forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index forums.silverfrost.com
Welcome to the Silverfrost forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Win32 ftn95 binaries on Win64 - pitfalls?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JohnMansell

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:08 am    Post subject: Win32 ftn95 binaries on Win64 - pitfalls? Reply with quote

A client is running our Win32 software on Win64 XP. Are there are any issues with floating point underflow? Our program has generated an underflow and crashed. Currently, we don't have Win64 for testing, so debugging this may take time. A quick work-around would be to remove the (deliberate) underflow - it comes from the DLAMCH routine in Lapack, but I would think that underflows were fairly common, so this would not be a full solution.
JohnHorspool

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,

I work on Win64 XP and have no issues with floating point underflow (or overflow or anything else for that matter), using an AMD Phenom quadcore processor. The 64bit OS appears to run 32bit stuff flawlessly (and fast!). However, I do not use any third party libraries like Lapack (do you compile this from source or use a DLL?), other than OpenGL.

cheers,
John
JohnMansell

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's ftn95-compiled from downloaded source obtained from Netlib. I guess, I'll have to persuade my management to stump up for Win64 box.
Although it happens in real life, it's always bad style to get the users to debug your programs
DanRRight

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see FTN95 works on Vista 64 no problems (did not try debugger yet as I've heard there were some compaints about it), but today noticed that OpenGL does not work at all. Freezes program. Will look further, may be there exist some bug somewhere in my code.
DanRRight

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, seems there is some other reason for program crash. The original examples supplied with FTN95 also do not work. Could be opengl32.dll and glu32.dll as they are 32-bit builds causing these problems in Vita64. Or Vista itself which is still immature and has a lot of small problems which need fixing
JohnHorspool

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no problems with OpenGL on XP64, my code only uses opengl32.dll (not glu32.dll) and all the original examples supplied with FTN95 also work.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: