=0ae0e750
ebp=0376f964 esp=0376f8a8 IOPL=2
ds=002b es=002b fs=0053
gs=002b cs=0023 ss=002b
flgs=00010246 [NC EP ZR SN DN NV]

0042f224 add eax,[esi+0x1c]
0042f227 push eax
0042f228 call [esi+0x18]

steve
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you reduce the resource script to a minimum that fails and then post the result here?

Alternatively please email the script to ftn95@Silverfrost.com.

Thanks.
LitusSaxonicum

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve,

My resource files seem to compile under Win 10 without issue, but Win 10 is subject to some huge incremental updates, so it is possible that it is something that MS have yet to fix, or your Win 10 machine hasn't upgraded itself to do yet.

As an example, I was playing with some Simpleplot stuff and that gave very weird messages about driver incompatibility, but after a big update: no more. Even Win10 is not immune to its own bugs: On day 1, Cortana told me via text that my computer was incompatible, but on day 2 she was listening and day 3 she was talking!

Eddie
John-Silver

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

win10 is a witch, burn the witch !
No reason for anyone (who's got win7) to update.
They achive near perfection imo and then regress, all in the name of making more money (cos they want to get to a state of only 1 OS.
Variety is the spice of life and MS have jumped in with a 'you can have any OS you want as long as it's 10' philosophy.
.. .and they wonder why productivity can't make advances
John-Silver

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

meanwhile Eddie is nominated for the Nobel Prize for Optimism - delving into Win10 and Simpleplot at the same time !!! Wink

Last edited by John-Silver on Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
LitusSaxonicum

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not optimism, just making sure that things work with all versions of Windows (but I got the joke). I'm currently doing a win7 to 10 upgrade on another laptop, and nothing works well until several updates have happened, this being no exception.

Once 10 has installed properly it runs as well as 8.1, which is as well as 7 in fact - it just looks like a person lacking any artistic talent or ability designed it.

Eddie
steveDoyle

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

Win 7 is still my primary development platform (I keep an XP Box running to keep some 16 bit legacy code alive...). the win 10 box was "upgraded" from 8.1 two weeks ago so should be current with any updates. I was only using it as a compatibility test bed.

In my less than humble opinion, Win 8/8.1 was aimed at people with an IQ of a telly-tubby watcher (aka those across the big pond.). Win 10 has all the atheistic appeal of a soviet Gulag. What really amazes me is the MS actually think that they're doing a good job........
John-Silver

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only delved into win8.1 very recently because I got on for my daughter who's just off to study.
First job after 15 minutes in front of it was to get an 'Old Start Menu' simulation program ... 'vistart' did the trick and all fine and dandy after that.
Fortunately I discovered (just in time) that the damn auto-update program had already downloaded > 5Gb onto my harddrive and had already failed about 5 times to start the update ! Managed (eventually, it's not easy) to disable the update con-ware.
They should be taken to court and the cleaners for auto-installing that crap-ware (the update program). Anyone but MS and they'd be already being judged in court.

The reason for the win10 'look' by the way is simple, it's geared for mobile users , and more importantly FINGER SIZE ! MS want a single OS for all platforms so as to cut their development/support costs in half. business sense but misery for desktop users. Maybe everybody should throw their mobiles and pads away :O) then they'd have no reason to change.
LitusSaxonicum

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't want anybody to think I like Windows 8, 8.1 or 10, but they are usable once you get over a few differences. While being nowhere near as easy on the eye as Win7 which is the ultimate development of lusciousness, the basic old Windows stuff is there and works as well as it always di. As for an OS taking over a few Gb for an update, then perhaps hark back to DOS where once you had MS DOS on a floppy, there wasn't room for anything else. I've got hundreds of Gb free on a netbook, and Tb free on a desktop.

What is disconcerting with Win 10, however, is that it is being developed in real time, and the update downloads are still huge. For some reason that is rather obvious really, MS disables things like Google Chrome while the downloads are taking place, but FTN95 gets under the radar.

8.1 and particularly 10 do start quickly from a power off.
JohnCampbell

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know if there are any advantages of moving from Win7 to Win 10 ?
I noticed that when moving from XP_32 to Win7_64 that the disk buffering was much improved and I have found (as I expect many others) that Win7_64 is a reliable OS.
To me, the most annoying feature of Win 8.1 is the finger tip accuracy limits and dumbing down it applies to most loaded apps. The Office ribbon is replaced with a few annoying screen edges. It is like all the useful functionality has been washed away.

Win 7 is now technically 2 OS old so doesn't it loose some support status, while it must still be the dominant OS in the business/commercial/office environment ?
MS have now produced 2 new dud OS which ignores the business usage ! Isn't this a problem for business productivity growth that technology is to promote ?

I'd like to know if Win 10 provides any benefits for a desktop user ?

John
LitusSaxonicum

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,

The various things that fly in from the screen edges are gone in 10. Sure, the top-right icons are more spaced out. But the Office ribbon is still there, surely, if you enable it (there's a drop-down, close-up, icon at the RH lower corner). [I'm using Office 365/13]. If you ran this version of Office under Win 7 you will not notice any differences, but it is in some ways cut down from Office 2010 for example (e.g. the Thesaurus downloads the first time you use it).

The caption bar - which is also the pick up and move area - is now not distinctly coloured and the whole theme of the GUI is minimalist. But Win 10 starts quickly.

I have a feeling that some of the design elements have to do with better scaling on high DPI settings and well as being touch-optimised.

Eddie
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve

I have logged this for investigation but I do not seem to have a sample resource script to hand.
LitusSaxonicum

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to note that SRC works with my longest RC file: 400 icons, bitmaps (mainly) and cursors, so it maybe that Steve was a victim of being an early adopter of Win 10, or that it hadn't completed sufficient updates to work properly.

I certainly found a compile issue that disappeared within a day or two.

Eddie
steveDoyle

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul

The resource is actually generated by a winteractor utility so i am assuming that the syntax is correct.
I commented out the offending section in the resource file as it didn't seem to be used in my application and it then compiled on win 10

the offending section

//
// Strings
//
STRINGTABLE DISCARDABLE
BEGIN
ID_EXIT "Exit"
ID_PRINT "Print"
ID_DATA_CLIP "Data to clipboard"
ID_LOCATE "Locate"
ID_ZOOM "Zoom Area"
ID_FULL_SIZE "Cancel Zoom"
ID_PAN "Pan"
END
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve

Here is my test. Does it reproduce your error?

Fortran file:
Code:
program main
integer i,winio@
i=winio@("%bt[OK]")
end

Resource script:
Code:
#define ID_EXIT        1
#define ID_PRINT       2
#define ID_DATA_CLIP   3
#define ID_LOCATE      4
#define ID_ZOOM        5
#define ID_FULL_SIZE   6
#define ID_PAN         7

STRINGTABLE DISCARDABLE
BEGIN
ID_EXIT "Exit"
ID_PRINT "Print"
ID_DATA_CLIP "Data to clipboard"
ID_LOCATE "Locate"
ID_ZOOM "Zoom Area"
ID_FULL_SIZE "Cancel Zoom"
ID_PAN "Pan"
END
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> Support All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: