forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index forums.silverfrost.com
Welcome to the Silverfrost forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GRAPHIC FONT SIZE IS DIFFERENT IN WINDOW 8

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shahram

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:57 pm    Post subject: GRAPHIC FONT SIZE IS DIFFERENT IN WINDOW 8 Reply with quote

I used to define graphic fonts width as the below while R(3) is the resolution of the screen in X axis and where X axis varies between -1, and 1

CWDT(1)=17.76922785/R(3)
CWDT(2)=16.18268850/R(3)
CWDT(3)=16./R(3)
CWDT(4)=16./R(3)

This was good in all windows platform, but it does not work on my new notebook which runs under window 8.

Is it a routine that gives me the character sizes.
LitusSaxonicum

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is quite possible that your new notebook has a high-resolution but physically small screen, as a result of which the default setting in Windows is to use 'large fonts'. This will almost certainly throw out any sizing calculations that you have done. This caught me some years ago. The mechanism which Windows uses to scale fonts relative to the 'large fonts' setting changes with different versions of Windows (XP - Vista - 7) and it may have changed for Windows 8 for all I know, and sometimes Microsoft change the system font, which affects relative character sizes and hence spacings particularly when the 'large fonts' setting is selected.
I wrote some posts on this matter in the past (search for Logical screen dpi) and this may help you. But first, check your notebook's dpi setting.

Eddie
Shahram

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:00 pm    Post subject: Thank You Reply with quote

Sorry for the late response. I have succeeded to find the solution with searching dpi as you suggested and using the GetDC(0) and other related routines to find the size exchange. I have tested the results on windows 8.1 and 8 it works fine. I did also test that on windows 7 and vista on four computers, three of them had windows 7 and one windows vista.Just one of the windows 7 had font problem, i.e. it looks they are in bigger size! All others work well. I intend to put that on windows XP and see the result.I will let you know about that and the routines I used.

Thank you for guiding me on the right direction.
Shahram

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:01 pm    Post subject: Thank You Reply with quote

Sorry for the late response. I have succeeded to find the solution with searching dpi as you suggested and using the GetDC(0) and other related routines to find the size exchange. I have tested the results on windows 8.1 and 8 it works fine. I did also test that on windows 7 and vista on four computers, three of them had windows 7 and one windows vista.Just one of the windows 7 had font problem, i.e. it looks they are in bigger size! All others work well. I intend to put that on windows XP and see the result.I will let you know about that and the routines I used.

Thank you for guiding me on the right direction.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> Support All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: