forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index forums.silverfrost.com
Welcome to the Silverfrost forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tab

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DanRRight

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:02 am    Post subject: Tab Reply with quote

Did not use Plato but decided to try today. Just out of the box it looks very strange. What this coloring of each and every letter in specific column means? And why the Tab incorrectly works? It's not latest version though so hopefully it's fixed
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/585/plato.jpg/

Last edited by DanRRight on Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:48 am; edited 1 time in total
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This looks like fixed Fortran. Also the default tab size appears to be set incorrectly. I don't think that this is a Plato problem.

The tab sizes can be set in the Options dialog under Text Editor then Language Settings.
DanRRight

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the default tab size for plain text files is set as 4 ?
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A quick check indicates that you are right but I will have to check the Plato code to see what was intended.

However, this is just the setting for Plato. The Fortran compiler translates a tab to 8 spaces.

I find it better to use the Plato option to translate tabs to spaces then there is no confusion. This only works as you type but there is a macro to translate all existing tabs to spaces. You will find this in the Options dialog under Environment and then Keyboard then Edit.ReplaceTabs.
DanRRight

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would be probably nice if Plato asked about the tab length first time it is open. Otherwise it should inform about default tab. I'd still prefer default 8 spaces. Coloring 6th column in free form files probably has no sense or at least should be asked by Plato too.
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plato assumes that .for;.f;.ins files are fixed Fortran and colours the 6th column.

It also assume that .f95;.f90;.inc;.i90 are free Fortran with a different colouring algorithm.

These settings can be changed in the Options dialog box.

See Text Editor -> Language settings -> File Filter
DanRRight

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, i still use for all Fortran files FOR extension...Some other people do the same with F...May be it is possible for Plato to distinguish free/fixed automatically at least as a trial option? It is not impossible for the company which parses and diagnoses Fortran sources better then anyone else in the world Smile
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did not think of that when writing Plato. I simply followed what the compiler does by default (i.e. when /free is not used on the command line).

Your suggestion raises some interesting questions.
1) What is the easiest/safest way to tell the difference?
2) What modifications would be needed to Plato in order to apply /free or /fixed when issuing a compilation command?
DanRRight

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here i can not advise you Paul, all my solutions will be amateurish.

But one solution i'd try to pursue if i had compiler programming experience. One of ways to find if the source is free or fixed format is to use FTN95 superfast compilation speeds and to do background pre-compile of part of the source as fixed source and then as free one and gather what kind of compiler complaints will be in both cases.

By the way is it possible to have both free and fixed sources in the same file telling the compiler what's to do with the OPTIONS ('free') or OPTIONS ('fixed') statements also inside the file? If yes - that will be kind of additional complication but generally, solvable too
brucebowler

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look for line continuation characters

Look for comment characters

look for alpha characters in cols 1-5

any or all of those should be fairly quick to scan for and reasonable accurate
DanRRight

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, decently i did not use Plato so far though it now looks very cool and appealing.

But when today decided to use it(because one program billions of small recompilations finally took on my nerves) and changed Tab to 8 i found that despite change of Tab Plato still coloring wrong column with fixed form files...Is this due to my Win7 incompatibility issue because i can not believe users and developers still do not see this ?

I'd also suggest Line# and Coloumn# cursor current is notification to move to the left corner, because there is where the text is mostly concentrated

Good would be to see the progress of compilation with some kind of moving bar...

First compilation was OK...First run was OK...Then something happened.

Seems it froze on compilation without any info what is going on.... Trying to run - it says that executable is out of date and asks me to rebuild it...I answer Yes and nothing happen. Notification line says it is compiling and linking file ... 5 min instead of 0.5 sec? ...Click on this and that, restart Plato, again restart...deleted exe file manually and tried to compile ...nothing...Feel like i am a total novice...nothing works. Probaby need the computer restart but i have 10000 other windows still open....

Well, well, well...returning to command prompt again. Does anyone use Plato?
Wilfried Linder

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a very long time using SIDE I changed to Plato about two years ago, with good success. In bigger projects I use it only for compiling and then do the linking with simply batch scripts.

There is a progress bar - but mostly, compilation speed is so high that it doesn't appear to your eyes.

The only bug I reported two years ago: If you have a fixed format .for file and you hit the return key to continue in column 6 with "*" as continuation mark, then Plato goes immediately to column 7. But may be this bug is already removed.

Regards - Wilfried
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> Plato All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: