forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index forums.silverfrost.com
Welcome to the Silverfrost forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

resizable fonts for %rb, %rd, %sl, %ca etc.?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> ClearWin+
View previous topic :: View next topic  
qt

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:38 pm    Post subject: resizable fonts for %rb, %rd, %sl, %ca etc.? Reply with quote

Hello!

A customer asked me to describe the problem below.
Any idea?

Joerg Kuthe
www.qtsoftware.de

Chinese and Japanese windows systems are working with other text and symbol size settings then German or English windows systems. Their standard settings are similar to what we get when we select ″Large Fonts″ on our windows system. As well they have other default fonts for text output.

I have to modify my formatted windows. No problem to select fonts and font size for formatted windows. However, the selected size is not used for a caption text set with %ca, as well not if it is a caption for a property sheet.

The selected size does as well not effect boxes like %rb, %rd, %sl, and probably more.
I am not sure, if %dy, %nl or %ff are scaled.

As result my formatted windows are really not acceptable, if the installation is on a Chinese or Japanese computer, because I have %og or %gr graphics windows included in the formatted window. These graphics windows have fix pixel size.

How can I solve this problem?
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The answers to these questions depends mainly on what can be done with the raw API since ClearWin+ is largely a wrapper for the Windows API.

For example, the caption (%ca) is simply what you get in a Windows caption and, as far as I know, can only be controlled globally from the desktop settings.

All of this is compounded by the fact that these are not ASCII character sets for which I have very little experience. These character sets are usually UNICODE and FTN95/ClearWin+ is not geared up for this.

It may be possible to extend FTN95/ClearWin+ provided that there is raw support from the API but it is unlikely that there will be a demand for this extension which would be quite costly to provide.
LitusSaxonicum

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joerg,

Your problem lies with Windows, not with FTN95, and it lies in the way Windows handles non-standard font sizes, to cope with the multiplicity of different screen sizes and shapes. Basically, my understanding of this is that Windows calculates an average character size based on the font size setting and other parameters it gets from the video driver, and scales everything on the basis of these character units, not pixels. I have searched the web many times for the details of this, and whether you find it or not seems to me to be pot luck! When you find it, the explanations are not always very helpful. Anyway, ClearWin uses those average sized characters to scale with, because as Paul says, it is just a Fortran wrapper for the Windows API.

The result of this - as far as I am concerned - is that every now and again, things don't line up. For example, if have three %rd boxes one above the other, then if the explanatory text is to the left of them and it has different lengths, then sooner or later, no matter how careful I am to space it out, then a setting (normally to do with a wide-screen laptop with hi-res screen, where large fonts is essential) will result in the boxes not lining up vertically. Bizarrely, the problems seem bad with large fonts, but small fonts are nowhere near so troublesome (i.e. not at all a problem for me).

I have discovered several workarounds to this. The simplest is to always put the text on the right hand side of the input boxes!

Much more complicated is to use GET_TEXT_SIZE@ before writing anything, and then adjust with spaces and %ta to suit - and possibly combine it with %ap and %rp (and maybe %dy) for positioning.

For me, the problem also manifests itself with toolbars. I like the design flexibility with %tb, although %ib is simpler to program. I find that the icon spacing with %tb is broken by the large fonts setting (but not by small fonts). My workaround for this is to put a %bm bitmap into the toolbar which has the right colours to fill in the gaps between the %tb icons, although this needs some attention to the screenwidth. Fortunately, the icons and real controls all come to the front of the %bm.

This suggests that a third workaround is simply to skip the use of text labels, and put them already made up into a %bm or %wp. Some Windows settings and computer types do not give you completely closed boxes with one or more of top, left, bottom, right) missing. Of course, if your box is already pre-drawn on the %bm or %wp, it can be as fancy as you like!

Although you have come across the problem with East Asian fonts, it is there with the large fonts setting, waiting to come out at some stage in the future. (I would have never discovered it if I hadn't bought an Acer widescreen laptop with large fonts enabled by default).

This brings me to the next difficulty: how do you discover if the large fonts option is enabled? The answer is that this is fantastically difficult. In my case, I gave up, and there is an initial setup screen in one of my programs that shows two images and asks "which one of these looks better?" One is spaced for normal fonts, the other for large fonts. I then hold a parameter in an INI file (someone smarter than me would put it in the registry).

As you say your formatted windows don't work well when they contain fixed size %og or %gr areas - you have to put all the fixed size elements in a window either at the top or the left for the automatic spacing mechanism to have freedom to work. We all of us tend to make our windows too complicated.

I find this very frustrating.

Eddie
LitusSaxonicum

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul,

I don't think Joerg's software uses East Asian fonts, rather that when run on a computer set for them, the spacing goes awry.

Eddie
EKruck

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Paul and Eddie,

I have these font problems. Because my account was not active, I have asked Joerg to put it into the forum. By mistake, I placed the same once more again.

Thank you for all the explanations. However, it is a Clearwin problem !!
We have one progrm made with QT. There are no such problems. Only the caption and the menu is bigger. All other items are identical in size.

Of corse we do not use Chinese or Japanese fonts. We use Microsoft Sans Serif or Tahoma.

I have built some gif-files to demonstrate our problems. I could email it to you or put it on our FTP server, and you can download it.

Regards, Erwin
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you could demonstrate the problems (one at a time) with short Fortran programs then I could try to fix the problems. If possible post the samples here on the Forum. A screen image would help if the result depends on the screen settings etc. Let me know and I will email you an address to send the images to.
EKruck

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Paul,

it took some time to reduce the program from 5000 lines to 200 lines and remove all un-necessary stuff. Now it is small (relatively).

The next problem with size of the %ob boxes is not yet included. I would like to email some screen shots.

Regards, Erwin

!-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
winapp
PROGRAM B3dViewG
!- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
! COPYRIGHT : DR.-ING. ERWIN J. KRUCK, AALEN 1987-2010
!- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
IMPLICIT NONE
INCLUDE <clearwin.ins>
DOUBLE PRECISION rsl_xyzRot(3), rsl_logZoomAll, rsl_logZoomZ
INTEGER isl_FromPt, isl_ToPt, No_of_point_lists
INTEGER irb_Perspective(4), irb_ShowAxis, irb_ShowPhotos, irb_PhotoNumbers, irb_PhotoConnect, irb_ShowCameras
INTEGER irb_ShowPoints, irb_PointNumbers, irb_Ellipsoids, irb_ShowControl, irb_ControlNumbers, irb_ControlVectors
INTEGER irb_ControlConnect, irb_ShowCheck, irb_CheckNumbers, irb_CheckVectors, irb_ShowGPS, irb_GPSVectors, irb_ShowLines
INTEGER w_handle, iPopHandleNr, MA, HD_View1, HD_View2, HD_View3, iBgoFont
irb_ShowAxis = 1
irb_ShowPhotos = 1
irb_PhotoNumbers = 0
irb_PhotoConnect = 0
irb_ShowCameras = 1
irb_ShowPoints = 1
irb_PointNumbers = 0
irb_Ellipsoids = 0
irb_ShowLines = 1
irb_ShowControl = 1
irb_ControlNumbers = 0
irb_ControlVectors = 0
irb_ControlConnect = 0
irb_GPSVectors = 0
irb_ShowCheck = 1
irb_CheckNumbers = 0
irb_CheckVectors = 0
irb_ShowGPS = 1
isl_FromPt = 0
isl_ToPt = 20
No_of_point_lists = 50
rsl_xyzRot = 0.0D0
rsl_logZoomAll = 0.0D0
rsl_logZoomZ = 0.0D0
irb_Perspective = 0
irb_Perspective(3) = 1
iPopHandleNr = 0
isl_FromPt = 0
isl_ToPt = 0
iBgoFont = 0
CALL SeleFont (iBgoFont) ! Select font
MA = WINIO@ ('%ca[View]&') ! Property sheet 1

MA = WINIO@ ('%bg&', RGB@(135,215,230))
ma = winio@ ('%`rb[Axis ]&', irb_ShowAxis)
ma = winio@ ('%dy&', 0.2D0)
ma = winio@ ('%nl%`rb[Photos ]&', irb_ShowPhotos)
ma = winio@ ('%nl %`rb[Numbers ]&', irb_PhotoNumbers )
ma = winio@ ('%nl %`rb[Connections]&', irb_PhotoConnect)
ma = winio@ ('%nl%`rb[Cameras ]&', irb_ShowCameras)
ma = winio@ ('%nl&')
ma = winio@ ('%`rb[Points, all or]&', irb_ShowPoints)
ma = winio@ ('%nl points with rays&')
ma = winio@ ('%nl &')
ma = winio@ ('%`bg[white]%dd%il&', 1, isl_FromPt, No_of_point_lists)
ma = winio@ ('%2rd to &', isl_FromPt)
ma = winio@ ('%`bg[white]%dd%il&', 1, isl_ToPt, No_of_point_lists)
ma = winio@ ('%2rd&', isl_ToPt)

ma = winio@ ('%nl %`rb[Numbers ]&', irb_PointNumbers)
ma = winio@ ('%nl %`rb[Ellipsoids ]&', irb_Ellipsoids)

ma = winio@ ('%nl%`rb[Control points ]&', irb_ShowControl)
ma = winio@ ('%nl %`rb[Numbers ]&', irb_ControlNumbers)
ma = winio@ ('%nl %`rb[Vectors ]&', irb_ControlVectors)
ma = winio@ ('%nl %`rb
EKruck

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Paul,

it took some time to reduce the program from 5000 lines to 200 lines and remove all un-necessary stuff. Now it is small (relatively).

The next problem with size of the %ob boxes is not yet included. I would like to email some screen shots.

Regards, Erwin

!-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
winapp
PROGRAM B3dViewG
IMPLICIT NONE
INCLUDE <clearwin.ins>
INTEGER irb_Perspective(4), irb_ShowAxis, irb_ShowPhotos, irb_PhotoNumbers, irb_PhotoConnect, irb_ShowCameras
INTEGER irb_ShowPoints, irb_PointNumbers, irb_Ellipsoids, irb_ShowControl, irb_ControlNumbers, irb_ControlVectors
INTEGER irb_ControlConnect, irb_ShowCheck, irb_CheckNumbers, irb_CheckVectors, irb_ShowGPS, irb_GPSVectors, irb_ShowLines
irb_ShowAxis = 1
irb_ShowPhotos = 1
irb_PhotoNumbers = 0
irb_PhotoConnect = 0
irb_ShowCameras = 1
irb_ShowPoints = 1
irb_PointNumbers = 0
irb_Ellipsoids = 0
irb_ShowLines = 1
irb_ShowControl = 1
irb_ControlNumbers = 0
irb_ControlVectors = 0
irb_ControlConnect = 0
irb_GPSVectors = 0
irb_ShowCheck = 1
irb_CheckNumbers = 0
irb_CheckVectors = 0
irb_ShowGPS = 1
isl_FromPt = 0
isl_ToPt = 20
No_of_point_lists = 50
rsl_xyzRot = 0.0D0
rsl_logZoomAll = 0.0D0
rsl_logZoomZ = 0.0D0
irb_Perspective = 0
irb_Perspective(3) = 1
iPopHandleNr = 0
isl_FromPt = 0
isl_ToPt = 0
iBgoFont = 0

ma = winio@ ('%nl&')
ma = winio@ ('%nl &')

ma = winio@ ('%nl %`rb
EKruck

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Paul,

Regards, Erwin

winapp
PROGRAM B3dViewG

Sorry, I am not able to submit the source. I get always the following error message:

Ran into problems sending Mail. Response: 503 Bad sequence of commands

DEBUG MODE

Line : 185
File : smtp.php
EKruck

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Paul,

Regards, Erwin

winapp
PROGRAM B3dViewG
IMPLICIT NONE
INCLUDE <clearwin.ins>
irb_ShowAxis = 1
irb_ShowPhotos = 1
irb_PhotoNumbers = 0
irb_PhotoConnect = 0
irb_ShowCameras = 1
irb_ShowPoints = 1
irb_PointNumbers = 0
irb_Ellipsoids = 0
irb_ShowLines = 1
irb_ShowControl = 1
irb_ControlNumbers = 0
irb_ControlVectors = 0
irb_ControlConnect = 0
irb_GPSVectors = 0
irb_ShowCheck = 1
irb_CheckNumbers = 0
irb_CheckVectors = 0
irb_ShowGPS = 1
isl_FromPt = 0
isl_ToPt = 20
No_of_point_lists = 50
rsl_xyzRot = 0.0D0
rsl_logZoomAll = 0.0D0
rsl_logZoomZ = 0.0D0
irb_Perspective = 0
irb_Perspective(3) = 1
iPopHandleNr = 0
isl_FromPt = 0
isl_ToPt = 0
iBgoFont = 0

ma = winio@ ('%nl&')
ma = winio@ ('%nl &')

ma = winio@ ('%nl %`rb
EKruck

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Paul,

Regards, Erwin

winapp
PROGRAM B3dViewG
IMPLICIT NONE
INCLUDE <clearwin.ins>
irb_ShowAxis = 1
irb_ShowPhotos = 1
irb_PhotoNumbers = 0
irb_PhotoConnect = 0
irb_ShowCameras = 1
irb_ShowPoints = 1
irb_PointNumbers = 0
irb_Ellipsoids = 0
irb_ShowLines = 1
irb_ShowControl = 1
irb_ControlNumbers = 0
irb_ControlVectors = 0
irb_ControlConnect = 0
irb_GPSVectors = 0
irb_ShowCheck = 1
irb_CheckNumbers = 0
irb_CheckVectors = 0
irb_ShowGPS = 1
isl_FromPt = 0
isl_ToPt = 20
No_of_point_lists = 50
rsl_xyzRot = 0.0D0
rsl_logZoomAll = 0.0D0
rsl_logZoomZ = 0.0D0
irb_Perspective = 0
irb_Perspective(3) = 1
iPopHandleNr = 0
isl_FromPt = 0
isl_ToPt = 0
iBgoFont = 0

ma = winio@ ('%nl&')
ma = winio@ ('%nl &')

ma = winio@ ('%nl %`r
EKruck

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Paul,

Regards, Erwin

When I try to include the source, I get always the following error message:

Ran into problems sending Mail. Response: 503 Bad sequence of commands

DEBUG MODE

Line : 185
File : smtp.php
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The source code above is not complete.
You can send the code and images to the address that I have emailed to you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> ClearWin+ All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: