forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index forums.silverfrost.com
Welcome to the Silverfrost forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

User's Examples
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DanRRight

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 9:52 am    Post subject: User's Examples Reply with quote

topic to the index of this forum with the users codes is suggested to add to this site which will demonstrate what is possible to do with Salford fortran
jjgermis

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Until now there was at all no respond to this. This is actaully a very good idea Exclamation Learning by example is always a good start. One thing that I still cannot understand is why the examples in the FTN install directory is nowhere mentioned. If this could come to the fore it will be easy to convince anyone to use (maybe) Fortran for his application.

Recently I atended a meeting where guys demand JAVA for numerical calculations becaues of some irreproducible arguments. It is important to mention that these guys:
a) do not know how data are (or can be ) transferred between programs;
b) have nothing good to say about Open Source and in the next sentence demand the use of JAVA for numerical applications and
c) want to port 10 thousands of code to JAVA without any good arguments.

What can say: do'nt drink and drive.
jjgermis

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunate Silverfrost does not respond (directly) to this. It would be interesting to know why.

Anyway, SIMDEM and SIMFIT might be the first attempt to fill this gap! I have taken a look at the stuff (and still continues to) - impressive. Many of the available functions offered I usually did with Matlab. And generating eps format for the graphics is fantasitc for any LaTeX user Very Happy Even the source of the documentation is available - great stuff.

Thanks to Bill Bardsley!
DanRRight

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FTN95 examples could be the most expiring ever any Fortran compiler on the earth produced. But even worse, you can not find existing poor examples folder easily...I am now searching for it for 20 min (despite i even have asked here before where they moved to and know that it is in some "Documents and Settings" folder but i have 6 Windows installations and 10 users in each, some have no access)

Last edited by DanRRight on Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trying searching for demo95.f90. It is in the root of the examples section.
DanRRight

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This pointed me into older installation in the win32app folder...Fun is i still could not find newer ones with multithreading example which showed how to make WRITE(*,*) FOO not to cause code to crash if function FOO performs the write itself ? BTW, is it possible to do only in multithreaded code ?
jjgermis

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DanRRight wrote:
BTW, I have sent a year or two ago such and some other snippet examples to Silverfrosts Andrew when he asked here for user examples contributions . Did not heard since that how this idea was evolving

@Andrew, I would be pleased if you could give some comments on the user examples topic. As you probably know, the best way to program is to find some example which does what you like in some way and then change it.
jjgermis

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately the progress on this issue is somewhat slow. A pitty I must admit, and especially because it was initiated by Silverfrost: http://forums.silverfrost.com/viewtopic.php?t=1082

I got some example code from Dan (by email) which uses both opengl and Clearwin. Really impressive. Now if this does not impress someone that considers to use FTN95, I am in the wrong movie.

Solar Kingdom is a good and impressive as well. Since the code is not available, it does not motivate me to use FTN95. Anyone that wants to use FTN95 would like to choose some example that does more or less what he has in mind - and then change it. Is this not the way to program nowadays? Cut, paste and compile. Whether or not this is a good trend I cannot judge. Fact is, that is in demand.
DanRRight

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If interested i can email them to anyone.
I have couple OpenGL and Clearwin examples of visualisation of 2D and 3D meshes, pie chart, global time routine, photo editing program (resize, change perspective) which do things like in this link http://forums.silverfrost.com/viewtopic.php?t=1499

Last edited by DanRRight on Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:48 pm; edited 4 times in total
DanRRight

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Sebastian suggested, i am also posting the link on these examples so that not registered in this forum people will be able to get them. Will add something else when will have time, i have many made in two decades. They are usually my test benches incorporated then into the large hydrocode. I hope you also have something to share.

If rapidshare time for these posts will expire you still can send me an email

OpenGL 2D and 3D mesh http://rapidshare.com/files/335475587/Mesh.zip.html

OpenGL pie chart http://rapidshare.com/files/335475588/pie.zip.html

Globaltime http://rapidshare.com/files/335475589/maps.zip.html

Perspective fix, resizing and panoramic images view http://rapidshare.com/files/335779520/PerspectiveFix.zip.html

Fractal http://rapidshare.com/files/336286054/Fractal.zip.html

Bitmap background in graphics window http://rapidshare.com/files/336403835/Gr_bkg.zip.html
DanRRight

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see images which were hosted by imageshack are gone. Seems they do not like to pay for excessive traffic LOL. Any suggestions where we can place them instead?
jjgermis

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dan,

I really enjoy and learn from your examples! And I am sure that others can learn as well! What I do not understand is why Silverfrost does not respond to this. It must be in the interest of Silverfrost to promote their ClearWin+ product. And if it are user examples it means that ClearWin is in use out there.

Since I am new in using (or learning) ClearWin I think an example that
1.) get some user information;
2.) perorm some calculation and
3.) then display the result
will also be very interesting. My background in using Fortran until now is only numerical calculations. We use Visual Basic/JAVA/C++ to write GUI's to collect the model parameters and write this in some text/XML file. Afterwords the Fortran program is called and the results file display in a window. Do you perhaps have something in this direction, i.e. collect and display the results using ClearWin+?

I really hope that Silverfrost would respond to the user examples idea! By the way, how do you get the images in the forum?
Andrew

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The biggest problem here is that, when the examples were requested, only a very small number came through. We are looking at a new release soon, and while these new examples may not make that release, they will be looked at for inclusion.
jjgermis

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andrew,

thank you for your reply. If I understood it correctly, you would like to include the examples wih the new release. What about making them available directly on the Silverfrost website?
DanRRight

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jjgermis,

As i said all these examples are prototypes, all of them were modified, made as a subroutines and used in large numerical code for visualization of simulation data in real time and/or post-processing. It is a lot of work (or almost impossible) to make universal visualization program for all cases, so just take the idea and modify it for your needs. The PIE and MESH programs as an example can load your own data files for visualization, so it is really easy to do all the work after that. And all is in Fortran and in the same compiler, which can help you find even many errors in Clearwin code.

What can be done else? When object oriented Fortran will finally appear, create truly Visual Clearwin with user expandable library of visual task forms-images AND math tasks like fluid dynamics, ODE, linear algebra and 10000th of others and do not program anything, only drag and drop last ones into predefined visual library of forms which will self-assemble the code for you. But that's all probably will be available in a year 2100.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> Suggestions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: