forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index forums.silverfrost.com
Welcome to the Silverfrost forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

loss of views using Plato Ver 4.51
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is very odd. The project ini file does not contain any data that would affect the appearance of the screen. Also John's problem is not related to any ini or registry data.
JohnCampbell

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul,

I open Plate Ver 4.51 (on my desktop pc) in part of the screen (restore down) and open 2 files.
If I then go to the windows start bar, the pop-up display of the available plato screens show up as blank.
Moving the mouse between the pop-up options modifies the menu area of the Plato window.
Selecting a the pop-up option repaints the plato window, but the menu area is being painted multiple times, finally with part removed.
The window caption is changing, with the active file name not always displayed.
I have also opened excel with 2 files and explorer with 2 tabs. These do not display these problems.
Plato also paints differently, depending if Plato or (say) Excel is the active window, while scanning the possible windows on the windows start bar.

I can not see what is the cause of this problem, as it does not occur with other packages.

During this process the original .ini file is not being updated:
C:\Users\myname\AppData\Roaming\SilverFrost\FTN95\plato.ini
Code:
[Settings]
BuildBarWasVisible=1
ConfigComboSel=1
[Output]
Span=136
[OpenFiles]
Index=0
0="C:\TEMP\test_time_in_nanoseconds.for",0,0,1,-1,-1,-1,-1,2,20,2,20
M=0,1,-32000,-32000,-1,-1,139,111,1579,1034

Plato Version 4.62 (ftn95 ver 6.35) behaves in a different way (on my notebook pc). When Plato is the active window, selecting different windows from the start bar works ok (unlike 4.51), however if Plato is minimised, then previewing the screens on the start bar looks ok, but selecting provides a screen coloured with the tab colour.
Both versions exhibit problems when selecting different windows from the start bar. Ver 4.61 performs similarly.
I shall replace Ver 4.51 with Ver 4.62 on my desktop, as it appears to be easier to manage.

I shall download FTN95 Ver 7 and see if there is any change.

Also,
As for other changes to Plato,
1) could the options for providing a comment line of the last update date stamp be provided. The following are examples from two different IDE's I have found.
! Last change: JDC 1 Aug 2004 3:08 pm
!Last edited by arctica on Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

2) Could the date/time be included in the header or footer when printing, bottom left would work well or even spaced after the page number.
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the moment I can only note your requests.
JohnCampbell

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul,

I am wondering if the problems I am having with Plato relate to a missing font ?

I am now using Plato Ver 4.61 on both pc's that I am using.
If I select Find in Files..., there is incorrect overwrite of the selected blue text in the "Find Result 1" on only one pc, but the other works ok.

Could this be related to the font being selected is not available on this (notebook) pc ?
On this pc that fails, I typically have the second screen on the left, although this still occurs when only 1 screen is in use (no second screen conected).

The pc which works only uses 1 screen, although this one does have the menu problem, which could also be a font issue ?

John
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John

The default font (for text not menus etc.) will be a mono-spaced font (probably Courier New). When you change this font using the Options dialog (found on the Tools menu) then the drop-down combo should only display available fonts. You can use this Options dialog to find out what the current font is (the one for code may be different from the one for results etc) and also what fonts are available.

There are very few standard mono-spaced fonts but I think that Courier New may well be available on all standard Windows installations.

Note that the fonts for "Output" is changed by right clicking on the Output window and selecting Font and Colours from the popup menu.
simon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps one more clue to what might be going wrong with the view in Plato. The blank screen occurs whether the Plato is maximised or not, but if it is not maximised when the blank screen occurs, maximizing it seems to restore everything to normal. However, if Plato is initially maximised when the blank screen occurs then although you can get to view the code by Ctrl-F6 (if more than one window is opened) or Ctrl-S, the window of code is always too small, and you have to quit Plato to restore it to its proper size.
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon

I think that the problem you are experiencing may be different to John's. His only occurs when using two screens.

Are you using the latest Plato?
When does the problem occur?
simon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Paul,

I get the view problem (blank screen that restores after Ctrl+F6, missing menu items that appear after Alt, reduced window size because of a very thick band immediately beneath the menu icons) only if I am editing a project. Plato works fine if I am editing individual files. I am using 4.63 on Windows 7, but have had this problem for a long time (previous versions of Plato, and possibly on Windows XP, but I can't remember for certain). The problem occurs when I minimize Plato and then try to restore it. As mentioned in a previous note, the problem does not occur if the project's .ini file is deleted.
JohnCampbell

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul,

I am also getting these menu problems that Simon reports, on a single screen mode, with Ver 4.51 and now Ver 4.62.
There appears to be some interaction with the Windows 7 start bar viewer.

I looked at the blue highlight problem with the find in files option, by changing the font and the highlight colour. Changing the font had no affect on the problem, but changing the colour to white did make it more readable.
It does not appear to be a font problem, as changing the fonts does appear to show the expected font.
This only occurs on my notebook but not the desktop, so I'm not sure what is causing this offset.

John
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Simon and John.

Maybe we can now make some progress on this.

I still can not reproduce the problem but there is a chance that you will be able to locate the fault for me.

If the problem is removed by deleting the project ini file then you could selectively delete lines from it to locate the offending line.

If you have the time and patience, open the project ini file in (say) Notepad.
The most likely candidate is the [OpenFiles] section. This gives the names and positions of files that are open. Delete these lines (and the whole section if you wish), save the changes but leave Notepad open. Test the effect of any changes to see if it "fixes" the problem. Work interactively between Notepad and Plato until the problem line is located.
simon

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good plan Paul.

The problem disappears if I delete all the entries under OpenFiles. It also disappears if I delete all but one. So the problem is only occurring if there are two or more files open in Plato.

If I delete the line Index=n Plato now successfully restores with code visible, but the menu bar does not restore properly, and the large space between the menu bar and the tabs with the file names occurs.

I tried changing some of the numbers after the file names under OpenFiles, but it did not seem to do much apart from change the line at which the file is opened. I could do some more thorough testing if I knew what the numbers meant.

There was a section on Switches, including a PguginID, but deleting that did not help.

Simon
JohnCampbell

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul,

When I use Plato, I only open files. I do not create a project, so I don't think I have a project.ini file. I do have errorlog and buildlog files.

More on file search blue highlight: If I highlight lines of text in the "Find Results 1" window, there is a problem with the expected text length being highlighted.
Yesterday, the file name was displayed as a compressed font, while today the file name font is displayed normally, but the highlighted line length is shortened by about 1".

Old problem still persist:
1) Minimising, then maximising can produce a 1" gap belween the menu and the file name tabs. ( The preview screens looks correct, (both the small one and the full screen preview) but when selected the 1" gap returns. )
2) When minimised and selecting window from the start bar, this can have the code text window coloured the same as the file name tab.

I think the black screen was associated with Ver 4.52 as I can't recall having that problem since I updated fromVer 4.52.

John
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some progress here.

Both ini files (for Plato and for a project) have [OpenFiles] sections that specify which files were left open at the end of the last session. The current line and window position are also saved.

Here is the Plato code

Code:
   nRead = _stscanf(++p,TEXT("%d,%u,%u,%d,%d,%d,%d,%d,%d,%d,%d"),
     &line,  &wp.flags,          &wp.showCmd,
     &wp.ptMinPosition.x,        &wp.ptMinPosition.y,
     &wp.ptMaxPosition.x,        &wp.ptMaxPosition.y,
     &wp.rcNormalPosition.left,  &wp.rcNormalPosition.top,
     &wp.rcNormalPosition.right, &wp.rcNormalPosition.bottom);

'line' is the current editing line and wp is a structure used with Microsoft API functions SetWindowPlacement and GetWindowPlacement.

wp.flags determines if the window is 'zoomed' and this is false for a normal tabbed view.

In my test the input data is

Code:
"0,0,1,-1,-1,-1,-1,2,20,1167,692"

So the x and y values are all -1 and the 'top' value is 20.

It looks like SetWindowPlacement is not working for tabbed windows.
Maybe the call to SetWindowPlacement should be omitted for tabbed windows.
LitusSaxonicum

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"It was 50 years ago today, Sgt Pepper taught the band to play"

It was more than 20 years ago that the editor on the VAX I was using numbered the backups as XXX.bak.1 ... XX.bak.n Nowadays, as the 8.3 model for filenames has been abandoned, we could have something similar, perhaps XXX.bak1 ... XXX.bakn even if you can't recreate the VAX method.

Prepending something like ~ is not necessarily helpful, as it transpires that this character is not found in the default keyboard labels of most European keyboards, and is therefore difficult to search for and sometimes deal with.

Eddie
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If my memory serves me correctly, the prepended ~ is only used when Plato crashes. It provides attempted automatic recovery of unsaved changes.
This approach is also used by Word for Windows etc. which is presumably where I got the idea from.

There is also a formal backup system that is activated when you select "Number of backup files to keep" from Options->Text Editor->General.

I am wondering if this item is on the wrong thread.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> Plato All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: