forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index forums.silverfrost.com
Welcome to the Silverfrost forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

10th Anniversary Celebrations ? .. .and T-Shirt Designs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John-Silver

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:56 am    Post subject: 10th Anniversary Celebrations ? .. .and T-Shirt Designs Reply with quote

While pondering through all the various options on the forums I suddenly realised that the forums passed the 10 year mark in September last year !

So......

Happy, belated, 10th Birthday Silverfrost forums !

I had a quick look through the registered users list and scanning quickly ....

Questions abound like:-
Is no.1 registered user and mega-poster (1 post in total) 'rcjp' still aboard ?
Would love to hear that he is.

then nos. 2 and 3 on the podium:-
Andrew with 232 posts
Martin 43 posts

are you still out there you pioneers you !!!???

For counting purposes Is a post a new topic or does it include all 'comments' on posts too ? Just checked, based on my activity in my short lifetime on here, its all posts including comments.

How many past contributors have sadly passed on to the great Fortran universe in the sky,

*** Of particular note ***, very recently Paul Laidler had his personal 10th anniversary back in February this year.
Happy anniversary Paul ! well done for replying to all those dumb questions for so long with your 3922 posts Wink

Of the rest of names I immediately recognize , Eddie (LitusSaxonicum) you're coming up to your 'big 10' later this year in August !
You only just squeeze into the top 100 in the register list at 96th registered user place with 1232 posts to date ! That's 'only' approx. just over 2 posts per week over the last 10 years !!!!

Top posters ?
Well there's not many surprises there, stand up and take a bow gentlemen for keeping everybody up, running and enthusiastic
I give you the top 20 list , plus a few others selected based on my recognition of their names from recent posts since I've been a member:-

1 PaulLaidler 3922
2 JohnCampbell 1361
3 LitusSaxonicum 1232
4 DanRRight 1045
5 davidb 483
6 jjgermis 404
7 IanLambley 403
8 sparge 371
9 Wilfried Linder 280
10 JohnHorspool 270
11 mecej4 236
12 Andrew 232
13 KennyT 195
14 Robert 190
15 John-Silver 188
16 jalih 179
17 Sebastian 177
18 aebolzan 167
19 brucebowler 153
20 christyleomin 153

22 wahorger 124
23 silicondale 112

26 silverfrost 100

28 EKruck 88

37 johannes 57

49 mike.smartcam 40

A total of 400 'sleeper' members who've never made a single post of any kind, a further 165 who've only made 1.
816 in total who've made 5 or less posts.
It's difficult to assess what the cut-of for 'meaningful contribution' (for want of a better phrase, could be considered to be but taking an arbitrary threshold, only 84 people (out of 1042 members in total ) have made 20 or more posts.

I'll leave it there, but it does seem to me a lot more members could be contributing to the discussions, or maybe they're just not with us anymore having just popped on to solve a particular problem then disappeared to f-ortran pastures new due to chnging job and having to work with other compilers, etc.... who knows....
... or maybe all those people just are completely satisfied with the way FTN95 is working at the level they're using it at, and alls wel l and good and a fine testament to Paul & Co.s work, if that is the case.

I very surprisingly find myself in 15th place on the number of posts made list, although that's more due to my steep learning curve, and my over-optimistic yet ultimately vain hopes of trying to contribute in discussions to get SimplePlot to be more 'useable' last year than anything else.
Not to mention my propensity to prattling on rather than any thing of great substance to say :O). Hopefully my quality and conciseness will progress as time goes by.

Back to the subject of the anniversary then.
Maybe over the coming days and weeks, we could have an informal open-ended discussion about suggestions for T-shirt designs which would be appropriate to celebrate this milestone achievement, eventually with designs anyone eventually may put into personal production :O)
All suggestions for appropriate designs welcome to the discussion :O)
And Here's to the next 10 years >clink

Last edited by John-Silver on Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:14 am; edited 1 time in total
John-Silver

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

.. damn the post limit ! just tripped over the edge right on the penultimate line !!! (seems to be about 5kb of data in the text file of the post, could that be the measure, deleting a couple of blank lines didn't make any difference so its not number of lines related) ...
Here we go again with the finale :O).....
___________________________________-

All suggestions for appropriate designs welcome to the discussion :O)

And Here's to the next 10 years >clink> <clink> .. where will Silverfrost FTN95 be in 2025 I wanda ? :O)

... and just for historical reference when that time comes around and someone, somewhere comes across this post, as of today :-

total of 17596 articles
We have 1042 registered users
as of 12_04_2015-04-12
DanRRight

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i remember there was kind of a pre-forum forum in the end of 90th, much earlier then this one. It had of course different more primitive format. Who is here from this grandpa forum?
JohnCampbell

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The previous forum was email based, as was Lahey. I kept most of my emails for a long time, until I lost assess to that email address.
It was a good system, getting email updates each morning on arriving at work.
Email spamming put a stop to that and so web based forums became the norm.

As a 10 year review, perhaps the post size limit and ability to do attachments could be addressed. Is phpBB still accessible or has it gone the same path as SimplePlot ?

Silverfrost Forum has been much appreciated and a useful sharing of both FTN95 support issues and also Fortran ideas. Thanks especially should go to Paul, whose efforts have supported the forum so well. Paul, I wonder where you thought this forum would be now, when it started 10 years ago ?

John
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to confess that I don't remember much from 10 years back!. Oh dear (now which emoticon should I choose...).
LitusSaxonicum

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alas,

The late John Horspool was a regular and most helpful contributor until he passed away from cancer. A most brilliant man.

Eddie
DanRRight

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, John was great guy. And the less helpful was the author of Simpleplot who appeared ones per two decades and disappeared: "Hey All, you still remember me? If not, the bugs will remind you"
JohnCampbell

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan,

As we Fortran users grow old, it is not always gracefully. It is probably better to be cautions as some past users reduce their activities. There can be many reasons for their decline and I am hoping to avoid most of them.

I would like to recommend that after 10 years we should review the capabilities of the phpBB forum. I find the post size limitation a real annoyance. Is it possible to increase the post size limit or have the Preview function shade what would be omitted.

John
DanRRight

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John, The only activity for Simpleplot guys was 5 min job to email 20 years old source code no one here asked them to spend time to debug if they can not. They found time to help school kids to create graphics program by the way which is 10000x more time consuming.
silverfrost
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rjcp isn't around (Fortran) any more. Martin and Andrew are around although they don't seem to post on the forum.
John-Silver

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a new interestng occurence this evening - I posted here:
http://forums.silverfrost.com/viewtopic.php?p=18012#18012
and NOTHING appeared but a BLANK post.

Just re-tried WITHOUT the [url] and the link posts OK !!!!

Yet another odd behaviour (?) of forum posts to be logged for investigation on its 10th anniversary !
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: