forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index forums.silverfrost.com
Welcome to the Silverfrost forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Out of memeory

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anonymous

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 8:21 am    Post subject: Out of memeory Reply with quote

With my old compiler I had no problem compiling a certain project. Using the new (and Plato3) the compilation fail 'not enough memory to compile'. Any idea why (any setting to change). The particular project is not that big and I have other bigger ones that compiles okay.

Sten Lou (sten.lou@conocophillips.com)
Andrew

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 2:18 pm    Post subject: Out of memeory Reply with quote

Do you mean an older version of FTN95 or another compiler worked to compile this project?
Anonymous

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 1:07 am    Post subject: Out of memeory Reply with quote

Andrew

An older Salford ftn95. I believe purchased in 1999 or 2000. I kept this on my PC until sure that the upgrade (purchased approx one month ago) worked. It is my data module that is the 'problem maker' on the new compiler.

Sten
Anonymous

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 1:52 am    Post subject: Out of memeory Reply with quote

Hi Sten

Is it possible to send us a compilable example?
Anonymous

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 4:06 am    Post subject: Out of memeory Reply with quote

will send the data module from my outlook
Anonymous

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 2:35 pm    Post subject: Out of memeory Reply with quote

Sten

This is not actually a compiler bug, it is by design. Your program contains a line that declares:

CHARACTER*512
* file_wildcard(1000000),

file_wildcard here will be 512000000 bytes in length (nearly half a Gigabyte). When using the /undef switch the compiler allocates all common and module data into a static segment with the undef value. There is currently a limit of 1/4 Gigabyte on this space and that is what you have hit.

I suspect you could either parameterise the array (i.e. use a parameter to size it and make it a bit smaller if using /undef) or use a smaller value... a million files IS a lot :)

----
Robert
Anonymous

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 4:16 am    Post subject: Out of memeory Reply with quote

Robert

Some people work with 'big' numbers. Actually, I have software that use grid that are very, very big (and many). I expect to run in to problems with these as well. Is the solution not to use undef?

Sten
ps if I have a ram of 2 gig, what would you do?
Anonymous

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 11:49 am    Post subject: Out of memeory Reply with quote

I think the best thing to do is try /undef on datasets that are a bit smaller. Undef checks every single reference for an undefined variable and so is much slower than non /undef code. Making the datasets smaller means it runs quicker Smile

FTN95 will allow you to use most of your 2GB of memory. Allocatable arrays are unaffected by the 256MB limit on static 'undefed' data.
Anonymous

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 3:12 am    Post subject: Out of memeory Reply with quote

You could try makng your MODULE arrays ALLOCATABLE, allocating the memory at runtime. Cool
Anonymous

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:41 pm    Post subject: Out of memeory Reply with quote

It is not really a big array at all!
Just use /stack:50000000 or more at SLINK time and all will be OK till 1.6GB
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> Support All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: