forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index forums.silverfrost.com
Welcome to the Silverfrost forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Creating Executable file from DLL and OBJ files
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mecej4

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

anand3162 wrote:
To give you an example,

I have 1 DriverProgram (this is a program) and 3 subroutines (.for)

Program DriverProgram.for has a call to the following
GetK.for that calls Ex3.for
Dummycall.for that calls Ex3.for

So if I understand correct, I have to create one DLL out of GetK.obj and Ex3.obj as well as a second DLL out of Dummycall.obj and Ex3.obj

I don't know the basis of your understanding. You can create zero, one, two or three DLLs. Note the zero. You are not required to create any DLLs.

Quote:
Next, I can link the program DriverProgram.obj with both the individual DLLs. Correct?

Again, you can but you are not required to do this.
Quote:
Will I be better off trying to create 3 DLLs, 1 each with GetK.for, Ex3.for and Dummycall.for and then linking all three DLLs with the main DriverProgram? I have tried this and failed.

"Better off" in what regard? What did you try, what commands did you use, and why did the attempt fail? Surely, you did not mean to ask if you are better off because you failed?
anand3162

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mecej4,

You are indeed right about 0 Dlls. However, my intent is to share our program with a 3rd party program via a DLL. Unfortunately, I cannot post my code as such, so I have been working up parallel example/drawing board kind of programs that I can post without worrying about IP.

Therefore, my questions were based on having decided I want to share my program with a 3rd party through a DLL. Here is the code that I used, that was successful.

FTN95 D:\Development\GetK.for
FTN95 D:\Development\Ex3.for
FTN95 D:\Development\Ex4.for
FTN95 D:\Development\Dummycall.for
slink /DLL D:\Development\Dummycall.obj D:\Development\Ex4.obj D:\Development\Ex3.obj /export:DUMMYCALL
slink /DLL D:\Development\GetK.obj D:\Development\Ex3.obj D:\Development\Ex4.obj /export:GETK
Ftn95 D:\Development\DriverProgram.for
slink D:\Development\DriverProgram.obj D:\Development\Dummycall.dll D:\Development\GetK.dll

Though my attempt succeeded, just wanted to know if I did get my bearings right?
mecej4

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

anand3162 wrote:
...Here is the code that I used, that was successful.

FTN95 D:\Development\GetK.for
FTN95 D:\Development\Ex3.for
FTN95 D:\Development\Ex4.for
FTN95 D:\Development\Dummycall.for
slink /DLL D:\Development\Dummycall.obj D:\Development\Ex4.obj D:\Development\Ex3.obj /export:DUMMYCALL
slink /DLL D:\Development\GetK.obj D:\Development\Ex3.obj D:\Development\Ex4.obj /export:GETK
Ftn95 D:\Development\DriverProgram.for
slink D:\Development\DriverProgram.obj D:\Development\Dummycall.dll D:\Development\GetK.dll

Though my attempt succeeded, just wanted to know if I did get my bearings right?

You have only given file names, so "here is the code" is a yet-to-be-kept commitment. In the circumstances, the best I can say is "you may have got your bearings right". I certainly have no interest in seeing your proprietary code, and it is up to you to ensure that whatever code examples you present here preserve the issues that are suspected to be obstacles in the big code.
anand3162

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mecej4,

Here is the code. I have not changed much of it from my earlier dabbles.

winapp 300000,600000
Program DriverProgram
implicit none
double precision Temperature, Pressure, Z(10), K(10)
integer I
Temperature = 300.0d+00
Pressure = 1.01d+05
Z(1) = 0.50d+00
Z(2) = 0.25d+00
Z(3) = 0.20d+00
Z(4) = 0.05d+00
Z(5:10) = 0.0d+00
K = 0.0d+00
write (6,*) "Main driver program calling Kvalues"
write (6,*) "................................."
call GetK(Temperature, Pressure, Z, K)
write (6,*) "................................."
write (6,*) "Back to Driver Program"
write (6,*) "Kvalues are as follows"
do I = 1, 10
write (6,*) "Kvalue-",I
write (6,*) " ",K(I)
enddo
call Dummycall(Temperature, Pressure, I)
stop
end

subroutine Dummycall (a, b, c)
implicit none
real * 8 a, b, c
write (6,*) "I am from Dummy_call - Called from MainProgram"
call Ex3(a, b, c)
return
end

subroutine Ex3 (a, b, c)
implicit none
real * 8 a, b, c
write (6,*) "I am from Ex3 - Called from Ex2"
call Ex4(a, b, c)
return
end

subroutine Ex4 (a, b, c)
implicit none
real * 8 a, b, c
write (6,*) "I am from Ex4 - Called from Ex2"
return
end

subroutine GetK(Temperature, Pressure, Z, K)
implicit none
double precision Temperature, Pressure, Z(10), K(10)
integer I
write (6,*) "I am from GetKvalues"
do I = 1, 10
K(I) = Temperature*Pressure*Z(I)*1.d-05
enddo
call Ex3(Temperature, Pressure, I)
write (6,*) "Exiting GetKvalues"
return
end

I do acknowledge that, I can combine ALL the subroutines into 1 .for file and make a DLL of that .for. However, my actual programs are all several thousand lines, so that makes code maintenance troublesome.

My objective here is to make the routine DummyCall and GetK as 2 separate DLLs. For example, make GetK.dll without linking Ex3.obj and GetK.obj using slink. I am trying to recreate a situation where in my actual program, a DLL should be able to call other routines (that are not DLLs). Maybe I am doing something outright wrong.
mecej4

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

anand3162 wrote:

I do acknowledge that, I can combine ALL the subroutines into 1 .for file and make a DLL of that .for. However, my actual programs are all several thousand lines, so that makes code maintenance troublesome.

My objective here is to make the routine DummyCall and GetK as 2 separate DLLs. For example, make GetK.dll without linking Ex3.obj and GetK.obj using slink. I am trying to recreate a situation where in my actual program, a DLL should be able to call other routines (that are not DLLs). Maybe I am doing something outright wrong.
Much of your confusion and doubt is attributable to loose usage of terms, which could be an indication of incomplete understanding of the underlying concepts. For example, take "routines (that are not DLLs)". A routine is never a DLL, just as a scratch is never a cat! DLL stands for Dynamic Link Library, and the term has a well-defined set of attributes. For the purposes of this thread, it is just a library. You can put any previously compiled routines of your choice into a DLL, other than a main program. You may then use these DLLs to build other DLLs or EXEs, just as you would use static libraries, which we could abbreviate as SLLs. Once DLLs and SLLs have been produced, they can be used in similar ways, and they are almost interchangeable.

I have placed a call-graph of your program at https://www.dropbox.com/s/oqawfp8nu6fbihs/cgraph.png?dl=0 . If you and I can agree on the following ground rules, we can infer the ways in which we can structure the DLL preparation: (i) no routine shall be placed in more than one DLL; (ii) only symbols that are required outside the DLL will be exported, and (iii) the number of routines placed in a DLL is decided on the basis of user preferences (as yet unstated!).

Looking at the call graph leads me to place EX3 and EX4 into one DLL, followed by placing GETK and DUMMYCALL into one DLL each. Assuming that each routine has been placed in a separate source file and compiled, here are the linking commands:
Code:

slink /dll Ex3.obj Ex4.obj /export:EX3
slink /dll getk.obj ex3.dll /export:GETK
slink /dll Dummycall.obj ex3.dll /export:DUMMYCALL
slink DriverProgram.obj getk.dll dummycall.dll

I tested the resulting DriverProgram.exe, and it ran fine.
anand3162

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mecej4,

Very thankful for your patience and help. Yes, I agree with the call graph that you have uploaded to dropbox. That drawing really clarified the point you have been trying to beat across for several days to me, finally! Once I saw the drawing and how you linked bottom up starting from Ex3 and working your way up the call graph, it made sense to me. Thanks so much again for helping.
mecej4

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had the call graph been a simple tree (a banyan tree is not simple), some of the issues that your example raised would have been absent. There would have been no multiple paths through the tree, for example, and the question of putting the object code for a routine in more than one DLL would not have arisen.

A call graph can be helpful in other ways. It can guide you when writing a makefile for building a complex project with multiple dependencies.
anand3162

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mecej4,

Totally agree with what you say, and I have been doing call graphs now to make life easier. Thank you for steering me in the right direction.
anand3162

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:25 pm    Post subject: Common memory variables in DLLs Reply with quote

I want to use some common memory variables in my program. I have a common block in my main routine and define a value for the common memory variables in the main routine. This main routine along with its dependencies is converted into a DLL. Is there a way another DLL can access this common memory variable?
mecej4

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is possible, by creating a shared data segment. However, getting this to work correctly in a multithread or multiprocessor program is a bit complicated, particularly if more than one of the DLLs can update the shared data. So unless you absolutely need it, I suggest finding other ways of sharing data.

See https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/topic/290141 , for example.
JohnCampbell

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anand3162,

I have been following this thread. I don't see a good reason for multiple dll's. You said:
Quote:

I don't see why having all .f90 files in the one dll should cause problems with code maintenance. FTN95 uses only 1 .dll and the build procedure for multiple source files is easy to do.
If you want to to build using a single file, then you can write a file that consists of lots of includes, such as:
all.f90
Code:
include 'f1.f90'
include 'f2.f90'
include 'f998.f90'
include 'f999.f90'

Then you can compile all to 1 .obj file as ftn95 all.f90 producing all.obj which can then be converted into all.dll using slink
My preference would be to manage all the .obj files in slink and have a single .dll to supply to your client.

For code support with FTN95, I prefer to use /debug which provides a good traceback when errors occur. I am not sure if that will work with a .dll (is the symbol table included in this way?) or if you wish to provide all this code structure information in a .dll. It is a very useful feature when supporting a run version. I typically use /debug for most code, removing it for only a few compute intensive routines.

John
John-Silver

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

multiple .dlls might be useful where heritage code (say f77) is mixed with newly written code maybe ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: