forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index forums.silverfrost.com
Welcome to the Silverfrost forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

action of acos/asin intrinsic functions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
louis

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:15 am    Post subject: action of acos/asin intrinsic functions Reply with quote

I recently wrote some code which used the Fortran intrinsic function ACOS. The argument of course must lie between -1.0 and 1.0 for any meaningful result. My example code computed a value for the argument which was -1.0 except at the 15th decimal place, but FTN95 still raised a run time error due to an argument outwith the allowed range

My request is for the FTN95 versions of ACOS/ASIN to behave more like Linux/Unix versions, i.e. if the number is -1 or +1 within a certain (generous) tolerance, it be treated as exactly -1 or + 1

Over the years I have found many examples where this behaviour has necessitated writing extra code to ensure arguments don't fall outwith the allowed range. This code is not necessary when using most Linux/Unix Fortran compilers !
JohnHorspool

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louis, isn't it best practice to write code that checks these arguments as a matter of course, and aren't the Linux/Unix compilers actually breaking the standard ?
IanLambley

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

John is absolutely right. You could try the real*10 precision in calculations leading up to your ACOS/ASIN, or if you are not interested in the checks then how about a lazy ACOS/ASIN, typically:

angle=acos(max(-1d0,min(1d0,cos_of_angle)))

Regards

Ian
louis

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello

I agree in principle with the comments of John & Ian that the code should be in itself robust (rather than relying on compiler user-friendliness). In fact I use exactly the quick fix that Ian suggested.

Its just that the code I write is compiled both for Windows with FTN95 and for Linux, and I constantly find these little issues. A bigger issue is the Unix "nan" as an escape from e.g. zero divide and similar errors.

In the end though FTN95 is a truly excellent tool at winkling out coding errors...

Regards Louis
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> Suggestions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: