forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index forums.silverfrost.com
Welcome to the Silverfrost forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

OpenGL on newer ATI graphics cards
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lozzer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

Robert wrote:
Just to be clear on this ... this issue does affect 32-bit Window as well as 64-bit?

Haven't a clue. Problems currently on 64-bit with ATI as mentioned in my earlier post. I don't know of any customers who are buying 32-bit systems anymore.
Robert

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you download this and run it:

http://www.silverfrost.com/public_downloads/wglCreateContext.exe

It will need salflibc.dll on the path. It checks that it can talk to the OpenGL subsystem. The traceback from lozzer suggested that maybe it couldn't see it.

Sebastian: are you still saying that it is a FP control word issue? I have stepped through the call that the above .exe makes and there are no FPCW changes. If the CW was being changed as you said it would cause a big problem.
Sebastian

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have stepped through the call that the above .exe makes and there are no FPCW changes.

It's the default fpu CW setting (is that even specified in the EXE/PE header??) of a ftn95 compiled executable which leaves the underflow exception unmasked.
Thanks for looking into this!
Sebastian

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It checks that it can talk to the OpenGL subsystem. The traceback from lozzer suggested that maybe it couldn't see it.

The call works fine here and returns a non-null address. In general there's no problem with the wglCreateContext functionality per se on these systems/ATI drivers, other OpenGL applications work fine, all have to create a context using this function.
lozzer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

Robert wrote:
Can you download this and run it:

http://www.silverfrost.com/public_downloads/wglCreateContext.exe

It will need salflibc.dll on the path. It checks that it can talk to the OpenGL subsystem. The traceback from lozzer suggested that maybe it couldn't see it.

Sebastian: are you still saying that it is a FP control word issue? I have stepped through the call that the above .exe makes and there are no FPCW changes. If the CW was being changed as you said it would cause a big problem.

I'm completely lost now. Is this program supposed to work on a client's PC? I've tried running it on mine and I get what appears to be a command box appearing very briefly and then it disappears.
Robert

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to run it from a command prompt (otherwise the message disappears). It should be run on a machine that has the problem.
Sebastian

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Is this program supposed to work on a client's PC?

Yes. It is supposed to *not* crash as it only queries a function and does not execute it.
lozzer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

Robert wrote:
You need to run it from a command prompt (otherwise the message disappears). It should be run on a machine that has the problem.

Okay, have tried it and on my PC gives an address. I am assuming that on a computer which has the problem it would give en error?
Sebastian

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like I've already said, I tested it on Win7+ATI graphics card and it behaves as expected, i.e. does not crash and prints out the address of the wglCreateContext function.
Robert

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tried the OpenGL examples on a Win 7 x64 bit system with an ATI card. However, it was an oldish card and the examples ran okay.

Sebastian, can you post details of the crashes you see: tracebacks preferably from within salflibc.

Additionally, does the issue manifest itself through an RDP connection? If it does, is someone willing to let me have a debug via such a connection?
Sebastian

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have tried the OpenGL examples on a Win 7 x64 bit system with an ATI card.

Only newer models are affected (ATI Radeon HD 5770 here, also see lozzer's list), we could not reproduce it with older models either.

Quote:
Sebastian, can you post details of the crashes you see: tracebacks preferably from within salflibc.

The messages are not too helpful, for our main OpenGL application (Win7 message) it's an Access violation at instruction address 0, reading from 0. The small OpenGL test application (sources above, plain %og) just hangs and triggers some Win7 timeout.
Maybe lozzer has a more useful error message on the systems he tested his application.

When running the applications under an external debugger (OllyDbg) it halts at the fpu exception inside the ATI opengl driver. I can try to produce some screenshots of such a debugging session (salflibc's OpenGL window proc up to the wglCreateContext call) if that'd be helpful.

Quote:
Additionally, does the issue manifest itself through an RDP connection?

I don't think RDP connections from outside are possible here, but I'll check that.

Thank you!
lozzer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone at Silverfrost done any more about this one?
Robert

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

> Additionally, does the issue manifest itself through an RDP connection? If it does, is someone willing to let me have a debug via such a connection?

We offered to debug it on a failing machine.
Sebastian

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We cannot provide remote access to our machines (maybe somebody else can arrange that, but always tricky).

What/how do you intend to debug that? sdbg surely won't get you far. As already mentioned above I can provide e.g. screenshots of a low-level debug session depicting the problem spots. Or you can post details of what information you need/how you want to get them.
Robert

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please send all the information you can.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> Support All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: