forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index forums.silverfrost.com
Welcome to the Silverfrost forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

64bit Salford95
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The information was intended for those who are planning a new Fortran project.

There is a slight advantage in using the 3GB switch where this is applicable and I hope to make further improvements in this area.

You may be able to make use of towards the full 4MB when when running an FTN95 application on a 64 bt machine and operating system but I have not tested this out. This is probably the area where I could make the quickest progress.
Sebastian

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You may be able to make use of towards the full 4MB when when running an FTN95 application on a 64 bt machine and operating system but I have not tested this out.

As of our testing, this is indeed a possibility to get the maximum out of a 32bit-targeting executable (with Vista64 or Windows7/x64) which is unfortunately still way below what'd be needed. Thanks for the hint anyways.
LitusSaxonicum

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would prefer to believe that Paul meant "irony" not "sarcasm".

E
Sebastian

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will the .NET-support be extended somewhen to support compiling into 64bit assemblies? (x64 target option as present in e.g. c#-projects)
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may be possible but the last time we looked at this, 64 bit C# could only handle 4GB chunks.
Sebastian

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
but the last time we looked at this, 64 bit C# could only handle 4GB chunks.

This is still correct for .NET 3.5 (it's not bound to the language), yet the total amount of occupied memory is not limited to 4GB so this would be an acceptable limitation.

Would you mind to post an estimate whether this feature could be implemented and a rough timeframe?

Thank you.
Paul E

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:09 pm    Post subject: R e Compling under 64-bit OS Reply with quote

JohnHorspool wrote:
Quote:
I cannot compile programs on the 64-bit OS

well I can only state that in 18 months of using win XP64 I have never had any problem using the 32bit Silverfrost FTN95 compiler, the program applications created work fine on 32bit or 64bit windows systems and I have even got them to run in Ubuntu Linux 64bit under "wine", and I'm not talking of simple "noddy" applications, but programs incorporating a standard windows interface using "winio@" with both GDI and OpenGL graphics.

However the fact the compiler was trying to access memory above 2GB I find to be very strange behaivour, I cannot understand this.

Does a very simple program like:-

Code:

program hello

write(6,*)'Hello World"

stop
      end

also fail in the same fashion?

Reply I have tried this program and I get the same error. However I tried the same program, and indeed much bigger programs on my wife's PC running 64-bit Vista and there were no problems. The 64-bit XP OS will run Fortran programs compiled on other PCs but will not compile, always giving the message
'Acess violation at address00538571 attempted to write to location 7fff0000 '

Is there soemthing in the OS setup or environment variables that could be causing this?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: