forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index forums.silverfrost.com
Welcome to the Silverfrost forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fortran f95 personal edition not running

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alsara

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:17 am    Post subject: Fortran f95 personal edition not running Reply with quote

I have been trying to run my Fortran f95 on windows 8 but it is unfortunately not able to work. I checked the forum and it is apparently compatible with Windows 8 unless I read wrongly. I tried with 2 different programs I typed and when I press Start Run, it does not have the program. It only shows press Return to close window. However, when I use do the same thing with a windows 7 computer, it works. As a beginner to Fortran, I have no idea what I am doing wrong.
[/img]
LitusSaxonicum

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Presumably you don't have a very long program. Why don't you post it here so we can take a look. The most probable reason you don't see any output is that your program doesn't generate any!

Here's a Windows program that creates a window with a button in it. Press that to close the window. Now if that works, your installation is fine. This should work in both free format layout and old-style fixed format layout. If it doesn't, you could have a faulty installation, or you haven't mastered how to compile and run. As you are developing through the Plato GUI, did you use Build first before Start Run?

Code:
      WINAPP
      OPTIONS (INTL, DREAL)
      INCLUDE <WINDOWS.INS>
      IA=WINIO@('%ca[Alsara]%bt[OK]')
      END

Don't feel embarrassed - there are still things to learn after decades - and there are several other compilers that I can't get to work on my PC.

Eddie
Alsara

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:45 am    Post subject: Fortran f95 Reply with quote

The program is:

PROGRAM MyFirstProgram
!==============================================================================================
! Program for computing the area of a circle of a given diameter
! Developed by: Alsara
!==============================================================================================
IMPLICIT NONE
DOUBLE PRECISION :: Area, Diameter, PI
INTEGER, PARAMETER :: R = 5, W = 6

PI = DACOS(-1.0D0) ! Evaluates PI using intrinsic function
PRINT *, "Please input value of diameter, in meter"
READ (R, *) Diameter

Area = 0.25D0 * PI * Diameter**2 !Calculate Area

! Output Diameter and Corresponding Area
WRITE (W, *) "Diameter =", Diameter, "meter"
WRITE (W, *) "Area =", Area, " square meter"

PAUSE
STOP "End of MyFirstProgram"
END PROGRAM MyFirstProgram

The program should be correct as I run it with another computer with Fortran and I could compute the values I type in. The strange thing is that my Windows 8 computer did not allow me to type in any values. I tried copying the code you provided but nothing came out. I am not sure if something is wrong with my installation. I remember the prompt saying that my path variable is too long and cannot be modified and I modified it accordingly. However, when I compile, the black window still show "press Return to close window". I am currently using Plato IDE that my school specified to download. I did clicked Build before Start Run. Please advise, thank you.
LitusSaxonicum

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alsara,

On my system it runs just fine:

So my guess is that something is the matter with your installation. The problem you mentioned with PATH could be at the root of this. Can you get to a "COMMAND PROMPT" window? Type the PATH command. Your should get something like this:

PATH=C:\Program Files (x86)\Silverfrost\FTN95 (64 bit)

or

PATH=C:\Program Files\Silverfrost\FTN95 (32 bit)

along with a whole lot of other search paths. If you haven't got something like this, then PLATO can't find the compiler, and your programs can't find various other files that they may need to run.

It now comes to the crunch that the issue is probably something quite simple, but difficult to find unless someone with the knowledge looks at your computer.

Eddie
Alsara

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:27 pm    Post subject: Continue to face the same problem Reply with quote

Hi Eddie,

I tried your suggestion of adjusting my path. But the window of press return to close window continues to appear. I get the black window you have there but without those words. Instead I get Press Return to close window. Any ideas what other factors might be the cause?

Alsara
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are using Plato, edit your file (e.g. add a space somewhere) and then save the file.

Click on the Build button on the toolbar, then click on the Start button.

This will make sure that you are compiling and running the current file.
LitusSaxonicum

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't see in the revision list anything about Windows 8 compatibility (except with .NET, but you aren't using that). There was some work done on Windows 7 compatibility a few releases ago, so if you are using a very old version of FTN95pe, there is a very slight possibility that might be a problem. Running from Plato isn't very helpful in getting your FTN95 version number, but if you look in the About box, the caption gives the Plato version number which for FTN95 6.35 is Plato v4.61. If you are using a very old version, consider downloading a more modern FTN95pe and installing that - but I don't hold out much hope that it is the answer.

Your profile doesn't say where you are, so it isn't much use me offering to take a look - you could be on the other side of the world, or just a few miles away!

Also follow Paul's suggestion.

Eddie
Alsara

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried at least five times again adding a space to it. Sadly, it didn't work. I did, however see that the output says:
Compiling and linking file: Attempt 5.f95
Creating executable : C:\Users\Alsara\Documents\FORTRAN\Attempt 5.EXE
Compilation and linking completed.

It is kind of strange because it says that it has been completed yet it is not working. I wonder if the program is unable to work on my computer. I downloaded the program very recently from the web, version 6.35 from the website so I do not think that I am using an old version. I would appreciate it if you could help me take a look but unfortunately, I am not anywhere near wherever you are currently as I can see from your profile.
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like you have a space in the name of your file.
This might cause things to go wrong.
Alsara

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Paul,

My other file name is MyFirstProgram.f95. However, it won't even have an output. I only get the window Press Return to close window.
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bring up the system menu by holding down the Window key and pressing X.

Select "Command Prompt" from the menu.

Type FTN95 in this window and press ENTER.

What do you get?
Alsara

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried what you suggested. It say "FTN95 is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file." Does this mean I downloaded the program wrongly? If so, what should I do to get it fixed?
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either FTN95 is not installed or the PATH environment variable has not been set.

Open the Windows Explorer and look for

C:\Program Files (x86)\Silverfrost\FTN95

If this folder does not exist then FTN95 has not been installed or has been installed somewhere else.

If it has been installed then open a Command Prompt window and type PATH then press ENTER. You should be able to see the Silverfrost folder on the PATH.
Alsara

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:55 am    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Very Happy I finally got it working. I guess the problem is finally solve. Thank you for all the help.

Alsara
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> Support All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: