forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index forums.silverfrost.com
Welcome to the Silverfrost forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

loss of views using Plato Ver 4.51
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JohnCampbell

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:09 am    Post subject: loss of views using Plato Ver 4.51 Reply with quote

Paul,

I have been using Plato Ver 4.51 on Windows 7 Enterprise, Service Pack 1.
The window is sized (not maximised) and I have 4 (multiple) .f95 files open, but no project defined. (screen resolution is 1920x1200)
If I minimise the Plato window, then move the mouse to the Taskbar, over the Plato icon, then the 4 mini-view screens pop up, but are clear.
If I select one of these, then Plato comes up, but the code section of the window is shaded the colour tone of a file tab, while the menu options are not shown and also the tabs are not shown.
If I move the mouse over the menu, then the menu becomes repainted.
If I go back to the taskbar and select another file window, then the file tabs become visable, then selecting another tab, the file text becomes visable.
Alternatively, I can open another file, which activates the file tabs.
This has been happening for about a week, although I might not have been minimising Plato before that.

Are you aware of this behaviour ?
( I could email a screen shot, if that helps)

However, if I open Plato ver 4.4.0 on my notebook, then when hovering over the taskbar, only one file window is displayed, as apposed to the 4 windows for Ver 4.51.
This multiple window pop-up from the task-bar is like when there are multiple tabs open in Internet Explorer or multiple files open using notebook.

John
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am aware of this behaviour and aim to provide a fix for the next release.
JohnCampbell

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul,

Thanks. I'll look forward to the update. This problem is becoming more noticeable lately. Not sure if it is because I have Ver 4.4.0 on my notebook and had been doing more deveopment on it. Learning how to deal with it in the short term, so a manageable feature.

I have been using Plato more recently. Becoming a convert !
I am finding the integration between the edit screen and the compiler error output very useful.
I am still persisting with an external make.bat file, which starts by deleting all .mod and .obj files, so no projects.

I would look forward to some audit feature, being able to review changes between different versions of the code. Initially the compare does not need to be too smart, as stepping through only minor changes gives a good review for a day's work.

Some management options of old versions would help, say:
- keep previous version (update each Compile) or
- keep previous version before opening the file in Plato session, ie don't update backup each time you select Compile (Ctl F7) or
- keep previous day's version ( only update if new day in local time zone)
I prefer only one backup. I remember (1981) an old ICL machine which kept all old versions, ended up with 150 copies of a code which wasn't a lot of help.

Version auditing is a significant part of my software development process. I have tools to compare directories and then list all differences in the changed files. My way of minimising regressions !

Thanks again for all your help.

John
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John

I have noted your request but realistically I don't think that I can provide this kind of functionality in the short term because of the pressures of other work.
davidb

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

JohnCampbell wrote:

I have been using Plato more recently. Becoming a convert !

OMG Smile

Have you tried using TortoiseSVN (its free) for version control of your source files?
jalih

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

JohnCampbell wrote:

Version auditing is a significant part of my software development process. I have tools to compare directories and then list all differences in the changed files. My way of minimising regressions !

I currently use Reliable Software's Code Co-op and Scooter Software's Beyond Compare for my version-control needs.

I still prefer using ISPF-style editor for editing source files. I use IDE only for compiling and building projects.
JohnCampbell

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul,

As a minimal change, could changing the file name extension to .bak for the original file (the first time it is updated in a Plato session, or while open ?), deleting an earlier version of the .bak file, if it exists.
It would be good that the backup is not changed each time I select Ctrl+F7.
I have used another IDE, which treated old .bak files as disposable and not suffered any problems. They are easy to sort in Windows Explorer and delete when no longer needed.
This could be a tick box in Tools > Options

John
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John

As you will probably be aware, with the option "Automatically save backup files", filename.f95 is backed up as ~filename.f95 until the end of the session when the backup is deleted.

Instead of deleting the file I can get Plato to save the backup as filename.f95.bak. This can be added as an option. Is this what you have in mind?
JohnCampbell

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul,

My understanding is that:
filename.f95 is the last version to be saved, while
~filename.f95 is a backed up version of the new changed file that is being edited/changed.
Once a compile (or save) is selected, filename.f95 is updated and ~filename.f95 is deleted.
It is at this "first" update, that the backup needs to be made.

What I want is that the version of the file, prior to any changes should be stored, so that for the first time that filename.f95 is updated, the origional file filename.f95 is changed to filename.f95.bak. Once this has been done, then it is not done again, during the edit session.

I see some ambiguity in defining an "edit session", as this could be based on either:
- when PLATO was started or (my preference)
- when the file was opened.
If you close a file in PLATO then open it again, should the backup restart ? Manageing this would require keeping track of file date/time (in local time) or track of files that have been opened.

My suggestion is looking less minimal with every post !

By the way, is there any work-around for the loss of screen status ? Is it linked to the colour of the tabs ?

John
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I realised this shortly after my last reply.
I will aim to do something like this and see how people respond.

If by "loss of screen status" you mean the original problem in this thread then I don't know of a work-around.

I have fixed the problem and hopefully it won't be too long before the next release.
JohnCampbell

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul,

I have now tested Plato Ver 4.61 for the loss of screen display problem. This new version which is with FTN95 Ver 6.35 > 6.36 still appears to have the loss of screen info problem.

If I open two .f95 files in plato,
then minimise plato
then hover over the plato icon and select one of the files from the task bar pop up display, the screen can come up as one colour and the code is not displayed.
If I go to the bottom task bar, hover and select the other file, then it displays ok. Now the file tabs above the files display are available and I can switch between files in Plato, with all file text displayed.

John
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is OK for me both for Windows 7 and Windows 8.
JohnCampbell

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul,

I am using Windows 7 Enterprise Service Pack 1.
I previously had FTN95 Ver 6.10 / Plato Ver 4.4.0
I have now installed FTN95 Ver 6.35 then the 6.36 patch for export_image@.

If I:
start plato from the link on my desktop
open one file
open a second file
minimise plato
hover over the task bar and select a file (one on the left)
{ while hovering on the task bar, plato pops up two file images with the text being displayed in both images. If I hover over a file image. The full plato screen is displayed with text. However when I click the pop-up image of the file, Plato now comes up with the screen all yellow and no file tabs. }
If I now go to the task bar and hover again, the file selected is yellow in the pop-up, but the other file is displayed as text. Now the full size preview has yellow for the file previously select or text for the other file.
Selecting the other file and Plato display is now ok with text and the 2 file tabs. { when hovering over the file icons, the full size preview shows either yellow and no file tabs or the text file but only 1 file tab. selecting this other file brings up the file text and then 2 file tabs are displayed }

If I use Plato 4.4.0 with 2 files open, hovering on the task bar only shows one pop-up file.

This behaviour is reproduceable.
I have not deleted the plato.ini file; not sure where they all are. I will do that and see what happens.

John
JohnCampbell

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the following .ini files:
c:\Users\jcampbell\AppData\Roaming\SilverFrost\FTN95/Plato.ini 16-Apr-13 7:30
c:\Program Files (x86)\Silverfrost\FTN95/plato3.ini 15-Apr-13 21:24
(times are UTC +10hr)

Also, resize on the Plato window fixes the display.

The problem is still occurring, but is temporary.

John
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plato is independent of all other Silverfrost software and the behaviour described will not be affected by Plato ini or Plato registry data.

I understand what you are describing because this was a bug that required a substantial amount of coding for me to "fix". For the moment I can no longer reproduce the bug on my Windows 7 & 8 64 bit operating systems. I also have Service Pack 1. If you are also using a 64 bit OS then I am stuck for the moment.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> Plato All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: