forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index forums.silverfrost.com
Welcome to the Silverfrost forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Property sheet crash
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> ClearWin+
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JohnCampbell

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:33 am    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

PaulLaidler wrote:
At the very least I recommend that you change all the callback return values from 1 to 2

Dan,

I think this may be very useful advice, as a call back response of 1 can do a lot of unnecessary screen updates. I am in the process of implementing this change to respond to other devilry I have located. You may see my recent post of problems when using export_image@. It wasn't this routine as I did some changes to file open/close and I scared off the devilry (for the moment). I am now cleaning up the interrupt responses throughout the program.

John
DanRRight

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John, Thanks for reminding as I often do not care about this. After checking the code it looks like I have done that for all functions called by %PS couple years back when this issue with them =1 or =2 surfaced. And since this did not change anything of course I'm kind of semi-forgot about this. May still miss this somewhere in damn amount of used functions. Will try to enforce further cleaning searching around "end function" statements when I will have sleeping difficulty Smile
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One other thought...

If a "Settings" dialog is somehow causing instability because of multiple calls to callback functions then you could consider forming a more stable environment by creating the "Settings" dialog just once. You would hide this dialog instead of closing/destroying it and show it rather than recreate it. In this way the connection between this dialog and its variables in your code would be fixed and permanent. In theory it ought to make no difference but there is apparently something nasty going on because of the way in which your callbacks are interacting.
DanRRight

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

PaulLaidler wrote:
One other thought...

If a "Settings" dialog is somehow causing instability because of multiple calls to callback functions then you could consider forming a more stable environment by creating the "Settings" dialog just once. You would hide this dialog instead of closing/destroying it and show it rather than recreate it. In this way the connection between this dialog and its variables in your code would be fixed and permanent. In theory it ought to make no difference but there is apparently something nasty going on because of the way in which your callbacks are interacting.

Paul, I use opening and closing property sheet to save settings after changing something. By the way, how to hide the entire window?
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The simple and direct way is to call the Windows API ShowWindow.

Code:
include <windows.ins>
integer ir
integer(7) hwnd
ir = ShowWindow(hwnd, SW_SHOW)
ir = ShowWindow(hwnd, SW_HIDE)
DanRRight

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, will play with this option too. Thanks, Paul
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan

A bug has been identified in the ClearWin+ code for %ps and this is likely to be the cause of the failure. I will post a message when a new set of DLLs becomes available. I can do this soon as long as it is understood that there will be no significant changes for %pl and %fr.
DanRRight

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was the most annoying bug in Clearwin, true devilry. "Was", if it really was catched, I cross my fingers. What could be more bad then to have the bug which disappears when you start the program inside the debugger?

It disappears in debugger even if you compile the code with /nocheck , so this is how I used the code for more then a decade, always running it via debugger. And this is how I discovered that besides of this error the debugger is actually very very useful.

Last edited by DanRRight on Thu May 24, 2018 4:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
John-Silver

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't believe that by running anything in the debigger solves a problem. It might hide it away somewhere, or simply just not flag it, but it's still there !
What it does to your program, now that is the 64000 dollar question.

It's like rust on your car, you can paint over it but one day your car will fall apart - and when you least expect it !!! LOL
''Computers are incredibly rigid. They question nothing. Especialy input data.Human beings are incredibly trusting of computers and don't check input data. Together they are capable of cocking up even the simplest calculation ... Smile "
DanRRight

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course for this exact problem debugger did not find the bug, it was hiding it out at least I was able to run the code
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> ClearWin+ All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: