forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index forums.silverfrost.com
Welcome to the Silverfrost forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Good Compiler for Fortran95

View previous topic :: View next topic  
anandbiradar

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:51 am    Post subject: Good Compiler for Fortran95 Reply with quote

Hi guys

I am happy that silverfrost provided free compiler.
But as I am new to Fortran95, i don't know if Plato is the best free compiler. Because I am not sure if its debugger is so effective.

Can you guys tell me if this the best free compiler for Fortran95, Windows 7 OS, or are there other better than Plato ? I am ready to move on to Linux if required. As i heard Intel provides free compilers for Linux based OS (but couldn't find it)

Please let me, As I am having difficult time while debugging.

Thanks
LitusSaxonicum

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First and foremost, PLATO isn't the compiler, it is the 'development environment'. You can use FTN95 from the command line, and also within the .NET system.

There isn't a better compiler for development than FTN95, as the error messages are very comprehensive. Some compilers produce code that runs quicker when you have a fully-developed and debugged program.

If you can't master FTN95 debugging, you won't master any other debugging system, as none of them are simpler, and most are worse.
Some compilers have hopeless debugging systems. FTN95 is the best (probably).

The Intel compiler is allegedly free for use in Linux. You won't find it easier to use than FTN95. It's fine if you have a computer with Linux installed. In Windows, the Intel compiler is very expensive.

FTN95 makes it easier to develop Windows interfaces through Clearwin+. There is no equivalent elsewhere.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> Plato All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: