forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index forums.silverfrost.com
Welcome to the Silverfrost forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ftn77 download

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AshrafYossri

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:02 pm    Post subject: ftn77 download Reply with quote

For years I have been teaching basics of CFD to undergaduate engineering students using ftn77 (under DOS) basically because of its well developed grahics capabilities. Lately we upgraded our pc's and we could no longer use ftn77 under DOS. I tried to download and use ftn95 compilers but the graphics in both editions did not function as ftn77 routines used to. Is it possible to remedy this situation without having to rewrite the graphics programmes?
LitusSaxonicum

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ashraf,

The demise of 'DOS only' has been inevitable for a very long time. I put off the change for a long time - but not as long as you have.

FTN95 contains the whole of FTN77, and you don't need to use any of the facilities of Fortran 90 or Fortran 95 if you don't want to.

You will probably find it easier to use Clearwin+. If you want to make your applications full-features Windows apps, you are looking to spend some years doing the development. You might find it easiest to create a windows with the super_maximise setting, which gives you the whole screen as a possible graphics area, but you will need to use an accelerator key to leave graphics mode.

Are you anywhere near London to come for a chat and some help?

Eddie
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A large part (but not all) of the DBOS graphics routines were ported to Win32. If you search for DBOS in ftn95.chm then you will find some information about this. ftn95.chm is part of the free FTN95 download and the relevant information may be included in the online version of the help file that can be found on the Silverfrost website.

Background information...
When FTN77 was first released for 32 bit machines, the Windows operating system was only 16 bit so FTN77 was released with its own "DOS extender" called DBOS to provide 32 bit processing. This system had its own graphics library. With the advent of 32 bit Windows operating systems (Windows NT), this library was ported and included in salflibc,dll. At the same time FTN77 was also ported to NT. ClearWin was added to the library in order to provide access to the Windows API so that users could provide a GUI for their applications. This was soon extended to ClearWin+ with the addition of the winio@ function.
LitusSaxonicum

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul,

It's a bit harder than you wrote. For a start you have to set up the graphics area with Clearwin+. When I tried the route of direct replacement of DBOS graphics calls, I had some success, but progress was a lot slower than I expected until I gave up on %dw and moved over to %gr and recoded my graphics. (I got on even better when I decided to go the whole way and make up a full windows application). I can't remember exactly, but there are some issues with coordinate systems and coordinate ranges.

Eddie
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going back to the original post, I assumed that DBOS was being used but on reflection that may not have been the case. It would imply that a 16 bit operating system was also being used which seems unlikely.

Regarding porting DBOS graphics, I understand that this is normally not easy but for some simple applications it is possible to do this without calling on winio@ or even using an old ClearWin window. This is equivalent to creating "Windows" output by using only WINAPP with a Fortran PRINT statement.
LitusSaxonicum

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are several possibilities:

1. DBOS was used, with DOS graphics
2. DBOS was used under Win16
3. DBOS wasn't used, but Win32 was used with the appropriate FTN77

In the case of 3 certainly, it would continue to work with FTN95 with no changes, and my guess is that so would it with 2. Therefore I have had to assume that it was 1.

To have persevered with DOS graphics for so long is remarkable. I made the change not only because computers were being replaced, but also because students were scornful of DOS, and wanted Windows. (A few wanted Mac, but mostly they were rich idiots).

Eddie
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> Support All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: