forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index forums.silverfrost.com
Welcome to the Silverfrost forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Win32/VS2008 debugger crash in Vista with v 5.21

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
acw

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:00 pm    Post subject: Win32/VS2008 debugger crash in Vista with v 5.21 Reply with quote

I am having big problems using the Win32 debugger within VS2008 in Vista. At various points when leaving a function the whole thing hangs and I have to kill devenv.exe to get back to normal. THe problem occurs when single-stepping into and out of functions and is repeatable. It only occurs when using the Win32 debugger in VS2008 on Vista - VS2005 seems okay and VS2008 is okay on XP. I've only got one Vista install (fully updated, UAC disabled) so I can't tell whether it's my setup or a general problem.

The code below causes the problem - if you just create a new FTN95 project and repeatedly press the step into button, stepping into the CrashOnStepIn function, the second time you exit the function VS hangs. I've uploaded the full project to:
http://www.wsanoise.com/testsite/download/FTNVistaDebugCrash2.zip

Is this just me or is it a general problem ?

Thanks,
Alan

! Debugging using step into on Win32 builds in Vista/VC2008 causes Visual Studio to
! hang when leaving the function for the second or third time. The crash does not
! appear to occur in VS2005
module TestMod

contains

integer function CrashOnStepin(num1, num2)
integer, intent(in):: num1
integer, intent(in):: num2

CrashOnStepin = num1 + num2
end function CrashOnStepin

end module TestMod

program FTN95VistaDebugCrash2
use TestMod

integer:: i, j

! Single step using step into and entering INTO function CrashOnStepin. Win32 debugger
! in Vista/VS2008 crashes VS on existing the function for the second or third time.
! Depending on the contents of the function this may occur sooner or later. You have
! to kill devenv.exe to get it to go away
j = 0
do i = 1, 42
j = CrashOnStepin(i, j)
print *, 'The answser is ', j
end do

print *, 'Test completed'
end program
Robert

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your report, we will look into it.
Andrew

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cannot reproduce this with 2008 on Vista (UAC on), so it looks like it might be an issue with your install. I can step into and through the entire program.

We did have some issues with the Win32 debugger on Vista a while back so I'm wondering if you might have a an old DLL hanging around if you have upgraded. I would make sure you have got the plugins installed properly. You don't need to uninstall/reinstall the whole ftn95 package to do this:

- Uninstall both the plugins from the control panel (2005 and 2008, they rely on the same binary even though they are seperate installs, so you need to make sure you do both).
- Make sure the plugin install directory is empty (C:\Program Files\Silverfrost\Silverfrost FTN95 for Visual Studio) by default
- Extract the msi's for the plugins from the main ftn95 install self-extractor (ftn95_personal.exe or ftn95_full.exe etc.). You can use 7zip (or probably Winzip/WinRAR, although I have not used them for years) to extract them.
- Install both plugins
acw

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been scrupulous about cleaning up the old plugins - I did a big uninstall and cleanup before the 5.21 install then installed the compiler and plugins together to C:\DevTools\Silverfrost - so the plugin has gone into the default FTN95 folder. Program Files has no Silverforst files in it - no chance of an issue due to my non-standard install location I suppose?

Am I right in thinking the 2005 and 2008 plugins use pretty much the same files ? That would tend to imply some issue with my 2008 install or 2008 itself, however I don't have any problems compiling other languages in 2008 and I use it constantly. The only other thing I can think of is I have the VS2008 C++ TR1/MFC feature pack installed.

Can you think of any way I might track down the problem - if it's a rogue DLL or something like that - any way to log what the debugger is doing at all ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forums.silverfrost.com Forum Index -> Support All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: