forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index forums.silverfrost.com
Welcome to the Silverfrost forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Windows 7 64 bit re-visit

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stfark1

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 7:50 pm    Post subject: Windows 7 64 bit re-visit Reply with quote

Hi Paul: Is there any reason to believe that the problems that I experienced in the past with Win 7 64bit have been solved? Please let me know. Thanks, Sid kraft
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know, no one has managed to reproduce your problem.
For myself, I am not yet geared up to testing under a 64bit OS.
mecej4

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:20 pm    Post subject: FTN95 on Windows 7-X64 Reply with quote

I have no trouble compiling and running Fortran console applications from the command line or from Plato.

Code:
s:\>ftn95 -nocolour -V

Silverfrost FTN95/.NET Copyright (C) 1993-2010 Silverfrost Ltd
    ---------------------------------------------------------------

Version:          5.50.0
        Built:            Sat Feb 27 20:28:53 2010

Operating System: Microsoft .NET on Windows 7 Home
        CPU:              Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU       T4300  @ 2.10GHz Model 7 Step 10
        CPU Features:     MMX, SSE, SSE2, x86-64
stfark1

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:12 pm    Post subject: Win 7 64 bit Reply with quote

Andrew/Paul Laidler/ other:

I currently am using the SilverFrost Fortran/Plato3 with Win 7 32 bit. It runs fine under 32 bit but I had problems running it with the 64 bit version. I would like to use the 64 bit version to get support for more memory. Has there been any new updates to the SilverFrost Fortran/Plato3 system to enable it to run under Win 7, 64 bit? Please let me know. Thanks in advance, Sid Kraft Cool
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The current release of Plato is version 4.3.
If you can describe your problem and someone else can confirm it then the best I can do at the moment is to log it as something to be fixed.
Before too long I plan to have a testing environment for Windos 7 32bit and 64bit versions.

As you will appreciate, it is extremely difficult to fix bugs that I am unable to reproduce on my machine.
aebolzan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problems here with Win7 64 bit......Plato 4.3.0.

Agustin
mecej4

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:40 pm    Post subject: Unstated problems while sunning FTN95 on Win7-64 Reply with quote

Quote:
I would like to use the 64 bit version to get support for more memory
You are still using a 32-bit compiler, and the .EXE it produces is also a 32-bit program. Therefore, the .EXE is subject to the usual limitations of 32-bit programs. Your program cannot even tell that it is running on a 64-bit system, without using some rather special tricks (these would not be implemented in Fortran!). Any "support for more memory" would have to come from the 64-bit OS, not from the 32-bit compiler or the 32-bit EXE files that it produces.

The only advantage of running Salford FTN95 on a 64-bit Windows system is that your EXE does not have to compete for its share of 32-bit address space with those Widows processes that are 64-bit. Thus, a bigger fraction of the 4 GB address space may be available to your program than on 32-bit Windows, provided you have more than 4 GB of installed RAM.
JohnCampbell

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am now using a 64-bit OS. My experience to date is:
There is no way of getting more addressable memory with FTN95 than the past 1.7gb practical limit.
I've not found how to implement the /3gb switch either, although this was of limited practical value.
The big change is disk I/O is now much faster as the disk buffering for large files appears to be much better managed, possibly due to more physical memory and also possibly because the 64-bit OS is better suited to dealing with bigger files.
This means that my "2gb" limited programs which used disk storage for overflow ie "out of core solutions" work much faster when more than 2gb is required for the equation solution.
Also, make sure you understand the influence of:
-addressable memory, (limited to about 1.7gb with FTN95)
-available physical memory (limited to 4gb with 32 OS) and
-pageing memory limit (which can be much bigger, I don't know the limit).
They all interact to effect the run time. The 64 OS can increase all but the first to improve performance.
I've also implemented better reporting of processor and disk times (like task manager) and although at times it appears that little is happening apart from disk delays, the total disk time is not as bad these days.

John
JohnCampbell

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much a week can change things !!
Quote:
There is no way of getting more addressable memory with FTN95 than the past 1.7gb practical limit.

See my posts this week in Support, as it appears that with Win-64 and WOW64, you can address nearly 4gb of memory, but only by using ALLOCATE. There also appears to be a limit of 2gb for a single array. Hopefully that may change too.
Addressable memory appears to have doubled !

My experience of XP-64 has been very promising.
John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> Plato All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: