forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index forums.silverfrost.com
Welcome to the Silverfrost forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SimplePlot & HERSHEY Fonts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> ClearWin+
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John-Silver

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:28 pm    Post subject: SimplePlot & HERSHEY Fonts Reply with quote

ref. Simpleplot Documentation - SimplePlot Primer section G.3 p.158

I've tried accessing the 'Hershey' Fonts listed here via the CHSET(i) command but have had no success.

Has anyone succesfully used HERSHEY fonts in SimplePlot ?

John
John-Silver

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

... same goes for symbols on plots, the first 16 seem to be available but 17-90odd appear to be 'missing'.
Strange, in both cases (fonts and symbols) there is no runtime warning message though.
aebolzan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I remember, Hershey fonts were available as a separate file that was located in the Simpleplot folder during the installation of the software (Simpleplot used to be delivered in two floppy 1.44 Mb disks......). It seems that both, the Hershey fonts and the Marker symbols are not included in the library, or at least not those that figured in the manuals. So, one has to discover the number associated with them.....but, here you find a simple program that shows you what kind of fonts you can use with Simpleplot...as far as I know....see that the CHSET numbers are negative!

CHSET(1) can also be used, but it is a software font that looks not very nice...but you can try it as well....

Hope this helps,

Agustin

Code:
program Simpleplot_plots
!requires simpleplot.dll
implicit none
real*4,dimension(70) ::xarr,yarr
integer*4 :: narr,ltype,xscale,yscale
integer*4 :: ctype,i,ans
character(8) :: xlabel="x",ylabel="y"
character(2) :: istr
real*4 :: minx,maxx,miny,maxy

narr=0
do i=1,70
  xarr(i)=2*i
  yarr(i)=i*i
  narr=narr+1
end do
call group(4,3)
DO I=1,12
  ans=-i
  call knumb(i,istr)
call textmg(1.5)
call axsbtk('XC','I')
call axsbtk('YC','O')
call thckmg('L',2.0)
CALL AXLBJS('**', 'Centre')
minx=minval(xarr)
maxx=maxval(xarr)
miny=minval(yarr)
maxy=maxval(yarr)
xscale=1;yscale=1
CALL SCALES(minx,maxx,xscale,miny,maxy,yscale)
call axcrss('YC',minx)
call pen(2)
ltype=0
ctype=3
call chset(ans)
call cvtype(ctype)
CALL BRKNCV(real(xarr,1),real(yarr,1),narr,ltype)
call pen(4)
CALL AXES7(xlabel, ylabel)
call title7("t","c","Character set -"//istr//" ")
end do
call endplt
end program simpleplot_plots
aebolzan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.silverfrost.com/23/ftn95/support/documentation.aspx

look there the file "Using SimplePlot with FTN95". You will find that for using the Hershey fonts you have to be able to "install" Simpleplot so that the Hershey.dat file is installed. That was in the old days.....now you get the library as it is and seemingly some features are lost.....but at least you can read in the documentation that the 12 fonts I showed you with my program are the fonts that are today available for Simpleplot under Windows....

Agustin
John-Silver

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Agustin for your input on this.
I'd already seen table 6.1 in that document where the '-ve' code fonts are listed.
In fact there are actuallyonly 4 fonts (x 3 styles = 12 font-styles Smile ! )
... together with another in fig. G4 p.158 of the 'Primer' document which is -CHSET (51 or 52) and appears to be a 'scalable' font in 2 versions. Even so, 4 'standard' fonts is better than none and look way better than the 'default' font.

I'd still like Hershey fonts though so I can use some Greek letters amongst other things !!!
(ref. also section G3 of the Simpleplot 'Supplement' Doc where the various Hershey character sets are printed - a 'CHSELECT' utility program is mentioned in G.3 of the 'Primer', but I find no trace of that in the install directories either )

- Registry & Data File -
Looking more carefully at the doc you quote, the 'Using Simpleplot with FTN95' doc. ( and searching for 'hershey') I see in fact that there is supposed to be Registry Entries for SimplePlot relating to Hershey fonts (and markers) in particular.
I searched for 'hershey' in my FTN95 install directory (you mention a file hershey.dat) and I don't find anything at all. If that file's not there then it's not surprising I can't get Hershey fonts is it.
Neither do I see any registry entries at all for FTN95 !
If the file is there but under another guise then it would be for nothing I suppose if the registry entries are not there.

Maybe Paul could enlighten us on that? I have no real understanding of the registry as it might apply to making a program work or not in this context.

John
aebolzan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In fact, I have the Hershey.dat file from an old version of Simpleplot, but Simpleplot cannot read it.....seems that having the library is good but not enough: it needs to be "installed" through a setup in order to be fully functional....

Agustin
John-Silver

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does your 'old version' of simpleplot work OK producing Hershey fonts ?
How old is old ?
Can you post that file here please so we can take a look ?

... then I suppose it's over to you Paul Laidler to wow us with Silverfrost technological ability and come up with an installation Wink with the hershey.dat and the documentation previously referred to earlier in the post it shouldn't be too big a task surely ?
aebolzan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could send the file to Paul if he likes, no problem at all...the file is from 1998, so not far from the last version of Simpleplot that I guess was from 2001....it's a .dat file, so no ASCII and consequently it is not possible to post it here......and as I told you, it does not work alone....

My old version of Simpleplot cannot be installed in my Windows because it is from the days where Win95/98 was reigning....in fact the setup.exe was in a diskette that was no more possible to read......

Agustin
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Augustin

There would be no problem about sending the file directly to John.
You can send it to Silverfrost as well if you wish but I don't know if we would want to add this to the FTN95 installer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> ClearWin+ All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: