forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index forums.silverfrost.com
Welcome to the Silverfrost forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Processing USB camera

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> ClearWin+
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wilfried Linder

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:57 pm    Post subject: Processing USB camera Reply with quote

I'm looking for a way to work with an USB digital camera directly from out of my software. I want to tell the camera to make a photo and the path where this photo then shall be stored. Has anyone here experiences with this?

Thanks in advance,
Wilfried
LitusSaxonicum

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wilfried,

You may find the specifications here: http://www.exif.org/dcf.PDF of some use.

Eddie
Wilfried Linder

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Eddie. The link is interesting, but I'm loking for something different. Suppose I have a WebCam connected to an USB port. Then my software should be able to...

(1) give an order to the camera to make a photo
(2) get the image data directly from the camera (or tell the camera where the data should be stored)

More general, I'm looking for an interface between my software (FTN95) and USB ports.

Regards,
Wilfried
LitusSaxonicum

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wilfried,

Misunderstood. Apologies.

It doesn't take a lot of searching to get to this:

http://www.codeproject.com/KB/audio-video/WebcamUsingDirectShowNET.aspx

which I suppose means that you can do it in .NET. My eyes glaze over when I see that word!

There's also C code in:

http://channel9.msdn.com/forums/TechOff/93476-Programatically-Using-A-Webcam-In-C/

C has the same effect on me as .NET!

Eddie
Wilfried Linder

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Eddie.

Dot Net and C are really nice Wink Nevertheless I will use Fortran to handle really time-consuming operations like image processing. Since about 30 years I'm using this language (after or parallel to Algol 68, Basic, C, C++, Java etc). Whenever a maximum of calculation power is needed, nothing is better than plain Fortran or (if need be) a Windows / Clearwin version.

This summer I had to teach basic programming at our University. OK, 95% of the students used Java, 5% C. I let them program some simple image operations. The showdown was turning a 100 MB image in real-time *ggg* Only FTN95 was able to do this.

Best regards and thanks again,
Wilfried
DanRRight

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Controlling the camera would be one more great FTN95 application no other Fortran compiler can do. Hopefully someone someday will write such routines, i am definitely interested to have ones

I also like image processing using FTN95, it is easy and is really great fun. And is heck useful. Look how you can transform the shot made by cheap cameras which often make distorted perspective so that all buildings "fall" into different sides into professionally looking picture. You can do a lot of other image processing.

Distorted and corrected perspective ( made in Clearwin with just few clicks, nothing else ):

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> ClearWin+ All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: