forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index forums.silverfrost.com
Welcome to the Silverfrost forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FTN95 and Visual Studio

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jim

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:35 am    Post subject: FTN95 and Visual Studio Reply with quote

Can legacy F77 code be compiled with FTN95 to create console based, conventional Windows® and Microsoft .NET applications? Will mixed language programming work for F77 legacy code? Are there any limitations using F77 code?

With a purchase of the latest release of FTN95, what version of Visual Studio do you recommend that offers mixed language programming? Is there other software you recommend for a programmer starting to develop Windows applications using FTN95?

Please feel free to offer any recommendations.

Thanks,

Jim
JohnHorspool

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Can legacy F77 code be compiled with FTN95 to create console based, conventional Windows® and Microsoft .NET applications?

Yes.

Quote:
Will mixed language programming work for F77 legacy code?

Yes.

Quote:
Are there any limitations using F77 code?

If the legacy F77 is strictly and fully F77 compliant then there will be no problems or limitations. However in my experience this is seldom the case if ever! Very recently I was given some legacy F77 code which was last compiled in 1990 using Salford Software FTN77 (the fore runner of Silverfrost FTN95). It would not compile without modification under FTN95. Upon investigation it quickly became obvious that the original code was not F77 compliant even though the procurement specification called for this. The code contained vestiges of Fortran IV. So don't be surprised if your legacy F77 code causes a problem with FTN95.

I don't use Visual Studio or any form of IDE. I compile and link on a DOS window command line, mainly using batch files (just I have done for the last 30 years). I currently use the "Progammers File Editor" (PFE32) to write and edit source code.
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FTN95 is released with its own IDE called Plato.
Plato is usually used with FTN95 to create Win32 applications and DLLs.
Visual Studio is usually used with FTN95 to create .NET assemblies.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: