forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index forums.silverfrost.com
Welcome to the Silverfrost forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Use of Developer Studio .NET and Fortran Standard i/o

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anonymous

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 8:09 am    Post subject: Use of Developer Studio .NET and Fortran Standard i/o Reply with quote

Fortran has the concept of standard input and standard output and one way of using these is to issue the command
prog.exe < data.dat > results.res

In this case the channel numbers (usually 5 and 6 these days) become associated with data.dat and results.res without the need for explict OPEN statements in the Fortran source program.

Whilst Developer Studio allows for this capability it is not obvious to me that Developer Studio .NET has the necessary links in place. This is probably my relative ignorance of Developer Studio .NET, but any pointers would be gratefully received since we would like to give complete information to our customers.

In particular how do we advise users to associate e04ucfe.d to channel 5 when they are compiling and linking the NAG example program e04ucfe.f to an FTN95 implementation of the library? At the moment the only solution we can see involves explicity opening the data file and associating it with the channel 5 input stream.

Regards,
David Sayers

David Sayers
Anonymous

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 5:01 am    Post subject: Use of Developer Studio .NET and Fortran Standard i/o Reply with quote

Well redirection of standard input appears to be possible via the 'Debugging' menu of the Project Properties page, but currently this only seems to work if the run is made via the 'Start' menu of 'Debug' and does not work using the 'Start Without Debugging' menu of the 'Debug' menu. (Two days ago I thought it did!) Is this a known feature of Developer Studio .NET? If it is, then the original question still stands. How do you redirect standard input in Developer Studio .NET ?

David
Andrew

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 9:56 am    Post subject: Use of Developer Studio .NET and Fortran Standard i/o Reply with quote

This is a bug in the Visual Studio plugin I am afraid and the way it handles non-debug launches. This will be fixed in the next build of the plugin.
Andrew

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 8:28 am    Post subject: Use of Developer Studio .NET and Fortran Standard i/o Reply with quote

There will be a new build of FTN95 out quite soon, however, I am afraid this issue is not yet resolved. We will continue to work on it and will make a new version available when this is fixed. It is possible to install the plugin separately to the main install of FTN95 so an entire new release will not be required when this is resolved.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: