forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index forums.silverfrost.com
Welcome to the Silverfrost forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Searching the forums

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
acw

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:07 pm    Post subject: Searching the forums Reply with quote

Hi all.

Am I being dim here? I'm trying to search the forums, in this case for everything relating to the /timing option. I go to the Search page, enter timing into the keyword box, hit Search and get 6 results, all of which have "timing" in them - great. However, if I google on "ftn95 timing" I come to a post from Sept 2006 "ftn95 /timing option" (http://forums.silverfrost.com/viewtopic.php?t=402) which does not appear in my search list but sure does containg the timing keyword.

I've not added any additional search filters - it should be searching everything but seems to be limited, perhaps by date. Has anyone got any helpful suggestions ?

Thanks,
Alan
JohnCampbell

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't comment on the forum search, but would recommend your use of /timing, which I have found very useful.

A tip for easy use is I collected all the code that I wanted to compile with /timing into a single .obj, by listing all the source code files as includes in a single .f95 file. I omitted the routines(files) that I did not want to time in detail from this include list.
If you time some low level routines (such as vector products) that are called many times (say 10^9 times), there is a run time overhead for each call, which can explode the run time and may be better monitored by timing the higher level routines that call them.

It's a lot easier than some implementations I've use in the past.

John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: