forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index forums.silverfrost.com
Welcome to the Silverfrost forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Unpredictable run-time errors

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anonymous

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:27 am    Post subject: Unpredictable run-time errors Reply with quote

I am having enormous problems with a code compiled using FTN95. Although there is lots of it, the code really only does lots of arithmetic, no graphics calls etc. It has been used with many data sets without a problem until recently. Using a 'new' data set (comprising many, mainly ASCII input files) gives unpredictable errors, usually along the lines of 'can't allocate memory'. I have also had errors about XSUX_ (which I guess is some kind of system command/parameter??)

There is nothing apparently wrong with any of the input files. Errors apparently occur in different places, depending on the exact specification of the data files: however, I have not been able to make sense of any of the messages received. There are many allocatable arrays within the code. When compiled with full checking (/check), the code will run, without reporting any errors, but it runs incredibly slowly, too slowly to be of use. Code compiled with a Lahey F90 compiler also runs without any problem (without array bounds checking): this is OK in the short term, but we will eventually run up against file size limitations (the code can produce very large files, >2Gb). I am using FTN95 version 4.0.0. A colleague has compiled the code with Personal Edition version 4.8.0, but we get the same problems.

I suspect some kind of memory 'leak', but don't know how to find it, or fix it. Our IT department have not been able to understand the problem either.

Is this a compiler bug?

Tim Lewis
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 12:43 pm    Post subject: Unpredictable run-time errors Reply with quote

I suggest that you step through the code at run time using the debugger (SDBG) either directly or from Plato.
Then fix the bugs one at a time when they are reported in SDBG.
The debugger will stop at the first bug at the relevant point and you will be able to view the values of the relevant variables etc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> Support All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: