forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index forums.silverfrost.com
Welcome to the Silverfrost forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The future of Fortran
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DanRRight

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sparge,

Yes, as John mentioned, all that you mentioned as absent is optional and Exit bitmap is also there, i do not think i need to post resources, anyone can use own ones.

Just to emphasize my point better, here are real numbers: in my 250000 lines Fortran code i have 20000 lines Clarwin part and 100 lines Resource file, hence we have the whole right not to count 0.5% of "colateral" resource code since in average this is less than 1 character per line.

And FTN95 is the compiler where implicit none is almost useless since it has undefined variable check which is much more powerful anti-error "pest control".

Please post the source code for any other GUI builder, who cares in which platform or language.

I glad, jjgermis, that you share my point that it is amazing that this compiler developers are losing the customers by not emphasizing their work. Working in the largest scientific institutions in the world and visiting many others i used, tried or at least saw all existing Fortran compilers for all platforms IBM, DEC, Unix, Cray, Sun and literally was shocked that no one knows Salford FTN77/95 ones which as soon as they appeared always were a whole decade ahead of others.
sparge

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

JohnHorspool wrote:
Andy, the exit button is provided by the bitmap e.bmp

Also I have written fortran code for over thirty years without ever declaring i and j to be integers! Is it wrong to use the defaults i.j.k.l.m.n for integers and the rest for reals?

Aha, I see now why my window looked a bit odd. I used the same bitmap for both a and e. Doh.

Nothing wrong with i-n integers and the rest real. I still observe that convention - but I declare them anyway. Belt and braces!

@Dan, my error about the Exit button. And implicit none or otherwise is a preference not a requirement, I know that. And I don't have source code in any other platform or language. I wasn't claiming I could do better. In real code, I (and I suspect you) would have written your first line over several lines, with one control per line for clarity; the fact that it can be done in only one line is academic.

My comments were part frivolous and part serious. You are clearly a programming demigod and I am finding it a bit tedious the way you repeatedly iterate this fact, unbidden. I don't care about your quarter of a million lines of code; they are irrelevant for the purposes of this micro-program. If I want to measure the size of text it takes to define a single word, I include all the stuff that is required. The fact that some of those definitions can be re-used to build the entire Oxford English Dictionary is similarly irrelevant.

So, 6 lines of code, not 1. But very impressive nonetheless.

Andy
LitusSaxonicum

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As one develops a program using Clearwin+, the resources section grows - and the more one tries to cover all the options of screen sizes and resolutions, the worse it gets. For me, the single critical incantation is the mystical

Code:
1  24  default.manifest

that I understand can now go in a resource section (it used to have to go in a separate RC file), and which transforms the boring Windows 95 look into magnificent XP style. I still wish I understood it enough to tinker with it, say by changing the values 1 and 24, but no others I've tried seem to work.

Eddie
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The numbers cannot be changed. There are no other options.

You can write your own manifest but the last time I look at this there was nothing of significance that you could change in this context.
LitusSaxonicum

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps I'll never understand it. It seems that "24" means "Manifests" and "1" means "use the default" and "default.manifest" means "if you forgot what 1 and 24 do, here's a clue".

However, the line really does make a real improvement in the look of Clearwin programs ....

E
DanRRight

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sparge,

What the heck it's of "academic interest"? Do not like "one fortran line" -- ok, it's just 132 symbols per one such window. No one is interested in writing just one single window in the whole program. In last case even 1000 lines per such a window will be OK, who cares. But Clearwin has no advantage for one-window programs.

Practically, resource file added at link time used not only for many windows of same program but for many programs.

Last edited by DanRRight on Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:19 am; edited 3 times in total
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 1 and the 24 are magic Microsoft numbers used when compiling a resource that is a manifest file. You will be able to find further information on MSDN but it won't help anyone.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: