forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index forums.silverfrost.com
Welcome to the Silverfrost forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Static libraries

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaveC

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 12:41 am    Post subject: Static libraries Reply with quote

In the Microsoft-supported .NET languages, e.g. VC#, it is impossible to link a .NET program with a static-linked library (as far as I know). This is a big problem, because since I have many legacy object libraries that are not designed to linked as shared, and moreover, most of them originate from the Lunix world, and are tricky to rebuild on a Windows platform anyway (they come with makefiles or Imakefiles that are useless in the Win32 world).

Actually I have two questions:

1) Does anyone know of a way to link a static library into a .NET program (I'm not optimistic, but I might as well ask), and

2) Can I use FTN95 to link with a library produced by Compaq's older version of Visual Fortran (Visual Studio 6)?

Thanks...

Dave
silverfrost
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 4:53 pm    Post subject: Static libraries Reply with quote

It really depends what you mean by the first question. If you mean can you take a whole load of source files, compile them and then link them into a big .exe then yes, thelinker (dbk_link) does that. Static libraries are usually concatenations of many .obj files in which can this can be simulated with link scripts.

I assume you mean in the second question: can I link Compaq Visual Fortran for Win32 with FTN95.NET. The answer is no! If you can make the static library into a (Win32) DLL then it may be possible.

------------
Administrator
Silverfrost Forums
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> Support All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: