forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index forums.silverfrost.com
Welcome to the Silverfrost forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A suggestion for Plato

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brucebowler

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:18 pm    Post subject: A suggestion for Plato Reply with quote

It would be nice if, when one opens a project, the project file were added to the "recently opened files" and the individual files were not. That would, in theory, make it easier to switch back and forth between multiple projects.

Or perhaps have 2 "recent" lists, one for files and one for projects.
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I will add this to the wish list.
sparge

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please add my 17 stone or so to the weight of evidence for this wish list item - it's an excellent suggestion.

On roughly the same theme, I very seldom use Plato to work on files in isolation. I'm almost always working on projects (although I will occasionally open an individual file from "elsewhere" when I am doing so). It seems to me that's what Plato is all about, so to me it seems unduly file-centred. I don't know how other people would feel about another possibility for emphasizing projects over files - simply to reverse the order in the menu so that New/Open/Close Project comes before New/Open/Close. Or if that's too radical, keep the order but amend the nomenclature to emphasize the distinction i.e. rather than New/Open/Close, have New/Open/Close File. I still regularly choose File-Open by mistake when I want to open a project.

Andy
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input.

I have added "Recent Projects" for the next release.

The layout of the menus was designed to follow Visual Studio as far as possible so that users could easily interchange between Plato3 and Visual Studio. But then the Visual Studio was changed to what I would have expected in the first place! I will think about what to do now.

As you will probably know, you can set the Plato3 options so that, when you open Plato, the open files and/or project are restored from the last session.
brucebowler

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given that the "Ive added recent projects for the next release" statement was made almost 2 years ago, I'm wondering when the next plato release is likely to be? The version I downloaded last night is still 3.5 and doesn't seem to have the recent projects option (unless I missed something obvious).
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The current download is called Plato rather than Plato3 and is at version 4.11 on my machine (but I may be a little ahead of the latest release).

Anyway, "Recent Projects" has been there for a while and can be found on the File menu.
brucebowler

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does "personal" vs "paid" matter? I'm using the personal version of ftn and re-downloaded it a short time ago (V5.30) and it seems to have Plato V3.5 which doesn't, as near as I can tell, have "recent projects" anywhere in the menu system.

Bruce
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no difference between the various releases except that the personal (free) version shows a "niggle" dialog each time you compile.
brucebowler

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what version of ftn has plato V4 in it (or is plato V4 a separate download?).

Bruce

PS the "niggle" comes when you run, not when you compile :-)
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The current release of FTN95 should come with Plato version 4.x.
It is not released as a separate download.
If this is not the case then please let me know.
brucebowler

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bad (he says sheepishly). Somehow there were 2 entries for plato in the menu, the first one listed was 'plato3'. I didn't notice 'plato' a little further down the list.

Also I apparently (at least according to add/remove programs) had 2 silverfrost installations. I deleted both, and started from scratch and everything is "right with the world" :-)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> Suggestions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: