forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index forums.silverfrost.com
Welcome to the Silverfrost forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Compiling F77 source in PLATO

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sospel

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:31 pm    Post subject: Compiling F77 source in PLATO Reply with quote

Hello !

Having recently downloaded "Silverfrost FTN95 Personal", I wanted to use one of programs in Fortran77 who are in the directory: "Simdem\for\simdem63.f77"

I then opened it in PLATO and I choose the box: " TOOLS -> options -> use FTN77 instead of FTN95 "

Then I clicked "Compile" ... but I had the message "ERROR : FTN77 must be on the PATH " Sad

So, one of you can say where is my error ?

Thank you in advance Smile

Cordially
Sospel
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think that FTN77 is in the standard download.

You can use FTN95 for Fortran 77 programs. Go back to the options dialog and revert back to FTN95. Then make sure that your files end with .for.
LitusSaxonicum

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul is correct. There are those of us who used FTN77 before it had Fortran 90 or 95 abilities, and an installation of FTN95 does not necessarily wipe it out! The menu does not mean "adhere to old standards within FTN95", it means "use that creaky old software"*.I think you are mistaking the name FTN77 for "Fortran 77".

As the whole of Fortran 77 is permitted within Fortran 95, your code should compile and run with no alterations.

Eddie

*Edit: actually, it wasn't creaky. It was excellent. But it was Fortran 77 and not Fortran 90 or 95. There was, for a short time, an FTN90 too ...
sospel

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:59 pm    Post subject: Compiling F77 source in PLATO Reply with quote

Hello !

@ PaulLaidler :

>> You can use FTN95 for Fortran 77 programs. Go back to the options dialog and revert back to FTN95. Then make sure that your files end with .for

OK! I ignored that the same compiler serves for sources in FT77 and in FT95!
I made the try and it works very well, having put the extension .for (my programs were in .f77).
Thus, thank you for this fast and precise answer Smile

@ LitusSaxonicum :

Thank you also for your comments. But I specify that I have not programmed any more in F77 for 15 or 20 years!

However, I am adding calculations of comets orbits in a big, very big and very sharp program of astronomical ephemerides ( ~ 200 modules and 25000 instructions) , that I wrote in Fortran 77 and that I do not intend to rewrite in Fortran 95 ...

Thus, recently, I looked for an modern and comfortable environment of work which would allow me to program still a little in f77.
So, after some adjustments, my program "turns" from now very well in the PLATO environment : it is exactly what I wished Smile

Cordially
Sospel
LitusSaxonicum

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sospel,

Perhaps we can encourage you to use Clearwin+ to put a Windows GUI on your programs. You will be able to get graphics - including hard copy graphics - through this system extension.

Eddie
sospel

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:29 pm    Post subject: Compiling F77 source in PLATO Reply with quote

@ LitusSaxonicum

>> we can encourage you to use Clearwin+ to put a Windows GUI on your programs.

Well, it is a very good suggestion to draw trajectories of comets, once the calculations were made by their positions in the space !

These complements in my program will doubtless be the last ones whom I shall make in Fortran 77 Wink

Many thanks
Cordially
Sospel
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> Plato All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: