forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index forums.silverfrost.com
Welcome to the Silverfrost forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Multithreading in win32

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
acw

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 12:31 pm    Post subject: Multithreading in win32 Reply with quote

The ftn95 help has info on multithreading using .net (create_thread@ et. al.) but not in native win32 land. Before I take the plunge, am I likely to have any success using the win32 API (CreateThread and related fns) as in C/C++ or am I on a hiding to nothing ?

Thanks
Alan
Andrew

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 2:29 pm    Post subject: Multithreading in win32 Reply with quote

FTN95 has not been designed with multi-threading in mind in Win32 mode, but there are people who use CreateThread etc quite happily. IO used to be an issue, but the IO library was overhauled with the move to .NET so should now be thread safe. Basically, most things should work (standard Fortran of course, if you are using Clearwin+ then that may be a different story) but there may be the odd issue.
Anonymous

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 8:04 am    Post subject: Multithreading in win32 Reply with quote

When I had v4.8 my multithreading worked fine.
There was an option soewhere in Project->Properties that had "SINGLE THREADED" as an option.
I had this unticked, had references to pertinent libries to use _beginthread, declared them and all was fine.

However, now under v4.90, I can no longer find the "SINGLE THREADED" option, I cannot get multithreading to work.

I need to create GBs of data and it can take 3-4 days to complete, I would prefer it to take the 2-3 days again with multithreading.

Any help appreciated.

Bri
Andrew

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 2:35 pm    Post subject: Multithreading in win32 Reply with quote

If you do want to turn off this switch manually then if you cannot find the option you could always specify it as an extra option within Plato or Visual Studio by completing the section for extra command line arguments. For full details of how command line switches work execute FTN95 /? at a command prompt. It will give you a full list of options. To disable the option SINGLE_THREADED you can either specify the option with a preceding '-' e.g. /-SINGLE_THREADED or you could specify the opposite switch /MULTI_THREADED.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: