forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index forums.silverfrost.com
Welcome to the Silverfrost forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FTN95/SDBG under 64-bit Vista

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bstott

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:13 pm    Post subject: FTN95/SDBG under 64-bit Vista Reply with quote

I just got 64-bit Windows Vista, which is supposed to be friendly to 32-bit apps. In fact, every one of my 32-bit apps migrated nicely to it, including FTN95 (versions 4.9 and 5.21), run in console mode. The only thing that fails is the debugger SDBG. Is SDGB supposed to work under Vista 64?

I posted a query about this last week on the Support Forum, but the Silverfrost team has remained mute on the subject. As far as I can see, neither its website nor the various Forum exchanges warn about incompatibility with Vista 64.

Has anyone tried FTN95/SDBG with Vista 64?
DanRRight

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm waiting 64bit FTN95 loooong time already...and i'd definitely like to migrate to 64 bit Vista, but would be interested first does 64bit Vista with any current Fortran compilers for Windows (if 64bit compilers already exst) offer any advantages in terms of extended memory address space (which in 32bits OS is somewhere near 1.6GB), larger stack limits etc ?

Last edited by DanRRight on Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:26 am; edited 1 time in total
bstott

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now I would just settle for being able to run the existing SDBG on a Windows Vista x64 OS, which is supposed to handle 32-bit apps. But SDBG always fails with the message "Salford run-time library. Insufficient memory available for CHECK mode. Fatal run-time error".

When I browse the computer stores here (Arizona) I notice that at least half the PCs already have Vista x64 installed on them, so this is becoming the standard Windows OS and all 32-bit apps should work on it.

Intel Fortran 10.1 runs on 64-bit Vista, and will generate code for running on 32 or 64 bit systems. But FTN95 is so nice to use, and I'd hate to give it up.
DanRRight

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Intel is already making 64bit Fortran, interesting.
As to your problems, I'm sorry to note, you are an early adopter, while most of businesses still do not consider Vista deployment, whether it is 32 or 64bit. Look at HP or Intel for example, they do noit plan to switch a year more or so. Inertia, MS bugs. learning curve. more support needed, more stiff hardware requirements ..And all that means money...You are saying you have 6GB of RAM? But HP and Intel are cheap. I am not even mentioning Silverfrost Smile Also note, that England is on 16 place, US on 13 on computer science olympiads not far from Zimbabwe Smile . Degradation.
Andrew

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry no-one has got back to you about this Vista 64 bit issue. I'm afraid our debugger guy is away at the moment so it may be a week or two before this can be looked at. However, I believe he does run Vista 64bit, and I believe that SDBG has run OK with it - although that will have to be confirmed. One thing it may be useful to check, as ever, is versions of Salflibc.dll etc.
bstott

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Andrew. One thing I can report is that I tried FTN95 on my wife's Vista 32 machine and everything, including SDBG, worked fine.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: