forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index forums.silverfrost.com
Welcome to the Silverfrost forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"FTN95 or FTN77 must be on the PATH"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rainer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:53 pm    Post subject: "FTN95 or FTN77 must be on the PATH" Reply with quote

Hi,

I've downloaded the FTN95 Personal Edition (5.2.0.0) to see if it gives the same error as our licensed version (4.6.0.0). I unchecked 'set environment variables' on installation, because I thought it might interfere with the setup used for regular compilation with the licensed version. Not sure if that would happen or how to undo it if it does, so I was cautious.

Then, when I tried to compile I got the compile-time (windowed) error message "FTN95 or FTN77 must be on the PATH".
There is a FTN95.exe in the "FTN95" folder used, so that shouldn't be the problem.

Can someone give me a hint why it does not work ?
For comparison, an older Personal Edition version (4.9.0.0) that I still had backupped doesn't give that message and compiles fine.
OS is Windows 2000 Professional.

Thank you.
Rainer
JohnCampbell

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rainer,

The appropriate path for ftn95 or ftn77 must be active when using either compiler. I'm not sure of the files used by each to know if there is a clash, as I only use ftn95.
I'm assuming FTN95 and FTN77 use different paths and environment variables for include etc, such as ftn95include and mod_path.
If you compile in a dos-box, then use SET to list all the settings you have.
Mine include:-
f95include=C:\Program Files\Silverfrost\FTN95\include
FTN95_NEW_MEMORY=ON
mod_path=C:\Program Files\Silverfrost\FTN95\include
Path=C:\Program Files\Silverfrost\FTN95; ...(etc)

You can use the PATH command to update the path for the appropriate compiler. This can easly be placed in a batch command, or modified permanently using SYSTEM.
JohnHorspool

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,

I haven't seen FTN95_NEW_MEMORY before, what does it do?

thanks,
John
PaulLaidler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FTN95.exe must be "visible" when issuing a compiler command and the usual way to do this is to include its folder in the PATH environment variable.

FTN77 and FTN95 can reside in the same folder.
f95include and and mod_path are not used by FTN77.
FTN95_NEW_MEMORY is only used by the current beta download of salflibc.dll (see forum announcements - 10 Sept 2008).
Rainer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to mention that I compile from inside Plato (3.15), not from a DOS box.

I'm afraid, I don't know what "The appropriate path [..] must be active" means.
Plato used to access the FTN95 folder (within the main Salford installation path) on my hard disc for compilation, so I copied the folder away, then renamed the respective other folders (with Personal Edition 4.9.0.0 or PE 5.2.0.0) to "FTN95" and tried again.
This worked for 4.9.0.0, but not for 5.2.0.0.
The whole source code, including the project file, is saved somewhere else and wasn't changed.

I looked inside Plato under "Project -> Properties" and "Tools -> Options", but didn't find anything where I could enter a path.

Forgive me if the questions sound stupid. I'm not a professional programmer and don't know much about compilers.

I will try the same procedure again on my laptop at home and give you an update, if relevant.
Rainer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I have tried it at my home laptop and I don't get the error with the new Personal Edition, regardless of whether I combine it with Plato 3.15 or Plato 4.

I guess my computer at the office is either set up differently or might have accessed a wrong file somewhere along the way. Apparently Windows dynamically changes the contents of links if you rename the target. I will have to wait until next week to find out.

I apologize for any confusion I might have caused.
Still, I would be interested to know what it means for a "path to be active".

Thank you.
Rainer
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: