forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index forums.silverfrost.com
Welcome to the Silverfrost forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Appearance under Win XP / Win 7

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> ClearWin+
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wilfried Linder

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:46 am    Post subject: Appearance under Win XP / Win 7 Reply with quote

I found a funny effect which you can see with the following small test programme: Under Win XP the window looks "as it should", a list with 3 lines. Under Win 7 the programme shows only the first 2 lines and a slider bar. Any idea?

Code:

WINAPP
      OPTIONS(INTL)

PROGRAM TEST

IMPLICIT NONE
      INCLUDE <WINDOWS.INS>

integer*4     j,k
      character*4   mtext(3)

mtext(1) = 'BMP '
      mtext(2) = 'JPEG'
      mtext(3) = 'TIFF'
      k = 1

j = winio@('%ca[Image import]%sy[3d_thin]%fn[MS SANS SERIF]%ts'
     *    //'%cn%ob[named_l][Format]%4.3ls%cb%ff%nl%cn%`7bt[OK]',.9D0,
     *    mtext,3L,k)
      end

Regards, Wilfried
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You get this effect with different screen resolutions rather than different operating systems. ClearWin+ calculates the size of the control on the fly based on the screen resolution. On one case the size is not quite sufficient for three items so a scrollbar is supplied by the control.

This does not happen very often but it just happens that the calculation is on the border line in this case.

Strictly speaking this boils down to a limitation of ClearWin+ because it means that ClearWin+ is not doing the calculation perfectly in these instances. You do not get this effect with a visual designer where everything is represented in so-called dialog units.

Using a slightly different font size for the control might tip the balance, otherwise it might be necessary to use %di with a dialog resource in order to avoid the problem.
Wilfried Linder

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Paul. I found that a font size of .92D0 leads to the correct result.

Regards, Wilfried
LitusSaxonicum

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wilfried,

If it is any help, I have found that moving away from the default font and default font size often causes these issues. A further problem arises with the Large Fonts setting in Windows. I don't use %ls (well, not often) but I find a problem with %ta and large fonts. This occurs when I put the label for an input box on its left side. Then, the length of the descriptive label may be different with different screen settings. I've found that the workaround that always works is to start the label after the box, i.e. on the right side. Then, boxes always line up correctly vertically.

Since I don't have a handy Windows 7 machine, I can't tell if using the standard font resolves the matter you reported, but I would speculate that it might. However, the default font and font size does make some of the buttons etc look large and clumsy at some screen settings.

Eddie
Wilfried Linder

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Eddie: I tried to use text sizes like in other programmes (for instance from MS office) and they also seems to be smaller than the default size. As you wrote, the default size looks not so good for instance with textual buttons. On the other hand, the header text (with %ca) is OK without any modification.

@Paul: I'm not sure whether the problem comes from Windows 7 or from the new screen resolutions. I have the effect both on my new office PC and my new laptop. I will make more tests and compare the results with my old laptop (lower screen resolution, Windows XP). If possible, I'll solve the problem going from text size .9D0 to .92D0.

Thank you for your help!
Regards, Wilfried
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> ClearWin+ All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: