forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index forums.silverfrost.com
Welcome to the Silverfrost forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

R6034
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LitusSaxonicum

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:11 pm    Post subject: R6034 Reply with quote

Win 7 (64 bit) gives me the following on a popup window when I try to compile:

(caption) Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library

Runtime error!

program: C:\Program files (x86)\Silverfrost\FTN95\FTN95.EXE

R6034
An application has made an attempt to load the C runtime library incorrectly.
Please contact the application's support team for more information.

[OK]

Close the popup window, and FTN95 gets on with the job. Running 6.10, and not only didn't I ask for .NET functionality when installing - all options were greyed out.

Any ideas?

Eddie
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you running FTN95 from Plato or Visual Studio? This looks to me more like a problem with the IDE rather that the compiler.

Try reinstalling the IDE. If this does not correct the problem, is there a differenct version of the IDE available that you can try?
LitusSaxonicum

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Paul,

I'm running from a batch file, or by typing the command:

FTN95 -c SSS.FOR

or

FTN95 /C SSS.FOR (tried both, and it doesn't help putting /C at the end instead of the middle)

from a "DOS box". I can't get the hang of Visual Studio, and (no offense meant) I prefer a different editor to Plato.

It's not a real problem, as FTN95 runs anyway, but I would like to know if there was anything I can do to stop it. The computer is a brand new (out of the box Friday!) laptop, so there shouldn't be much dross loading first - there can't be, as it boots into Win 7 in under a minute.

SRC and SLINK are unaffected.

My preferred editor is PFE32, and thinking that its DOS box might be at fault, I tried running the batch file by clicking on it - with the same result. I'll have a go from PLATO, and see if that sidesteps the problem.

Eddie
LitusSaxonicum

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried compiling through PLATO, and it does not give the error. I suppose there's a lesson in that for me - Old Dog -> learn new tricks. Still confused though, as I can't see that PLATO does much more than invoke FTN95.EXE.

PLATO does some things that appear to be difficult through Clearwin ... repositionable toolbars, mouseover sensitivity, icons in menus. If I'm to use PLATO in future, it will give me a bad case of "toolbar envy"!

Eddie
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plato effectively runs a DOS box in the background (via CreateProcess). This is essentially the same as opening a DOS box manually but there may be subtle differences.

You might like to check that you have only one salflibc.dll and that the same one is being accessed with the two approaches. The Silverfrost C library is built into this dll except for simple functions that are created inline (the FTN95 compiler is written in C/C++ and accesses the Silverfrost and not the Microsoft C runtime library).
LitusSaxonicum

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul,

Yes, you were right: a different version of Salflibc.dll lurking in the subdirectory with the source code.

... which reminds me, why it is there. I've been using 4.90 for years. Anything I've tried later (starting with 5.20) breaks one of my programs. It's a simple thing really:

Code:
       I=WINIO@('%fn[Arial]%ts%`ap%`bg%tc[black]%22`rs%sf&',
     &          0.9D0, 70.0D0, 1.65D0, RGB@(238,238,243), SSTOT)

SSTOT is a character string. What appears on the screen now for the %22`rs string is exactly 2 rows of pixels of background colour at the base of the string more than in v4.90, and this throws out some very careful adjustments to deal with arbitrary font scaling for custom "font sizes". (In 4.90, the text background comes out as 16 pixels high, in 5.20 and 6.10, it is 18 pixels high). In all versions, there are 3 rows of pixels above "ascenders". It was 3 and now is 5 rows of pixels below "descenders". In all versions of Windows, the total height of text is 10 pixels, and this is a "version of Salflibc.dll" thing, not a windows thing.

Would that I could carry on using 4.90, but its SLINK won't run in Windows 7, and Windows 7 is needed to let me enable the new font scaling enquiry mechanism that came in with Vista and is now de rigeur.

Eddie
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try experimenting with %ws or different font sizes with %`rs.
LitusSaxonicum

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will keep trying, but I have experimented with the formats you suggest.

I know the real answer, which is to do things a completely different way - start again from scratch. But, I have a huge investment in effort in the way I have gone. Maybe a retirement project!

Thanks for the suggestion about the second Salflibc.dll, it was spot on.

Eddie
jjgermis

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Eddie,

you mention that you still use 4.90. Is there any reason for this? I find this interesting because I still use that version. Somewhere during 5.x I got problems which I could not solve.
LitusSaxonicum

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Johann,

I'm running on an academic licence, and my Uni won't just upgrade me for a minor glitch. We are converting from XP to Win7, and when I found that SLINK with 4.90 wouldn't work in Win7, that was a good enough reason to upgrade. For some reason I can't fathom, my office computer had 5.20 installed. I can't tell you where it came from, but it's there! Now, I have been upgraded to 6.10, which works in XP and 7.

Generally, I was happy with 4.90, as the things it wouldn't do, did not bother me (much), although every time I saw an upgrade - especially to do with Clearwin - I wanted it. (4.90 won't do GIFs, for example). I started to discover the extra pixels problem by accident, as I had no idea what had happened, as I had no idea when 5.20 arrived! I just can't see what must have happened to %rs/Salflibc.dll after 4.90, and my workaround is not to use any new features, and use the older dll.

What problem(s) have you had with 5.xx?

Eddie
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two points...

1. You can probably use a new salflibc.dll with an old FTN95.exe but not vice-versa. I realise that this is not a helpful comment in the present context.

2. Eddie, if you will post a sample that does not look good with the current salflibc.dll then I will see if I can arrange some kind of fix.
jjgermis

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Eddie,

the forum is great (and at most I do like the memory capability). In this thread you will find the background. Actually I never checked it out with later versions.

Jacques
JohnHorspool

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eddie - my preferred editor is also PFE32. But unfortunately I have found that on my 64bit windows 7 laptop it is very flakey and freezes up a lot. As development and support of the editor finished several years ago then this is probably not too suprising.
jjgermis

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John, we also used PFE32 for a long time (and some still do). A good alternative is Notepad++. Initially I thought that this is only minor improvements to the notepad we are used to. However, this is more like UltraEdit (if one would like to compare it).
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be interested to know how these other editors have the advantage over Plato.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> Support All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: