forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index forums.silverfrost.com
Welcome to the Silverfrost forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Breakpoints

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stfark1

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:37 pm    Post subject: Breakpoints Reply with quote

I have previously set a breakpoint at a line that is not allowed. Now, whenever I start a run in my project, the system issues a message that "this is not a line that can be set for a breakpoint". I get the message several times until I have exhausted an internal count. Worst yet, the count seems to increase as I use the project. Is there a way to "start" this process over so I do not continuously get this message? I have tried to re-link, other solutions and still get the system statements. I have also tried to re-start the run and not save the breakpoints, still get the statements!Thanks in advance, Sid Kraft
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you running SDBG directly or via Plato?
If via Plato, which version and have you set the Plato option to fully integrate with SDBG?

I don't think SDBG saves the breakpoints between runs.
Breakpoints can be saved in a Plato project but you should be able to cancel by going to the line and by issuing a cancel breakpoint command. You ought to be able to do this before or during debugging.

Failing this, breakpoints are stored in the project ini file which you can edit manually.
stfark1

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:29 pm    Post subject: Breakpoints Reply with quote

Paul: Thanks for the info. I looked at the project file and don't see a line that I can change to eliminate the breakpoints. What should I be looking for? Sid Kraft
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are running SDBG from a Plato project then the breakpoints are stored in the project ini file in the section headed [Breakpoints]. Just delete this section to remove all breakpoints.

Chances are the breakpoints are not present and you are getting the effect in some other way. For example you can use "Run to cursor" and you will get the message if the line at the cursor cannot have a breakpoint.
sparge

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This post interests me because it's something that has bugged me for a while too, in part because it does not seem to happen consistently enough to get a handle on.

I believe it happens when code is edited and a line that had a breakpoint attached is deleted, but the breakpoint is not deleted with the line - it moves to the next non-deleted line down (which might be a comment, for example).

It is my impression that it is caused by Plato being still insufficiently integrated with SDBG, in some way. I only get this happening when I am debugging from within Plato.

It is also my impression that Plato and SDBG maintain separate breakpoint lists, or maybe have separate handles on a shared breakpoint list, so that the two apps can get out of synch intheir understanding of the state of breakpoint play.

My memory is a little rusty because I had been obliged to lay down my FTN95 arms for the best part of a quarter, and I was resolved to pick them back up today, after first catching up on the forum. So I hope to be able chip in more helpfully from now on.
aebolzan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Breakpoints Reply with quote

stfark1 wrote:
I have previously set a breakpoint at a line that is not allowed. Now, whenever I start a run in my project, the system issues a message that "this is not a line that can be set for a breakpoint". I get the message several times until I have exhausted an internal count. Worst yet, the count seems to increase as I use the project. Is there a way to "start" this process over so I do not continuously get this message? I have tried to re-link, other solutions and still get the system statements. I have also tried to re-start the run and not save the breakpoints, still get the statements!Thanks in advance, Sid Kraft

I had the same problem several times without finding where the breakpoint was! No, I do not use Plato integrated with SDBG, I run SDBG in the old fashion (the "Waiting"window is quite annoying when Plato and SDBG are integrated and I want to see the values of the variables). I think it could be useful to have the posssibility of : "remove all breakpoint" inside Plato, so that, one can start from scratch every time one needs.

Agustin
sparge

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been dipping my toe back into the waters of development again this morning, setting breakpoints and adding and deleting lines of code, and I'm seeing the issue again. I started out with getting "This is not aline that can be breakpointed" but now I'm getting something more interesting, that I had seen before but had forgotten about.

Currently I am in a situation where the debugger keeps halting at a line where there is no longer a breakpoint as far as I am concerned, because I F2-toggled it off in SDBG, nor as far as SDBG is concerned, because the line in question is not longer grey barred ... but there still is a breakpoint as far as Plato is concerned, because there is a little dark splodge in the grey left hand margin. And yet there is apparently no way to turn it off in Plato. It is a "ghost" breakpoint!

Furthermore, the only menu reference I can find to breakpoints (View-Debugging-Breakpoints) does not list any breakpoints. In Plato, that is ... but it does bring up a new Breakpoints window in SDBG, which does list them all.

I just looked under Plato's Tools-Options and the "Integrate with SDBG" checkbox is unchecked. I confess I thought I had this option active. The fact that I have a little debugging toolbar in Plato (Compile, Build, Start, Step Into, Step Over, Continue Debugging, Stop Debugging) would certainly seem to be a good clue!?

So it looks to me as if the issue is not just that Plato is insufficiently integrated with SDBG when the box is checked, but also that it is insufficiently disintegrated (!) from it when the box is not checked.

I'm going to try checking the box and see what happens, and then unchecking it again, and see what happens. Watch this space.

<edit>

Well, I wasn't expecting that. I closed my app down, closed and reopened Plato, checked the Integrate with SDBG checkbox, and started my app. Invoked a menu command from my app's UI and got an access violation from SDBG. Should have had the presence of mind to do an immediate screen dump, but instead swapped out to start editing this post and when I returned attention, the error window was whited out and sdbg was hung. I eventually shut it down and sent the error report to MS.

When I started over to try and reproduce the problem, it hung again, but without reporting an access violation. Think I will have to reboot to clarify.
sparge

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I am now Officially Confused. After the reboot, I could "run" my app under SDBG control, without it hanging, BUT it certainly did not behave normally, like it did before I checked the SDBG integration box. It's an image processing app that creates and displays images as %gr windows in a %fr region. It would create an image in the main window, hit the "ghost" breakpoint I referred to in the previous post, and then when I gave permission to continue ... the image would vanish again. Did that twice wih the same result. Time to uncheck the box again.
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is not easy to comment on this from a distance. The behaviour could be affected by all kinds of things.

You should certainly make sure that the relevant files have been recompiled after any changes to the code.

Also Plato integration with SDBG is an option in the Options dialog and the integration has been significantly extended in the latest version of Plato. Even so the latest integration still does not provide all of the features that you get by running SDBG from a command line.

In order to make any sense from this thread it would help if you leave Plato out of it for now and just run SDBG from the command line.
sparge

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, from my point of view that's not an option, partly because I'm fully Plato-oriented now, but mainly because the behaviour of concern to me requires Plato to be used. Maybe the best thing is if I start a new thread specifically for breakpoint issues with Plato and SDBG working together?
aebolzan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sparge:
I do not see what is the problem. I use Plato every day and start SDBG from Plato but it is NOT integrated with Plato. SDBG starts in a separate window and once you close SDBG you go back to Plato. You can still test your problems with breakpoints without running SDBG integrated with Plato (I said above that I had the same problems even without "integration". That's why I asked to have a button for erasing all breackpoints with a simple click).

Best regards,

Agustin
sparge

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Agustin,

Problem is, Paul is suggesting leaving Plato out of the equation altogether, and running SDBG from the command line - not even having Plato open at all.

You are using Plato and SDBG together the same way as I am (though that was not apparent from your first post in the thread). Plato is an integral part of the problem. Paul wants us to remove Plato from the diagnostic process, apparently believing that the issue is confined to SDBG. That is the problem.
stfark1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:57 pm    Post subject: SDBG/PLATO Reply with quote

aebolzan: Now I am totally confused. I run with PLATO all of the time, not integrated with SDBG.I always get the breakpoint messages. How in the world do you run SDBG under PLATO without integration, totally confused!! Paul suggested to eliminate the breakpoints in the "INI" file, cannot find the "INI" file nor breakpoints. I also looked in the project file but found no breakpoint entries there???? Sid Kraft
aebolzan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok! Now I see what is the real problem....yes, also for me it would be quite annoying to leave Plato for another editor (in fact I tried in the past to use only my LaTeX editor and found that for FTN95 is much better to stay with Plato, although it is not customizable as the other...), or begin to open and close Plato every time I need the debugger.....

I would like to add that my problems with breakpoints eventually disappeared with the program I am developing but I do not remember if it was because the addition or removal of sentences eventually "move" the breakpoint to a new location, or because I clean an rebuilt the entire project several times (and that removed the breakpoint). Sorry, no clue at all....

Agustin
aebolzan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sid:

you should have an .ini file in the same location of your project file with the same name as the name of the project. In the ini file you have several "sections" and one of them is something like

[Breakpoints]
-1483185722_1=36
-464175133_1=12
1711357132_1=539
-156060576_1=18
-1882130835_1=508
-1370585183_1=20

I guess you should remove this (I never did it, by the way...)

I use SDBG from Plato but no integrated. That means: I select "Debug Win32" in the configuration window (instead of "release win32")and start SDBG clicking on the green triangle in the tool bar. That's all

Agustin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> Plato All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: