forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index forums.silverfrost.com
Welcome to the Silverfrost forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

error 215 - Invalid expression on left hand side of assignme
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mike.smartcam

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:13 pm    Post subject: error 215 - Invalid expression on left hand side of assignme Reply with quote

Hi group I am getting a compiler error which reads:

"error 215 - Invalid expression on left hand side of assignment"

The error is pointing to the following code:

Code:
DOUBLE PRECISION P_W_(30)

P_W_(I2)=DCOS((P(K,I2,6)+ORIE)*D2R)*P(K,I2,7)

Is the problem the variable name ie the last character is an under score?

Thanks for any help.

Mike
IanLambley

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is I2 defined as integer?
mike.smartcam

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I have checked that all variables have been correctly defined, I2 is defined as follows:

Code:
INTEGER TH,I,J,I2,PCKNUM,ENT_NUM,NUM,H_NUM,ONEH_NUM

Thanks for your comment.

Mike
davidb

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your expression compiles just fine for me using FTN95 version 7.1.

I would suggest there is an issue with the declaration of one of your other variables. Try systematically swapping these variables for fixed constants until you find it compiles; then you will know which variable is at fault.

Alternatively, could you post a complete program, with a few lines which exhibits the error.
JohnCampbell

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on your description of the problem, it looks as if P_W_ is being interpreted as a function in your program. Check all usage of P_W_, as somewhere earlier in your code there will be an array subscript that is type real.
If this is the case, this type of error report can be annoying as the cause of the error is an earlier incorrect use of an array subscript and not where the error is being reported.

John
mike.smartcam

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have listed below part of the routine causing the problem. The include file content can be seen commented out below the include files in the routine.

I have noticed that if I comment out the include file statements and uncomment their content ie declare the variables locally the routine will compile without error.

As listed I get two errors back from the compiler:

1) error 775 - More than one main program encountered
2) error 215 - Invalid expression on left hand side of assignment

Code:
           SUBROUTINE ACT_POC(PITCH,X_P,ORIE,BLANK_RAD,PCKNUM,NUM)

INCLUDE "C:\Zepf2012\DR-AWDE\FTN95_Source\Includes\C_ACT_PO.F95"

!$$$$$$            COMMON /ACTPOC/AP_R,AP_X
!$$$$$$            DOUBLE PRECISION AP_R(0:359),AP_X(0:359)

INCLUDE "C:\Zepf2012\DR-AWDE\FTN95_Source\Includes\C_P_W.F95"

!$$$$$$            COMMON /P_W/P_W_,LEAD_ENT,TRAIL_ENT
!$$$$$$            INTEGER LEAD_ENT,TRAIL_ENT
!$$$$$$            DOUBLE PRECISION P_W_(30)

INTEGER CV1,CV2,CV5,CV6
           DOUBLE PRECISION PI,ORIE,DNUM
           DOUBLE PRECISION BLANK_RAD,P,X,BETA,R1
           DOUBLE PRECISION MAX_LD,MAX_TR
           DOUBLE PRECISION X_P,PITCH,POC_PT,N2R

PI = DACOS(-1D0)
           DNUM = DBLE(NUM)
           N2R = PI/180D0*360D0/DNUM
           H_NUM = NUM/2
           ONEH_NUM = 1.5D0*DNUM

DO J = 0,NUM-1
                AP_R(J) = BLANK_RAD
           END DO

ENT_NUM = LEAD_ENT
     1     FORMAT(' ')
           END

I have tried placing the COMMON statement after the variable declarations but this does not appear to make any difference.

Thanks for any comments.

Mike
mecej4

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your program compiles fine with FTN95 7.1, with the compiler issuing only warning messages. Which compiler version and which compiler options did you use? The more information that you can give about your programming environment, the more likely will it be that someone can suggest a fix.

The FTN95 compiler tells you source code line numbers along with the error message. Report them, or even better, show a transcript of the compilation session.
mike.smartcam

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your comments, below is the compiler transcript:

Compiling file: xx.F95
    C:\Zepf2012\DR-AWDE\FTN95_Source\Includes\xx.F95(1) : warning 767 - The argument PITCH has not been used
    C:\Zepf2012\DR-AWDE\FTN95_Source\Includes\xx.F95(1) : warning 767 - The argument X_P has not been used
    C:\Zepf2012\DR-AWDE\FTN95_Source\Includes\xx.F95(1) : warning 767 - The argument ORIE has not been used
    C:\Zepf2012\DR-AWDE\FTN95_Source\Includes\xx.F95(1) : warning 767 - The argument BLANK_RAD has not been used
    C:\Zepf2012\DR-AWDE\FTN95_Source\Includes\xx.F95(1) : warning 767 - The argument PCKNUM has not been used
    C:\Zepf2012\DR-AWDE\FTN95_Source\Includes\xx.F95(1) : warning 767 - The argument NUM has not been used
    C:\Zepf2012\DR-AWDE\FTN95_Source\Includes\xx.F95(14) : error 775 - More than one main program encountered
    C:\Zepf2012\DR-AWDE\FTN95_Source\Includes\xx.F95(2Cool : error 215 - Invalid expression on left hand side of assignment
    C:\Zepf2012\DR-AWDE\FTN95_Source\Includes\xx.F95(32) : warning 21 - Label 1 is declared, but not used
    Compilation failed.

I have the compiler set to CheckMate Win32 using Plato version 4.64 I am not sure were to look for the FTN95 version?

Mike
mecej4

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I now see some important information -- the line numbers. The compiler seems to see the beginning of a new main program on line 14, which suggests to me that there is something odd about the contents of the included files, especially the second one. Please zip up all the files and place them where public access is possible (places such as Dropbox, etc.), because the error may depend on the exact contents of the files, including invisible characters.

Part of the line flagging an error on line 2x got converted to a smiley; please state the line number (which you can see after "xx.F95(") separately.

You can obtain the version of the compiler by entering the command

ftn95 /v

in the FTN95 command window.
IanLambley

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure you do not have an "END" statement in your include files as this will end the module in which you have defined the arrays and hence the executable part will not have defined variables. It will also cause the multiple main programs error.
Ian
mike.smartcam

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have posted the source files at:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/rx7cam71dnhp7nz/AABPTwDXAkD_kRrQKAXda442a?dl=0

There are three files:

xx.F95 // program calling Include files
C_ACT_PO.F95 // 1st of two include files
C_P_W.F95 // 2nd include file

The F95 compiler version I am using is: 7.10.0

Mike
mecej4

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As IanLambley guessed, you have END statements in the included files, which you must remove. To understand why, imagine that the compiler makes two passes over your code. In the first pass, it merges the lines in the INCLUDEd files into the source with the INCLUDE directives. It then compiles the resulting merged file in the second pass. An misplaced END statement causes the compiler to terminate compilation of the current program unit. The subsequent non-comment line is not a SUBROUTINE, FUNCTION or PROGRAM statement, so it is taken to be the beginning of a main program.

There is a second error. The IMPLICIT NONE must occur before other declaration statements. Since you have IMPLICIT NONE in the second included file, when the compiler sees it the compiler has already seen declarations from the first included file and, therefore, complains that it is out of order.

In summary, remove the END statement from the included files, and switch the order of the two INCLUDE directives.
IanLambley

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One other thing which might help is to remove the path to the directory containing the include files from the include statement. Plato and the FTN95 plug in for Visual Studio both expect the file extension of the include files to be ".ins". Placing them in the same directory as the code will then make the code more transportable without editing the source.

There are of other reasons to leave it the way it is.

Regarding my "guess", it was merely a deduction from the evidence provided. Elementary my dear Watson!
mike.smartcam

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for that I understand the logic.

The file xx.F95 which I posted is a file which itself is used by a main program and accessed by using INCLUDE, if I understand the application logic for the command then the following would hold true?

In developing the routine xx.F95 I would first remove the END statement in any related referenced INCLUDE files

Compile xx.F95 routine with an END statement to avoid a compiler error and take advantage of compiler debug capability

Then and prior to compiling the main program remove the END statement in xx.F95 as this is also an INCLUDE file

You may ask why all the INCLUDE files, the source was originally written for the Watcom compiler and designed to run with DOS. There are a number of main modules forming the project which share the same source files referenced by using the INCLUDE command. At this stage I am just trying to build working modules prior to porting to a Windows application.

Mike
mecej4

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have some misconceptions regarding the structure of Fortran source files. There are no separate rules for what you can have or not have in include-files. After the include-file contents are inserted into the places where they are invoked by INCLUDE statements, the resulting source code must be correct Fortran source, subject to all the requirements and conventions thereof.

Fortran is a language for programs and projects ranging from tiny to huge. It has strong support for separate compilation of program units, which can then be combined (using a linker such as SLINK.EXE), optionally with inclusion of previously compiled subprograms in object libraries.

I suggest that you move away from COMMON blocks, which are the source of many errors in medium and large programs. Use modules instead. Here is your subroutine, modified to use modules instead of common blocks.
Code:
      MODULE C_ACT_PO
         IMPLICIT NONE
         DOUBLE PRECISION AP_R(0:359),AP_X(0:359)
      END MODULE C_ACT_PO

MODULE C_P_W
         IMPLICIT NONE
         INTEGER LEAD_ENT,TRAIL_ENT
         DOUBLE PRECISION P_W_(30)
      END MODULE C_P_W

SUBROUTINE ACT_POC(PITCH,X_P,ORIE,BLANK_RAD,PCKNUM,NUM)
         USE C_ACT_PO
         USE C_P_W
         IMPLICIT NONE
         INTEGER CV1,CV2,CV5,CV6
         DOUBLE PRECISION PI,ORIE,DNUM
         DOUBLE PRECISION BLANK_RAD,P,X,BETA,R1
         DOUBLE PRECISION MAX_LD,MAX_TR
         DOUBLE PRECISION X_P,PITCH,POC_PT,N2R

PI = DACOS(-1D0)
         DNUM = DBLE(NUM)
         N2R = PI/180D0*360D0/DNUM
         H_NUM = NUM/2
         ONEH_NUM = 1.5D0*DNUM

DO J = 0,NUM-1
              AP_R(J) = BLANK_RAD
         END DO

ENT_NUM = LEAD_ENT
         RETURN
      END SUBROUTINE ACT_POC
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> Support All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: