soccer jersey forums.silverfrost.com :: View topic - Win7/OpenGL/Listview/Nvidia crash
forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index forums.silverfrost.com
Welcome to the Silverfrost forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Win7/OpenGL/Listview/Nvidia crash
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sebastian

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:30 am    Post subject: Win7/OpenGL/Listview/Nvidia crash Reply with quote

Hello,

strange combination of features that leads to a crash, it only happens on nVidia graphics cards (several have been tested, various driver versions) and never on ATI/AMD cards. The only feature that relates to graphics cards is the OpenGL window, though that is just a dummy in the test case (so there may be a problem related to the OpenGL initialization in salflibdll-internal routines). It happens at least with compiler version 6.00 and reportedly 6.10 as well.

The crash happens if an underflow occurs in a callback function of a list view (the 1.e-28*1.e-29 results in 0.0 for real*4 where underflow is signaled but *should* be ignored as of default ftn95 settings). It looks like the underflow handler crashes the application.

To reproduce the problem use the sources posted below, compile with "ftn95 lvtest.f95 /link", debug settings enabled if you wish to trace the callback code. Running the application, then click on the second entry and the application will crash (again this is Win7+nVidia *only* as of our testings).

An additional strange quirk is that it seems to behave different if the listview content strings are defined as character(len=12) instead of len=* but that may or may not be a red herring.

Sources for lvtest.f95:
Code:
winapp
program listbox
   implicit none
   external callback
   integer :: v, i
   character (len=*), dimension(3), parameter ::lvdata = &
     (/'|Data1     |', '|Data2     |', '|Data3     |'/)
   v = 1
   i=winio@ ('%og&', 100,100)
   i=winio@('%^20.5ls',lvdata, 3, v, callback)
end program listbox

integer function callback()
   real :: f1,f2,f3
   callback = 2
   f1 = 1.e-28
   f2 = 1.e-29
   f3 = f1*f2
   f3 = f3*f3
end function

Thanks!
JohnCampbell

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sebastian,

I tried your example ( on an XPx64 machine without an nVidia card)

I compiled with Ver 5.50.0 /check /link and ran it in sdbg; selected Data2 and stepped through callback.
F3 underflows to zero, with no message.

I must admit I prefer len=12 to len=*

John
Sebastian

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It works for me as well both on an XP/nVidia machine, as well as a Win7/ATI machine.
Sebastian

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This seems to be the source for a lot of crashes lately, nVidia cards are much more widespread and close-to-zero values may occur any time when interacting with external data (it even happens often with values far away from denormals as can be seen in the example).

Anybody looking into this? If you need more information or additional testing please let me know.
Robert

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't fail for me on my Win 7 x64 nVidia PC. Is it driver dependent?
Sebastian

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No it isn't, I've tried it on several PCs (mostly Win7/64bit) with different graphics cards.

Examples I've just checked out again with driver version information:
GeForce 460 v266.35
GeForce 285 with lots of different drivers ranging from 197.45hql to 270.51beta.

All exhibit the same problem, clicking on the second entry and then closing the application leads to a program crash.
Robert

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sebastian - do you see Exception 0xc000041d?
Sebastian

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If running it the regular way it triggers a "does not work any longer" message of Win7 without further information.
If it's run under sdbg it'll indeed halt at Unknown/user32.dll with Exception 0xc000041d.

If the callback handler is traced in sdbg I see the f3 = f1*f2 (which causes the underflow) to never return.

Thanks for looking into this!
Sebastian

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It occurs on several other PCs as well including GTX 460M (==mobile) nVida cards. Any progress on this?
Robert

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still looking at it. The example does work if you mask the underflow exception - which you can do by using this command prompt command:

set salfenvar=mask_underflow

Not happy about that as a solution though.
Sebastian

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any news on this? I've converted a part of the code to crop small numbers to zero but this can not be done in many other places since we would lose by far too much of the precision.
Robert

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did setting the environment variable work for you?
Sebastian

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes but that's not something I can automatedly do for the main application, nor do I know what effects this would have.
Sebastian

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is still not fixed. Reported 3 years ago.

I've just tried on a bunch of old and new PCs, it does not work on any nVidia (consumer) graphics card PC (Drivers may be old or new it has no effect on the crash) whereas it does work on any AMD graphics card as well as an nVidia QUADRO card in an old XP system.

Currently smallest program to reproduce the crash:
Code:
program test
   implicit none
   integer :: iw, sel
   character(len=*),dimension(2), parameter :: wlist=(/'e1','e2'/)
   external testcb
   iw = winio@ ('%og[double]',300,200)
   sel = 1
   iw = winio@ ('%^lb',wlist,2,sel,testcb)
end program
integer*4 function testcb()
   implicit none
   real*4 :: f1, f2, f3
   testcb = 2
   f1 = 1.e-28
   f2 = 1.e-29
   f3 = f1*f2
end function

where you can compile it with basically arbitrary flags. Running it, you click away the first window (the OpenGL one) and then select the other entry on the list box to Trigger the callback function. that part crashes when the denormal is (tried to be) stored in f3.

Thanks.
DanRRight

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sebastian, This code freezes with Nvidia GTX770, driver 335.23 (release 3/10/2014), Windows 8.1, Intel processor

Underflows is one of the damnest hidden problems sometimes. Years ago I had it sporadically crashing the code even with the standard Fortran source where i calculated exp(-X) with X becoming large. I do not see that anymore though, or may be i restricted the X range, i forgot. I posted here about that (you can find by searching this forum by keyword "underflow" and by my username).

BUT.

We still experienced deadly bites of underflow recently. I posted demonstrating example for that, it is in the last page about multhithreading with NET

http://forums.silverfrost.com/viewtopic.php?t=2533&start=45

Same flaw still bites the nice parallel method Jalih developed which pushed me to abandon it because when crash happen it is not possible to find where (since the debugging did not work with multithreading). My code uses a lot of exponents and some values permanently go under. I made all needed restrictions to not allow underflow but it squeezed finally somewhere else and i couldn't find where in days.

I have not yet try and investigate in detail if all this will crash and not allow to debug the parallel method developed by Paul recently:

http://forums.silverfrost.com/viewtopic.php?t=2534
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> Support All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: