forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index forums.silverfrost.com
Welcome to the Silverfrost forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

help with sleep1@
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John-Silver

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger, I'm guessing but by the way your last post stops dead after the last quote I think the post is truncated (this is a problem with the forum , there's a limít to the size of a post/comment you can make, you have to continue in a seperate post.
John-Silver

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger, a couple of things:-

Quote:
No, but it isn't needed now[/code]

and
Quote:
That isn't the intent

... it's an alternative to the sleep routine which I think is the one you mentioned on the other thread as the 'solution', which I think might be useful when you go the Clearwin+ way for plotting in particular.
It'll also help you understand a little better how CLearwin+ works with callbacks etc..
Pressing the button would invoke a graphics window, after the calcs are finished obviously,with the
The 'Print*' will be replaced by your instructions for plotting.
Doing that in a graphics window you can add horiz and vert sliders to thew window as required to perform the 'scrolling' easily. It's worth understanding how it works and its an easy example which can be the basis for further development.

Quote:
I don't write windows programs anyway, just programs that can run in Windows PCs.

... there's no difference ! once you touch Clearwin+ you're writing windows gui programs !!!

Quote:
that's why I refused to do it for him (my client)

you've lost me again, refused to do what ? I thought you were undertaking to do what he wants to do (once you've determined it can be done obviously.

Quote:
Usually the hard part is finding out what something is called.

that's the easy bit in Ftn95 !

-DOCUMENTATION -
Everyone agrees the document is lacking in some respects, its an oft discussed topic on the forums, the best bet initially is to make yourself aware of what is actually there.

Look at the sections in the Clearwin+ manual(either pdf or on-line version, although the pdf version is probably best to start maybe) which LIST all the commands.

For 'traditional manuals go to 'Documentation (rh pane on ftn95 homepage) then download and look at through these :-

Silverfrost FTN95 User Guide (Including Clearwin+ and Plato documentation) - Download - note this needs a tweak to get it to show correctly once downloaded (you'll find that tweak in the forums )

Silverfrost FTN95 User Guide (Including Clearwin+ and Plato documentation) - Online - This is OK if you're happy jumping around an on-line manual without the ability to dog tag pagw corners or slide post-its in pages you want to find later. It's also the most up to date.

ClearWin+ Fortran Edition <---- I recommend starting by printing this for reading in front of the telly ! Problemo - it's old and not everything is in there. It's not update with new features, but its a good starting reference. If you like it's a subset of the actual total current documentation

Salford FTN77 Users Guide
Salford FTN77 Library Reference

or go to 'Online Manual' in rh pane and the same on-line manual as listed above pops up directly

It really is worth reading through one or the other completely as they guide you slowly into Clearwin+ programming with some easy examples first. I prefer reading the printed pdf version first, but each to his own. The 'reference' sections with the various commands are towards the end :-

- Format Code Reference
Note - there's also an overview in Section 4 'Format Windows' / 'Format Codes grouped by function' where the format commands are grouped by topic rather than just alphabetical

- Library Overview (lists functions/subroutines grouped by what they do)

- Library Reference (alphabetical order)
being the principal ones listing the various commands.

That really is the best place to start imo.

Oh, and there's hidden stuff too, usually related to features and fixes relating to beta releases, a nfew things which aren't in the manuals at all too, but you'll come across that in the forums, don't worry about it to start with :O)
rogerh

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

John-Silver wrote:
Roger, I'm guessing but by the way your last post stops dead after the last quote I think the post is truncated (this is a problem with the forum , there's a limit to the size of a post/comment you can make, you have to continue in a separate post.

Yes, I saw that in a post somewhere.

All that was left was a comment about my inability to actually print all the documentation, much of which is not helpful anyway.

Roger
rogerh

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

john, I wish I could print and save that big reply as there's a lot of good information in it.

I should explain that I'm helping someone develop his program. I refer to him as a client because he's not a friend or acquaintance, he's just someone I'm helping - for free - and am not required to do anything at all. I choose not to do the graphics at this time. There's too much to learn first.

I appreciate your help very much. Many sites just give a RTFM response to beginners.

Roger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> Support All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: