forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index forums.silverfrost.com
Welcome to the Silverfrost forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Visual Studio FTN plugin locking referenced dll

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JMoody

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:12 pm    Post subject: Visual Studio FTN plugin locking referenced dll Reply with quote

I found a problem with the Visual Studio plug in.

When the FTN plugin to Visual Studio 2008 accesses a dll that is stored outside of the solution, it locks the dll.

I have a solution with a FTN dll project and a number of C# dll projects. One of the C# dlls accesses the FTN dll, and the FTN dll accesses another C# dll. Some of the C# dlls are also used in other projects, so we have a C:\lib folder where those dlls are stored for reference while debugging.

I have a special debug configuration where the C# dlls are compiled into the C:\lib folder. I have all my references in the different C# projects in the solution pointing to the dlls in the C:\lib folder. Now, if I point a reference in the FTN dll project to the C# dlls in the C:\lib folder, Visual Studio locks the referenced dll. With the dll locked, Visual studio cannot update the dll and the solution cannot be compiled.

To get around this problem, the FTN dll references have to point to the dll projects in the solution, not the dll folder outside the solution.
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have experienced problems of this kind from time to time but do not have a clear solution.

A DLL build will not run to the end if the DLL is still loaded and sometimes it is not helpful for it to remain loaded. You approach may provide a more general fix for this type of problem. Otherwise here are some things one can try...

1. Try testing the project by running the exe from Explorer etc instead of from within VS.

2. Try closing and reopening VS.

3. Try logging out and back in again!

4. Try using a hammer or other blunt instrument!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> Support All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: